Fear vs reality vs denial vs the day has dawned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fear vs reality vs denial vs the day has dawned

This has plagued me for a long, long time. I did my absolute level best to live in denial for as many years as possible, even when the legs went wobbly, because I figured, pretend you're fine, and you'll be fine.

I hate the idea of frightening people, especially those who have been newly diagnosed, and are already scared enough, who come here looking for hope.

But reality bites.

I told my new two year in friend she's probably have 16 good years before things went pear -shaped.

"Oh," she said, quite rightly, "time passes so quickly." Quite depressed after talking to her. Me being plucky, she looking at my general lurchiness.

Anyhoo, there's no good wishin' and a-hopyin' and a-prayin'. It is what it is. I do wonder what I did to deserve this, and the answer is, of course, nothing. You can't help bad luck.

Most of us do the pretend we are fine and go about our business until we absolutely cannot do it anymore. This is normal, at least for those of us with the disease. Acceptance comes at different times for all of us. Some right away, some it takes several years. When you do accept it, you will feel more comfortable with yourself. No more trying to hide symptoms from friends and family.

Reality does bite!!!

I don't think you scared your two year in friend. Heck, you looked into your crystal ball and gave her a good 16 years before things went to pot! She should be thrilled! Long time no troubles!

No need to worry about your MS, it is going to do what it is going to do. Save your worries for something you can do something about. You will come to terms with your MS soon enough, and then you will learn to just let it go. Your life will be much more peaceful.

Take care
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
      I do wonder what I did to deserve this, and the answer is, of course, nothing.
      Your Job!
      And being Job kind of sucks if you read the story.

I always thought it was funny that Job and job are spelled the same. (seems fitting?)

I am about 20 years in also and starting to feel the damage escalate. No matter what I do with fitness and diet I just keep loosing ground.
      This past summer sucked and I have yet to recover.
      Just when I start to think, "I can live with this." "This" gets worse and it is a whole new game.
      "This" sucks bad!
      I feel like I aged 10 years in one summer.

Comment

Yup no amount of wishing, hoping, praying or positive attitude can out run this monster.

I hate MS.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Agree. Reality bites. But accepting that I can't change the course of things was the best thing for me. I live in a facility and love my life. Surrounding myself with wonderful people has been the best thing.
          Laurakim

Comment

This disease sucks. I'm PPMS so damage is already done. Things started around 2009 and I've gotten worse since then, so pretty fast progression.

Anyway, since official diagnosis a year ago I've been learning to accept my new normal and that it will steadily get worse. It's not an easy thing to accept but it has really helped me to read these books that I've mentioned before (I have no connection to the authors or publishers):

- Thoughts and Feelings
            - Mind Over Mood
            - Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions

The last is a book and free course. See this link: http://msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=129716

Talking to a social worker whose patients are all neuro patients (MS, stroke, ABI) has really turned things around too. I am still working on things but the attitude shift has really helped me.

Comment

Working...
            X