Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temporary relief?

Good day all

I have a physical therapy session this morning so it's a rare opportunity to get out of the house.

My question is this. Is there anything that I can buy at a pharmacy or grocery store that may help with any symptoms and will not impact the testing done at the neurologist on 02/05?

I'm currently taking Gabapentin 300mg 3x per day and my daily multi-vitamin, nothing else.

Though I'm having loads of not yet diagnosed symptoms, the 3 that are most problematic the last few days are:

1) pins & needles - they itch, burn & sting. All over my body and they won't get off me.

2) muscle spasms & twitching - I can neither be still in any position, sitting, standing or lying. Again, no muscle group anywhere is free of this.

3) balance & dizziness - one, the other or both are always present.

Is there anything that I can take? I realize there's little hope in getting anything off the shelf that'll make them stop, but hopefully there's something that'll provide just a little relief.

Thank you!
    ~Morphi~

Thrown from the top of the waterfall, well I'm drowning in piranhas in the river...man, what a drag!

First of all, Morphi, I am sorry for what you are going through. It is a challenge when symptoms interrupt our daily functioning.

Now if I understand you right, you are asking for OTC medications that could offer you some relief yet not interfere with an accurate neuro evaluation coming up?

Well, I do not know of anything to take for dizziness/balance issues except that med for inner ear problems which I think needs a RX, not sure.

Nor do I know of anything to take for pins and needle feelings. You can take a couple of good supplements for chronic spasms and MS or neuro type signs. You can take Vit D-3 at least 2000 units, but I take 5000 to keep my Vit D level at 70 which is the new recommendation for MS.

Then for spasms, you can take Magnesium and Potassium. Watch the sugar, diet supplements, like in soda or diet products which can lead to inflammatory symptoms.

Now the exam will look for weakness, lack of coordination/balance, optical issues, and such. You'll do the strength testing, and other tests for numbness and nerve conduction. They are all simple and quick. If there is any major nerve pathway issues, I believe this evaluation can pick up on that.

So, try not to worry. What does worrying get you but upset and waste you much needed energy.

Offer your neuro a medical history.
    List all signs/symptoms that have lasted over 24 hours or keep returning.

I have more cognitive issues which can be evaluated somewhat via a neuro psych test. However, their testing does miss some processing issues I have.

So good luck and let us know how you are doing. Remember, this is a process. It takes seeing MS type lesions on Brain MRI, along with LP (lumbar puncture) and other tests, along with the neuro exam to diagnose MS. And other deficiencies and disorders can mimic MS.

I'll be thinking of you!
    Warmly, Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

For your dizziness you can buy Meclizine OTC, or Bonnine. Meclizine is specific for dizziness though.

For spasms, you can buy Magnesium tablets. Just a vitamin. Its not going to do a ton for you but helps in a subtle way.

The vitamin D is a great idea.

Good luck
      Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Thank you Miss Jan!

I'll get vitamin D-3 and magnesium & potassium. I don't eat much sugar at all & haven't had a soda in about 20 years. Hmm maybe I need to wait for my next outing b/c I don't know how much, if any, of those things are in my vitamin. I'm on my way home now and don't have the bottle with me.

I'm not too worried about the neuro exam less the lumbar puncture. My arms and spine and have poked and prodded so many times in the last few months I'm surprised that I haven't sprung a leak.
        ~Morphi~

Thrown from the top of the waterfall, well I'm drowning in piranhas in the river...man, what a drag!

Comment

Thank you also 22cyclist! Sorry, I didn't see your post before
          ~Morphi~

Comment

take it easy

Until diagnosis is completed, take it easy. Good advice, by the way, re. potassium level. I am with you on not drinking soda; haven't had one in the same 20 years... I am trying Soy - instead of milk which I am allergic to- to keep up my potassium level.

Comment

Hi Distantshore

Sorry to hear about your allergy to milk. If you drink tea at all, try Chai with soy milk, it's delicious!

I checked the vitamin bottle and it says
              "Vitamin D (as Vitamin D3) 700IU 175%"
              "Magnesium 140mg 35%"

It doesn't have potassium so I'll make sure I'm getting enough of that and up the other two since they're low.

I'll also try meclizine or bonnine to see if either of those help.

Thank you all so much!
              ~Morphi~

Comment

I'd also talk to your PT. There are some non-pharmacy things that can help!

Comment

Originally posted by Mørphi View Post
                  1) pins & needles - they itch, burn & sting. All over my body and they won't get off me.
                  Hi Morphi,

Something that might help is altering the sensation (i.e. cold therapy). Here's a link to the National MS Society where this is mentioned:
                  http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ain/index.aspx

Hope this helps!
                  Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
                  X