Stroke like MS attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stroke like MS attack

Hi, this is for my sister who is currently in the ER.
    The drs and neurologists say she has a stroke like MS attack and her whole right side of her body is numb.

No definite diagnosis, but she has old and active lesions on her brain MRI in the correct ms locations for ms according to her neurologists. Spinal tap will confirm which is scheduled for tomorrow.

Has anyone experienced an attack like this and would like to share their story and give advise? I would greatly appreciate it.
    Amanda
    DX RRMS 2008 - 2013
    Copaxone 2008 - 2010
    Limbo - 2013
    3 Relapses of Optic Neuritis 2008-2013

So sorry!

First of all sorry to hear she is having so much trouble! If you are there with her, she is very lucky to have a sister like you. Yes, I experienced an attack like that just almost a year ago. I suddenly couldn't move my right side and it was numb with intermittent tingling and pain. I also had trouble with my speech. I had what they called expressive aphagia. I knew what I wanted to say I just couldn't get it out of my mouth. It was very frightening. I was in the hospital on IV steroids for approximately 5 days and it probably took about 2 days to even see any type of improvement.

I hope that your sisters episode isn't as difficult. Please tell her that I send her hope for a speedy recovery!
    RRMS diagnosed 10/2011
    Rebif since 2012, Vitamin D 4000IU

Comment

A stroke like MS attack is what led to my diagnosis. I woke up with pins and needles in my left hand and foot. Within three days from my chin down on the left side was numb and very weak. My speech was slow and barely coherent. I also had double and blurry vision.

Stroke or brain tumor was what was initially suspected. After MRI showed 7 old and 3 active lesions I was diagnosised with MS. Spent 5 days in the hospital getting IV steroids which didn't seem to help much. It was another week after that before I stopped getting worse and finally started to improve. That was 11 months ago and I still have lingering symptoms but they are minor compared to what I experienced during the worst of my flare.

I hope your sister has a quick recovery!

Comment

Yes, I had a debilitating relapse much like you describe...in Feb. 2013. I went to bed one night feeling fine and the next morning I couldn't stand or walk without assistance. My right side was useless. Couldn't lift my arm, hold a pen or coffee cup. I couldn't lift my leg or foot.

I had five straight days of IV steroids and it took a couple of weeks to see any improvement but things did get better. Not to where I was before, but finally I could do things for myself. It was an awful time for me and I'm sure it is for your sister too.

Tell her to remain confident and optimistic. And you be her advocate...she needs another pair of ears listening to everything the doctors say. I'll be keeping your sister in my prayers.

Comment

Thank You

Thank you for sharing,
          This really helps and gives us hope for recovery.

Her speech is slurred just like you mentioned and she’s having a hard time saying what she needs. We weren’t sure if that was the MS or the drugs and steroids.
          She’s also aggravated and irritated, I was saying that could be from the steroids because I get irritated when I get them, and she’s on a super high dose of them.

I’m trying to comfort her and her husband (my Brother-in-law) who is staying beside her this whole time,
          but I could only give my advice with my experience with optic neuritis flairs and steroids, but you can’t compare ON to half your body paralyzed and not being able to speak.
          It’s nice to hear stories from people who have had the same experience with a positive outcome.
          I’m still in shock and just can’t believe this happened to her, and she has a beautiful 6-month year old baby boy, I hope she recovers soon.
          Thank you again, I’ll have more questions later.
          Amanda
          DX RRMS 2008 - 2013
          Copaxone 2008 - 2010
          Limbo - 2013

Comment

Yes, the first attack that started me on the path to diagnosis was I woke up one morning (4 days after my 40th birthday to be exact) with my entire left side numb from shoulder to toes.

Comment

Tumefactive MS

The neuro said she has Tumefactive MS.
              Were any of you diagnosed with this? From what I've read it pretty rare, but it sounds like what you all have been thru.
              Should we have her get a second opinion?

Also were any of you combative and yelled a lot during this?
              ---Thanks Again
              Amanda
              DX RRMS 2008 - 2013
              Copaxone 2008 - 2010
              Limbo - 2013

Comment

Yes, I have a probable tumefactive lesion (which was also my initial lesion). I have a very large lesion in my cervical spine that goes from C2 to C4. It was originally thought it might be cancer, but was later diagnosed as ms. That is the only one I have though and the handful in my brain are described as "pinpricks".

Comment

It breaks my heart to hear she has a six month old. My son was 10 months old when I had my attack. It was the hardest and most frustrating time for me. I was breast feeding so had to deal with suddenly stopping that on top of everything else. I thankfully had a lot of support to help with him because I couldn't carry him. I sat in the chair and people brought him to me for about a month before I felt strong enough to pick him up.

My kids are what kept me positive and gave me the desire to get out of bed and do what I can. I started rebif shortly after my attack and have not had another flare since.

I agree with ZSP, you really need to be her advocate. I had a hard time processing what was being said to me during that time. My mind just didn't work, my husband made sure I got what I needed.

Comment

Working...
                  X