Curious about wheeling...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious about wheeling...

I'm not in a wheelchair and I don't use a scooter etc. But lately I feel like I can see a device in my future.

I'm wondering how people learn to navigate in a chair. What do you do about opening doors and getting up over curbs etc? How do you handle stairs? And getting in and out of cars?

When you buy a chair do they give your instructions? Is there training involved?
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

I have used the ones in the stores because I see myself owning one soon as well. It's easy in the store and most stores have automatic doors, but I haven't thought about the other stuff.

Good questions. Can't wait to see the answers from the more experienced.
    DIAGNOSED=2012
    ISSUES LONG BEFORE
    REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Occupational therapy usually teaches you, maybe physical therapy.

Comment

Talk to your dr about assessment and training with an OT. When you buy a chair online or from a DME supplier, usually it's just a sizing and buying or just buying.

Opening doors that push in is easy, you just push them open with the chair. Ones that have to be pulled toward you are more tricky. Usually, I pull toward the side of the doorway, swing the door open as wide as I can, inch in and catch the door before it slams the chair. Then you can use the door itself to pull you through.

Curbs can be navigated by doing a mini-wheelie that gets your casters onto the curb, then power yourself over. If you have someone pushing you or a spotter, they can push you over after you do the wheelie or they tilt you backward and up.

There is actually a way to go down stairs in a chair, but I don't recommend it unless you have good upper body strength or it's an emergency. You face the stairs backwards and with one hand on the rail and the other braking the opposite wheel, you lean forward and more or less do a controlled roll down. Not fun and a bad idea if you use a folding chair. I learned it, but would only do it if escaping a burning building.

If you're talking about just out and about, say shopping, look for the ramps or an elevator. The vast majority of public buildings comply with accessibility laws and the ones that are exempt usually attempt to do something even if they don't have to. One or two steps can be dealt with using the wheelie method and a friend if you need the help or there's more than one step. There're also portable ramps, but they aren't convenient for public buildings. They can be handy when visiting a friend's house or something like that, though.

Getting in and out of cars depends on the vehicle , the chair and your function. Most of it evolves from trial and error once you live with your chair and abilities in it for a while. If you can stand, you simply open the car door, get as close as you can, stand and get in, butt first, swinging legs in. Can't stand and your chair and seat are close in height? Slide your butt out of the chair and into the seat using your arms and butt scooting. This assumes that you've bought a chair appropriate for transfers like that with either no arm rests or swing away rests. SUVs mean you have to transfer onto the floor , then into the seat if you can't stand or have a helpful travel companion.

I hope that helps. Much of it is picked up as you go along, even with training.

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
          I'm not in a wheelchair and I don't use a scooter etc. But lately I feel like I can see a device in my future.

I'm wondering how people learn to navigate in a chair. What do you do about opening doors and getting up over curbs etc? How do you handle stairs? And getting in and out of cars?

When you buy a chair do they give your instructions? Is there training involved?

I learned on my own. When I need to open a door, I partially open it then blocked it from shutting, and I slowly work my way into the door frame. I do not handle stairs at all (not mobile) I did not get any instructions when I first got my chair, but when I got my power chair the guys that delivered it gave me a quick tutorial.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I rented a go go ECV for my 10 day disney world trip due to my foot issue and it was really easy. It broke down to 4 easy pieces to put in the truck of our full size car rental. We went to malls, outlets, and disney park, never had to jump a curb or deal with a door that did not have a automatic opener. Good luck. I hope it will be quite some years before I have to own one.
            I did watch YouTube videos before going to have some idea of what to do.

Comment

What would we all do without the internet?? Thanks guys.
              Marti

Comment

Hey Marti, try going the physical therapy route. They will usually recommend a small scooter. The small ones break down to the weight of less than a wheelchair and you can put them in the car trunk, or the SUV. Both the representative from the company and the PT spend time with you teaching you how to use the product. I use a rollator to get around, and a scooter for distance. I can break down this scooter by leaning against the back of my SUV and can put in the back of it broken down. I then hold onto the car to get back to the driver's seat. It works so far. When I need further help I may need an accessible van.

