Has anyone heard of this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone heard of this?

I have had an ear ache, a bad one for over 2 months. Went to PCP, then to ENT. On antibiotics, CT scans. Dr. looked down my sinus'. hearing tests, crystal test. ENT said nerve damage due to MS. Go to a Neuro. I told him I have one and I see him next week. He told me to take the copy of CT scan to Neuro. I dropped it off yesterday so Neuro could look at a so called 'clean CT scan. And I see him next week.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?
    SgrammieD

I have hearing loss in one side and my neurologist did not think that it was from MS, but she did say she could not be sure. So I went to the ENT doctor and he ordered an MRI, and sure enough on the nerve that enables hearing I have a lesion. So I guess what I am saying is that it is possible.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thanks Huntered

Thanks. I know my ENT is one of the best around here. And I trust him. But I still had a doubt.

I know my MS has been acting up for quite a few months now. Even went to the eye drs. Trying to do the eye test and 'cog fog' could not remember what a couple of the letters were called. I had to 'air' write them. Thankfully they all knew I have MS. It is where my DD works. So the whole crew had a good laugh.
      SgrammieD

Comment

Thanks Hunterd

Thanks. My ENT is one of the best around here. First one called in the ER even. But ...

My MS has been acting up for quite a few months now. Even with cog fog. Try going to an eye dr. appt. and forgetting how to say letters on an eye chart. I had to 'air write' them. Good thing they all knw I had the cog fog problem. I got teased the rest of the appt. My DD works there.
        SgrammieD

Comment

MS lesions are generally too small to show up on a CT. It's the rule rather than the exception that MS lesions don't show up on CT. So if your nerve damage is really from MS as your ENT suspects, it would be unusual for it to show up on a CT, and your CT could look completely normal. That's not a surprise at all. CT is not the right test for looking for MS lesions.

It's also possible for an MS lesion to be too small to show up on an MRI too. So if you were to have an MRI, nerve damage from MS might show up but then again it might not. That's just how it is. Best thing is to ask your neurologist about it.

Comment

Sorry about the ear pain.

Any of the neuralgias can be the cause of ear pain in MS: trigeminal neuralgia, glossopharyngeal neuralgia, or geniculate neuralgia.

Genuculate neuralgia is felt almost exclusively in the ear and can feel like an ice pick pain...it can last for hours at a time.

And for the good news . These neuralgias can coexist and you can suffer from more than one at any given time...hoping you get some relief and they're able to pinpoint a diagnosis. there are meds for neuralgias which can help lessen the pain.

Comment

Before I was diagnosed with ms, I had a CT scan that was normal. Shortly after, I had an MRI. It was the MRI that showed lesions.

Comment

Thanks for the replys

I had my first sx with MS when I was 16 in 1966 was not
                dxed until 2004 or 05. I have MRIs every year. My lesions are at my brain stem, large ones, and at the front of my brain on the left and right side. I don't think the front ones are active anymore, but the ones on the brain stem keep flaring up. This ear thing just has me baffled. It has nothing to do with the jaw thing, that has been ruled out.

Thanks to all who replied. I'll see what my Neuro says on Wed.
                Thanks again. This is the best place and you all are great.
                SgrammieD

Comment

beginning this road

I am beginning this road. I am sure that it is nerve pain.

But, I am already on a high dose of nerve pain med. It can be increased. Not sure/not in enough pain with it to increase my dose and the side effects.

Started with an odd feeling in my outer ear, like a decrease in sensation. This is on the side that my MS started and is the most dominant. I already have/had a 75% decrease in sensation on the right hemisphere of my body before I felt this in my ear.

It got worse with a recent upper respiratory eppisode.

Family doctor treated URI. Did not see anything wrong with canal or ear drum of that ear. Neuro exam and he saw nothing wrong with the ear drum or canal.

Gave me referral for ENT that I have an appointment later this month. This is just to make sure it is nothing from his stand point before I "live with it."

The other thing is that I have a lot of sensory with my hearing. I can not stand talking on the phone. The concentration of the sound, including on speaker phone is to much for me. It gives me like an aura that I use to have before a seizure that I use to have.

Thank you for creating this thread. Confirmed what I was thinking. Now for the ENT to confirm or blow the theory.
                  God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Kelm10/Mary

Wishing you the best Mary with the ENT appt. As for talking on the phone, same for me.

My right side is my worse side, so this left ear is something else. I can't wait til Wed to see what my Neuro says.

Wishing you the best and God Bless you also.

Sandy
                    SgrammieD

Comment

I went to the ENT for, what I thought, was wax build up in my ear. Well, he suggested an MRI to make sure there was no tumor. The results were nerve damage, not a tumor. Now I'm dealing with the constant whooshing in my ear.

Allison

Comment

Allieh59 So sorry to hear about the whooshing. Hope it goes away soon. That started for me yesterday morning and won't go away, so far. The pain is back for the last hour.

Thank goodness for spell check.

Wishing all Gods Blessings. and have a good day.

Gonna take a pain pill and try and take a nap after the pain pill takes affect.
                        SgrammieD

Comment

Working...
                        X