Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shallow breathing/no lung capacity

hello everyone,

I'm in a wheelchair thru the day and a hospital bed at night (no use of legs). I have a lift in the bathroom that runs on a track on the ceiling. I'm still managing to take care of myself at home, but just barely.

After Xmas I was hospitalized for 5 days due to a virus. I didn't have much strength going in, so needless to say, 5 days in the hospital pretty much wiped me out. Even though I've been home for 3 wks doing what I can to regain my strength, at this point I don't feel like I'll ever be the same.

The thing that's bothering me most is my breathing. My voice is very weak and it takes multiple breaths to finish a sentence. It's hard to take in a deep breath.

I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with this problem. Maybe I can find some tips, exercises, or suggestions?

thanks in advance,
    melissa

First let me tell you how much I admire how well you are taking care of yourself. Your situation sure put my little problems into perspective.

I once had a pulmonary test prior to a surgery I was having and I remember the tech saying I had less lung capacity. Explained how I had the MS hug so severely for so many years, seems I do not expand my lungs as much. o2 always good though.

Few years prior a Rheumatologist was doing his exam and measured my rib cage saying I do not expand my rib cage much when I breathe.

Some mornings I wake up and cannot seem to get a good breath, but that doesn't happen that often.

Now what you are going through is another story. Have you had a chest xray? Anyone listen to your lungs? Or could you get a Pulmonary exam?

Again, I think you are amazing and I hope you get answers soon. Don't assume everything is MS, but if this IS related, ask for help hon.

Sending you an extra, caring HUG~

Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Melissa, You are incredible! I cannot believe you are managing to take care of yourself alone - I know how everything - every.little.thing. takes so much energy it wipes me out. I don't know how you are doing it. I bow to you, my lady!

I, too, have had lung issues - the worse I get with my MS (I'm SPMS), the more difficulty I have. Ironically, diagnosed with Asthma AFTER being diagnosed with MS. When I was RMSS, every episode, had more trouble breathing. Had one "episode" in the past that seriously affected my breathing - totally freaked me out. Both MS Neurologist and Pulmonologist concurred that MS can affect breathing.

Yes, it can be MS - it's also one of those things that you shouldn't mess around with...call your doc.

Keep the faith,
      Debbie

Comment

Hi Melissa,

I'm sorry to hear about your recent hospitalization and breathing difficulties. I've dealt with this to some extent in the past, but your situation sounds more serious and much more complicated than mine was. I agree with the other posters - I think it's really important for you to have this addressed by a dr. ASAP. My thought was you might also need to see a respiratory therapist.

My breathing difficulties occurred after spending several months in the hospital and sub-acute rehab facilities. Eventually, my ability to take deeper breaths improved after another several months of physical & occupational therapy. I also used a spirometer several times a day, every day. (Eventually, I also began blowing up balloons as well, several times a day.) I think it's important to mention my 02 levels were always OK.

You are an inspiration to us and I truly hope your drs. can soon help you breathe easier. I hope you'll keep us posted on how you are doing. And, welcome to MS World! Sorry for the reason you are here, but we're glad you joined us.

Take care ,
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
        X