For now, I love my little scooter. I can use it outside to go shopping, for a ride around the neighborhood, to the hockey games. I use it inside on days where I just can't walk. It is so small it zips around the house and gets me anywhere I want to go.

Your PT will help you decide what kind of device is best for you-before you go internet shopping. Plus they do all of the paperwork so you don't have to worry about the expenses.

Take care of yourself and good luck with your search.

Lisa
                Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
                  Hey Marti, try going the physical therapy route. They will usually recommend a small scooter. The small ones break down to the weight of less than a wheelchair and you can put them in the car trunk, or the SUV. Both the representative from the company and the PT spend time with you teaching you how to use the product. I use a rollator to get around, and a scooter for distance. I can break down this scooter by leaning against the back of my SUV and can put in the back of it broken down. I then hold onto the car to get back to the driver's seat. It works so far. When I need further help I may need an accessible van.

For now, I love my little scooter. I can use it outside to go shopping, for a ride around the neighborhood, to the hockey games. I use it inside on days where I just can't walk. It is so small it zips around the house and gets me anywhere I want to go.

Your PT will help you decide what kind of device is best for you-before you go internet shopping. Plus they do all of the paperwork so you don't have to worry about the expenses.

Take care of yourself and good luck with your search.

Lisa

Wow, thanks so much. I used to go to PT, but am not enrolled now. They felt there wasn't much more they could do for me. I never thought to ask them about a scooter. Didn't know they could get involved with that. Do I need a prescription or something from the neuro?
                  Marti

Comment

Training in the use of a wheelchair is probably a very good idea if you can get it. I didn't have it, and my 30 years using a manual wheelchair have involved some scary times when I went pitching out of it or very nearly got tossed out of it.

Sometimes you just have to wait for someone to come along to help you--doors, curbs--or else go considerably out of your way to get to a better situation.

My doctor is going to prescribe a replacement chair for me now as my chair's wheels are worn down and can no longer be replaced. I've been told I might be sent to occupational therapy or physical therapy for an evaluation first, to get the right kind of chair.

It's really important to get the seating right. How your back and arms and legs are supported is also very important.
                    MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10. Glatiramer acetate 40 mg (= Copaxone) 2021- 3/16/24

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
                      Do I need a prescription or something from the neuro?
                      Yes, if you want to have your insurance cover the purchase of the chair, you have to have a prescription for it. You may also need a referral for the therapist , depending on your insurance.

The assessment is important to make sure you get the proper chair, power chair or scooter for your needs, as well as having the proper measurements taken. There is a very wide selection of chairs available, so it's important to get the right one for you.

For example, the standard basic chairs like the ones you see in hospitals, can weigh close to 40 pounds. My chair, an ultra light Top End Reveal, weighs about 20 pounds, making it far more easy to push, plus it has quick release wheels. I can take the wheels off and pop it into either the backseat of the car or the trunk. It's very easy to transport and at 20 lbs, way lighter than standard chairs and scooters.

However, a scooter might be more appropriate for you. Or a folding chair or a power chair. It all boils down to what will work for you, what the dr will Rx (make sure dr is specific, ie light, ultralight and so on, on the Rx so insurance will be more likely to cover what you need) and what you can afford.

Best of luck!

Comment

Marti: Your PT will get the prescription from your neuro and will make sure the specifics are in there. Most PTs recommend something called a go-go scooter now days. It breaks down to no more than 30 pounds, and lighter if you take the battery out. Easy to assemble, long battery life, tight turning radius, good for inside and out. It is a three wheeled scooter though so there is a risk of falls if you take it down a hill at an angle, you may fall over (I mean its a three wheeler for goodness sake!)

There are many other choices. This is just the smallest one. Others offer many other perks. You will get to talk through the pros and cons with the PT. You will also get to talk through the wheelchairs.

Good luck!
                        Lisa
                        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                        Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                        X