Anyone with Osteoporosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone with Osteoporosis?

I'm trying to decide if I should start taking the Osteo meds. Everything I read about them is scary. But I probably should get started on them. Just looking for some people with experience with this one. Thanks
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

No, but I have lowered bone mineral density. Were you tested or diagnosed with osteoporosis?

Comment

Just had my bi-annual

dexascan earlier this week. I was diagnosed with osteopenia a few years ago. I take Evista. I also have hypothyroidism; it's my understanding that bone loss is common with that. Steroids cause it as well.

Comment

I was dx with osteoporosis after my last scan. I also am hypothyroid after having Graves and RAI. I am just so afraid of these drugs. They sound so awful on paper.
        Marti

Comment

I had Graves prior

to my hypothyroidism as well. I'm concerned also over all the drugs in fact, recently, I've had a few cavities - went years with no cavities.
          I also take Vesicare - which can cause dry mouth which can cause cavities..... Not very pleased about this.

Comment

Well...my only sibling was in Medicine. She developed early onset osteoporosis, which is very common for the women in our family. She was in her early forties. She did not take the medication and broke a bone, just by walking down a few stairs. She unexpectedly died from a bone infection that went straight to the heart.

She never got to see her children raised and what fine young men and good citizens they have become. Her and I had plans of growing old together...it was hard coming home and her not being here. I already had MS before she had Osteoporosis. The wrong sibling died that day and a part of me died with her.
            Katie
            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
            "My MS is a Journey for One."
            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by its2much View Post
              dexascan earlier this week. I was diagnosed with osteopenia a few years ago. I take Evista. I also have hypothyroidism; it's my understanding that bone loss is common with that. Steroids cause it as well.

I was prescribed Evista but I made the mistake of reading up on it. Scared myself out of taking it. How is it working for you? Any side effects?
              Marti

Comment

I'm literally right at the dividing line between osteopenia and osteoporosis. I was offered an osteoporosis medicine and I turned it down because of the seriousness of the potential side effects. I don't take a cholesterol medicine or a bladder medicine for the same reason.

I didn't turn them down just because I'm afraid. I'm not afraid of much of anything. I've taken some medicines that had much worse potential side effects. I did my homework and made an educated decision based on my own health history. My doctor didn't even give me much grief about it. Someone with a different health history might make a different decision.

Comment

I started out about 10 years ago with osteopenia. About 4 years ago it was changed to osteoporosis I take Fosomax with no side effects. For about 6 years I took Actinol ? Splg before. I also now work with a trainer last 4 years. Good luck. They say many meds can lead to osteoporosis besides being post menopausal in woman

Comment

Marti - I have osteopenia. My mom had osteoporosis and was taking Fosomax for quite some time with no s/e - her last scan results showed she is now in he osteopenia range! She is 91
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

My paternal grandmother broke

both her hips - both on New Years Day, one year apart, walking to church! She was never the same after the second fracture.

Comment

hi

Physiatrists, physical therapists, and MS nurses can play an important role in the education process. Nurses are more likely to be aware of falls, because they spend a great deal of time with patients and assume the most responsibility for patient education and situational risk assessment. Physical therapists and phsyiatrists are in the best position to assess physical capacity, to recommend or prescribe appropriate balance-aid equipment, and to help with the
                        educational process.Apart from that, i would say, please make sure you consult a wise neuro before taking the meds.
                        Andrea.G.Wolford

Comment

Serious Side Effects

What are the serious side effects of these medications?

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
                            I'm trying to decide if I should start taking the Osteo meds. Everything I read about them is scary. But I probably should get started on them. Just looking for some people with experience with this one. Thanks
                            Hi Marti,

I was dx'd with osteoporosis a few years before MS dx. Was told I have the bones of an 80 yo!.... Was about 56 at the time. Wonderful!

Started taking 1200 units of Calcium daily and continued my exercise routine (6 years in at the time), which included weights.

Background: Never had a broken bone, male, now 63 and after dx of MS, osteoporosis was just a small bump in the road.

If drugs were in my future I'd avoid them as long as possible. Gym and some Calcium seem to serve well right now....

Good luck.

Jer

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                              Hi Marti,

I was dx'd with osteoporosis a few years before MS dx. Was told I have the bones of an 80 yo!.... Was about 56 at the time. Wonderful!

Started taking 1200 units of Calcium daily and continued my exercise routine (6 years in at the time), which included weights.

Background: Never had a broken bone, male, now 63 and after dx of MS, osteoporosis was just a small bump in the road.

If drugs were in my future I'd avoid them as long as possible. Gym and some Calcium seem to serve well right now....

Good luck.

Jer

Thank you so much. This is pretty much what I plan to do for now. What I want to know is how in the world do you workout with all the pain? Or maybe you don't have pain. I have several other ailments such as osteoarthritis, tendinitis, and spondylosis so I am in a lot of pain.
                              Marti

Comment

Working...
                              X