Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BATHING NIGHTMARES

This is a topic i hate to discuss but need help or advice,
    Everyt time i take a shower i either cant get out of the tub or even when i get out i freeze up.
    i have had showers of all temps doesnt matter what temp.
    Bathing has become a complete nightmare.Have shower chair still no luck

Anyone else having same issues, it appears temp related.

i almost feel like im allergic to water which of course i am not.

Very frustrated

I have the same problem, maybe not as severely as you describe, but bathing is definately a problem.

I don't tolerate cold temps or even tepid bath water. My bath water has to be hot, which not only is a matter of comfort, but also helps with tightness, stiffness and pain. I then experience extreme weakness from the hot bath water.

Of course it's a constant battle through out the day trying to balance stiff-tight-freezing cold extremeties, while keeping core body temps cool to avoid making me 'weak as a kitten' a result of 'over heating'. I've also experienced muscle movement type of 'freezing up' reaction after bathing.

I haven't figured out a good solution much beyond keeping a cold glass of water handy at all times, even while bathing. It helps only slightly, but things improve just enough to make it worth mentioning.

Comment

The cold water is a great idea, also an ice pop will help as well, you can suck on it until you cool off until just the right temp, then throw it away. Just pop it out of the freezer before the bath, let it thaw a bit (no brain freeze then), and then have a bit as soon as you get out. Another idea are those neck cooling devices. Some are cooled by beads that cool down when dunked in cold water, some are cooled by tiny frozen packs. You can buy the ones cooled by beads at many sporting goods stores, like REI and the like. Place them in cold water while you get into the shower/bath, and place them on your neck once you get out. They will cool you down without the chill of a cold room. Of course you have to turn up the heat in that room to make that happen.

If that doesn't help, you may want to consider a warm set of pants and shirt (like PJs) for yourself after a shower. Either heated in the dryer, or warmed by a heater. These should cut down on those after shower chills. A great pair of wool socks or at least fluffy socks with slippers is a must have in the winter.

You can use a heated blanket on low until your temperature recovers. Sometimes the chills can be just as bad as overheating.

Hope you feel better soon!
      Take care
      Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Issue not so much heat its. Cold as well
        As heat. the cooling items r good.
        For example during hot months I do not function to well as you
        Yourselves also have those issues.
        However cold weather I think is worse.
        Yesterday wife pulled car into garage so I wouldn't have to exit in cold air.
        Garage was still cool and I got one leg out of car and got stuck,
        Had to go to garage floor to then get assisted into house.
        H
        It just seems no matter what temp variations mess me up big time heat or cold
        I cant find a happy medium
        :-(

Comment

Extreme temps do me in as well. Heat makes me weak, dizzy and very tired. Totally wipes me out. Cold does a number on me, also. My muscles are very stiff, spastic. Since they don't work well, I can't shiver. Muscles just lock up. Especially my neck. I used to like summer and winter. Now I dread them.

So here's what I do.

First, since I'm alone most of the day, I take a phone in the bathroom and place as close to the shower as possible. If it is cold out, I turn up the heat, close the door and run hot water in the shower. Muscles love hot water. The difference for summer is, obviously, I don't turn up the furnace, I leave to door open and the water is a bit cooler. Taking an early shower in the summer is helpful, too.

After directing water on my neck a few minutes,I turn the hot water down some . And I keep turning it down, at intervals, til it is nearly cool and wash my face and hair. I'll turn it off then, and struggle to get out.

The only thing I can tell you about getting out is to get rid of the tub and purchase a shower insert thingy that sits pretty much flush to the floor. My hubby and I have discussed this and it's the next thing on the list.

If I get too hot, I open the door to let cooler air in. Luckily, the bathroom door is close to the shower and I can open it if I get too hot in the shower. Since the bathroom is warmer, I don't seem to lock up as much. It takes me nearly an hour to shower and to dress. Most days, I need to rest afterwards. The days of showering and dressing in 15 minutes are long gone.

Do you have safety bars in your shower? They really help me get in and out. I have a long one in the shower and a short one just outside. And I do have a shower chair. I do most of my cleansing sitting down.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Hello. There's an old thread here somewhere about "shower avoidance syndrome" that has some good ideas.

I dread shower-time. What's a bit of grime? I'm not actually smelly yet, can't I leave it for another day?, I ask myself. Dirt is good for the immune system, isn't it?

One thing I do now is make sure there's a phone within reach, just in case. Started this after one experience where I just plain could not get out of the bath. Legs not co-operating, no strength in arms.

Water cooled off, feeling returned, made it in the end, but t'was a precarious situation to find myself in. No one was home.

Haven't had to use it, but it's reassuring.

Comment

Thank u all for input i know some things i will put in practice.

I think a walk in. shower is a must but so are funds to do that.
              A little of my history

i was DXD back in 2011 feb. week b4 my birthday.
              Doc told me that the meds i have are working and is stopping any more lesions.
              i stupidly thought that this is o.k. if this is as bad as it gets.
              How WRONG WAS I.
              Just bought the house (bank still owns it)2 year pre dx talk about added stress once i found out my DX

So here 3 years later,still working, just. keeps roof over our head, always worried of losing job, i know that long term disability is 60 % of my wage i hear that i would get ssdi also but unsure what that would add up to.
              i struggle walking, dressing,my arm does not work so well difficulty putting on jacket,sometimes my fingers don't work well either.I was on betaseron for probably year + then tysarbi for 6 months was hospitalized 3 times while on it not sure what caused it but told doc its not for me. now been off everything for 8 weeks looking at tecfidera next.

I Am happy to be a part of this MS Family and absorb the helpful productive input you all provide

Everything is a challenge any more

I have ms and ms has me

Comment

Working...
              X