MRI results, confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRI results, confused

I had repeat MRIs of my brain and c-spine last week and just picked up the reports today. The c-spine says there are stable changes consistent with the history of MS. That's not very specific. I know my MRI last year sounded like there were lesions everywhere. I don't know if that means there may be slightly more or if they can't really tell. There was no enhancement though.

The brain MRI really threw me for a loop. I only had 2 lesions last year and they were both enhancing. Now I have no new enhancing lesions and the ones from last year appear to be smaller. That's great news, but how can it appear to be improved when this year has been really rough and I've only developed more symptoms? My double vision started over the summer and is still there. I've had trouble remembering a lot of things, and I'm 95% positive that all started this year. So apparently there's nothing there to explain it.

This whole time I thought the Avonex wasn't working. Does that mean I was wrong? Or is it normal to show no new activity yet symptoms progress? I'll be seeing my dr December 26, so I'm sure I'll get some explanations then, but this really doesn't make sense to me.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Lesions do not necessarily correspond to symptoms or progression and vice versa. You may have new symptoms without new lesions or new lesions without new symptoms. You can have both new lesions and new symptoms with no correllation between each other. Overall, it sounds like your MRIs have improved with an overall decrease in lesion activity which is wonderful news.

We really aren't sure whether Avonex is working or not, but if your MRIs remain stable many neurologists may suggest you remain on it. This really is a personal choice between you and your neurologists. If you are doing ok with your weekly shots I'd probably want to stay on them even if offered a change. There are medications that are statistically more effective than Avonex, but that does not mean they will be better for YOU.

Between now and your appointment write down your questions so you won't forget them. Until then, try to forget about it and have the best Christmas possible ...

Comment

As Marco said, I would review with your neuro. I have had stable MRIs since 2006. But since I had relapses, switched from Avonex to Rebif since it was similar, just stronger dosage than Avonex. I stayed relatively stable for 4 years, then started relapses and symptom progression. So I am now onTysabri.

It is really important to have that discussion with your doctor. Make sure he is aware of all your symptoms. Good luck.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
      X