Better get a lawyer, son, better get a real good one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better get a lawyer, son, better get a real good one

E and nuff. The Editor is holidaying for another fortnight, the Fluffster won't do extra days to help cover because she, well, just won't.

Two more full-time weeks (usually three days, nicely spaced). I am a complete gutless wonder. I just can't believe people I've known for years would treat me so shabbily.

I've tried explaining the problem (I'm knackered and I can't walk). "You're a bit tense, aren't you?," says Office Manager. Nothing fluffy about her.

"No, no, no, no, not tense, as such, at all, what part of 'I'm knackered and I can't walk' did you not grasp?," says I as my teeth grind down to the gum-line.

"You'll be right to come in tomorrow though, won't you?"

Who's using the family brain cell this week, I think.

Not me, because I say, "Well, yes, I suppose, if there's no one else."
    There is never anyone else.

I love this little paper, you see, and I actually care about what's in it. (Goondiwindi Argus, circulation 3,200, dropping like a crow in a heat wave. Follow us on twitter, like us on facebook, subscribe to our not-so-fabulous e-edition. Just don't buy a paper.)

Hopeless at confrontation. I know ulcers aren't caused by stress. If they were, my stomach lining would resemble an isolated, virulent, internal case of smallpox.

I fear they are hoping I'll jump before they push, thereby saving themselves a lot of money. I'm on the ledge, but I'm clinging on by my toenails.

Time to "grow a pair", or call those nice no win, no pay lawyers, who might write a letter about unfair treatment of disabled employees and the financial consequences.

there's the Aussie I have grown to know and love!

Absolutely grow a pair. Time to sit the manager down and have a huge heart to heart (again) !!

Document everything!

Once you have contacted a lawyer things usually go to hell but really sounds like you are there already...

Here's a hug from the States to help you through another day!

Sally Forth!

J
    Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Thinkimjob, so sorry to hear you are being treated so shabbily and betrayed by those you've considered friends, people you considered much more than co-workers.

Is your reduced work schedual a formal agreement with your employer? Is your employer legally required to offer the reduced schedule? Are you keeping a journal of all 'incidents' that compromised you reduced work schedule agreement?

The option to continue doing nothing may cost you dearly both in terms of your health/MS and your financial wellbeing well into the future. If your 'gut' intitution is telling you something is up, you should listen-up and take some action to protect yourself.

I'm not familiar with employment laws and/or disability while working, but do consider consulting with an attorney Do a bit of research on your own regarding employment and disability law and your current situation. Be prepared for things to get ugly.

Wishing you the very best.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post

I fear they are hoping I'll jump before they push, thereby saving themselves a lot of money. I'm on the ledge, but I'm clinging on by my toenails.

They play that same game in Australia, too?! A regular Mexican stand-off. They could really look like the "bad guy" for firing someone with MS, and if they are doing as poorly as you say, a lawsuit from you is the last thing they want orneed. Maybe growing that set and "scheduling" a meeting is the best course of action for all involved. I am big on bringing notes in these situations in case my nerves (which are already shot from MS!) get the best of me.

And yes, document EVERY injustice (keep a calender in fact just for this purpose). Names, dates, times...details, details, details. CYA
        Tawanda

Comment

Thinkimjob: As others have said, document everything.

Horrible to think your coworkers would treat you like this especially knowing what you're going through. You've been dealing with these thoughtless, selfish beings for too long. I sincerely hope something good comes your way SOON!

Bree

Comment

Just a thought bring a tape recorder and say" I'll need to record this to make sure I understand your position" or something close. Can you say ATTN ATTN ATTN

Comment

Job, I agree with the previous posters - definitely document and get yourself an attorney.

I don't recall what your position is with paper (Editor?), but if it's not writing, you are seriously missing your calling, my dear.

Remember, with every closed door, there's an open window.

You are quite gifted with your words. Just something to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
                "You'll be right to come in tomorrow though, won't you?"

Who's using the family brain cell this week, I think.

Not me, because I say, "Well, yes, I suppose, if there's no one else."
                There is never anyone else.

Well there's your problem right there. If these people are as dumb as you say, they definitely can't read minds. Say, "I can only swing a half day tomorrow. I'm having mobility and fatigue issues as I've stated before."

Comment

Ah ha, my myelin-depleted friend. I grew a set. Or one, at least.
                  No good being passive-aggressive, really, though you do get the warm inner glow of martyrdom.

And work has its advantages. All day doing the "Court Report", nice lawyer said he would write a nasty letter whenever I wanted.

Comment

The Think I know always had "a pair". You just decided to finally expose them a little...good on you!

DebbieBs advice was sage...you do have a gift...your writing skills and humor are extraordinary. You are talented in that regard. Have you thought about freelancing?
                    Katie
                    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                    "My MS is a Journey for One."
                    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by jkforrest View Post
                      Just a thought bring a tape recorder and say" I'll need to record this to make sure I understand your position" or something close. Can you say ATTN ATTN ATTN
                      Love this idea (has anyone has seen "Saving Mr. Banks" and the regarding the tape recording part?)!
                      Tawanda

Comment

Definitely keep a log. This happened to me with my previous employer, before MS, just ON. Here it's called constructive dismissal... where they make it unbearable to work there, hoping you'll just quit. I took them to the Ontario Human Rights Commission, it was a matter of principle. I won, got a nice settlement then found a new job.

Keep a close eye on Fluffy Rabbit, she may be feeding them false info! Good luck!

Jen
                        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post

Keep a close eye on Fluffy Rabbit, she may be feeding them false info! Good luck!

Jen
                          Good point!
                          Tawanda

Comment

Thanks for the morale-boosting compliments.

Only one on display so far, Katie, my dear presumably frozen American friend.
                            The other will be revealed in all its glory today.

More to come...

Comment

It seems like things at work have gone south quickly. I'm so sorry

I agree with everyone; document everything and keep your chin up!
                              Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X