NHL Goalie w/MS - on IR for MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NHL Goalie w/MS - on IR for MS

Josh Harding, diagnosed with MS, is a professional goalie for the Minnesota Wild. Josh is being placed on the "injured reserve" list to change MS treatments according to team officials.

“Over the next week, Josh will make a minor adjustment to his treatment protocol,” Wild GM Chuck Fletcher said in a statement issued by the team.

Despite MS, Harding is having a terrific year and
    is the starting goalie in Minnesota. He ranks first in the NHL in goals-against average (1.51), tied for first in shutouts (three), second in save percentage (.939) and tied for second in wins (18).

Note: I did not find a resource to say what the change in treatment was. I do find it interesting that he would make a treatment change during the season.

Marco: I love this kid! You are right he has had a great year. Went from backup goalie to starter for the Wild and can do some moves that despite MS I would never be able to do. I am a Carolina Hurricanes fan, but he is for sure one of my fantasy hockey goalies. No official word from the team about the kind of Tx he is on or changing to, and there probably never will be. Unless he decides he wants to share it on his twitter feed or something, it will most likely remain unknown to the public to protect his privacy.

Glad you mentioned him. I mentioned him in a thread about some NASCAR driver that has MS. Not a peep. I mean just to be able to go up and down like goalies do, side to side on ice skates, see a puck flying at you at 90 mph, that is impressive with MS.

Thanks
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

For an MSer to operate as a professional athlete is incredible. His abilities to function should, in no way, make the public assume that MS is the same for all MSer's. The fact that some MSer's can function at a high level, like Jack Osbourne or Josh Harding, is not the NORMAL for all of us. They function well despite their MS. I wish them success.

Comment

Yes

Whenever there is news of someone with MS doing remarkably well (which we are all glad to hear!), it unfortunately leaves many to question why the rest of us aren't doing so well. I, like most of us, can't believe some of the comments/remarks I've received from people over the years about how this disease has affected others and how well they are doing.

Comment

"Glad you mentioned him. I mentioned him in a thread about some NASCAR driver that has MS. Not a peep. I mean just to be able to go up and down like goalies do, side to side on ice skates, see a puck flying at you at 90 mph, that is impressive with MS. "

that is impressive with or without MS! It is amazing, what goalies have to do, and to throw MS into that equation is mind boggling to me!
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I read that article too and could not find any more info on the line that said to the effect of "his dr said with changing his diet he could manage his disease better" or something like that. I wonder what he did. Anyone thoughts?

Comment

I'd imagine that as a professional athlete his diet and exercise regime would be just about as good as you could get.
              Don't know whether it's suitable/ or even possible for the rest of us.

Comment

Whether or not he is receiving the 'best' that is available, regarding diet and exercise, we know that this disease cannot be stopped by any means or modifications at this time. I believe there is some promise in the near future.

Comment

Well, as long as we're speculating here...

Maybe he's going out of country for stem cell or alemtuzumab treatment. Both of which would take down his immune system for a while.

Maybe he's getting some rituximab (ocrelizumab) in a trial or off label setting. I don't know enough about that to know what it does to you.

Or maybe he's getting Tecfidera, and he's taking a few weeks to adjust to the belly aches.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                    For an MSer to operate as a professional athlete is incredible. His abilities to function should, in no way, make the public assume that MS is the same for all MSer's. The fact that some MSer's can function at a high level, like Jack Osbourne or Josh Harding, is not the NORMAL for all of us. They function well despite their MS. I wish them success.
                    This is the same problem I have with the people in the public with MS. I am beyond happy that they are doing so well, but be sure to explain to the public that this is not normal for all MSers.

A dancer, basketball prayer, goalie, race car driver. There is no way on earth that I could do any of those things.

As you say I have MS and I am a goalie, say I am not the norm. Tell people of the hard times and the times when you don't feel so good.

We will never get support if no one knows the hard times we have.
                    DIAGNOSED=2012
                    ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                    REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Josh has been out on IR before because of MS and being sick. He was out for a while. The NHL broadcasters and NHL website make a big deal about how hard it is for him to play with MS. So I don't think anyone in the hockey world thinks he is just playing hockey and there is no trouble and no problems with MS. Obviously with him everyone knows he is sick and that he has problems with his disease. He doesn't need a walker, but they have seen him leave the game needing support, and be gone for weeks at a time, come back after a week of conditioning and then play again. It is amazing what he can do and something that can inspire other MSers not irritate them because he is not more disabled.

Josh is not a celebrity either. Its not often that an NHLer besides Sidney Crosby gets to be in the spotlight for anything more than 1 minute in their life. So, you can look at this with a positive spin. This article may not have mentioned how bad MS is, but the NHL always talks about it and how hard it is for Josh. So the league takes care of that part for the watchers of hockey. Its not lost on them.

Take care
                      Lisa
                      Moderation Team
                      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                      Tysabri

Comment

It is an interesting dilemma. For me, MSers who function well are incredibly helpful when I feel sure that my life is over with this disease. I don't have any measurable disability, but if I go to enough support groups or get handed enough NMSS brochures, I can get very depressed about my future.

Then I'll go watch a Hal Ketchum video or read a recent Joan Dideon interview. It helps a lot.

On the other hand, I do understand that public perception might become that the disease is not really so bad. And I suppose that's why those NMSS brochures feature that happy elderly lady strapped to her wheelchair at a picnic waiting to eat her donut.

But yikes!

Comment

We are your stereotypical Canadian hockey family (watching Team Canada's 1st game in the World Juniors as I type)... eh!

I just gotta say, any hockey equipment is heavy... but I'm impressed, goalie equipment weighs a ton. Not only that, goalies have to be able to play a lot of time bending, getting up quickly, just having superior reflexes in this equipment, which becomes even heavier when sweat and melted rink ice is added!

I wish him great success!

Jen
                          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Annette Funicello...

Unfortunately, MS can take a really bad course, too, as those later in life pictures of Annette Funicello reveal. Of course, there was Richard Pryor as well (but let's face it, he was never exactly a health nut).

I am all about Montel, Jack Osbourne and everyone else who seems to be doing well with their MS at this time. That is what I wish for all of us here (outside of a straight out cure). I just don't want the public forgetting the flip-side of this disease when deciding how their precious charity dollars get spent...!
                            Tawanda

Comment

I also want to congratulate all MSers who still manage to stay employed, even though they might have more mundane, regular jobs that no one ever talks about. These are amazing people also who often do not have the power to disclose, but are out there busting their butts nonetheless. my hat is off to you guys as well!
                              Tawanda

Comment

Working...
                              X