• Show
Clear All

nusinsig hoome

are any you in one?
    SUSIE99

No. How's about you?

Comment

Hi Susie,

Once in awhile, msastros visits these boards. She is in a nursing home. Are you in a nursing home now or is that something that may be in your future? I'm sorry to hear if that is somewhere you need to be.

I needed to spend some time in a nursing home, so have some idea about what it's like to be a patient in one. Please let us know if we can offer any advice, there are people here who have dealt with loved ones in nursing homes even if they aren't in one.

Take care,
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I was for a few months with post op complications:

I HATED IT! fed

Comment

Nursing Home

Dear Susie.
          I was in a nursing home for two weeks after surgery. But I think it was the exacerbation of my MS after the stress of surgery that put me there, not the post-operative care itself.

Certainly, it was hard to feel confined (and to eat that food!), but I did get five hours a day of good physical and occupational therapy. These were helpful.

I don't know how I would accept long-term residence in a nursing home. Half way through my stay, my husband had to take me out (drains in a fanny pack and the walker along with me) to a nice restaurant for fillet mignon and shrimp cocktail. It gave me hope that the outside world still existed.

I had a private room. If I ever have to be in an institutional rehab again, I would insist on a single again. And a TV with lots of cable stations and a good internet connection. I watched the Australian Open tennis live all night long, and my husband hacked the phone to give me access to MSWorld.

Susie, I hope things work out for you, whatever changes you have to face. Be choosey about which nursing facility you go to. There is a great variation in quality and comfort.

Stay lifted,
          Susan
          "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."
-Henri Amiel

Comment

Just to visit friends.
            But I must say some parts of it are attractive. My friend Bill (96) just moved into one this year.
            He keeps talking about, "when I get out of here I'm going to..."
            It seem pointless to tell him when he leaves it will be feet first.

Still I don't really understand his desire to leave.
            It is a nice place! He has a nice room with a view, his own bathroom, the food is good, the culture of the workers is fantastic and caring, they have activities everyday, no cooking, cleaning, a crew of cute young nurses that care for him... I'm ready to move in myself!

Comment

Originally posted by Susie99 View Post
              are any you in one?
              I'm scared to death that I'll be in one sooner rather than later. I know we shouldn't fear the future, but I can't help it.
              Seattle, WA
              Dx 05/14/10, age 55, RRMS, Now PPMS
              Avonex 5/10-9/11; Copaxone 20, 9/11-4/13; Tecfidera 4/13-7/15; Copaxone 40, 9/15 -present

Comment

there are many times I'd like to push a button, to have someone come

I get from my bed to my wheelchair, but that's it. I visit my friend at a local nursing home and would like to have that button to push, to say I'm ready for breakfast now.

Comment

Working...
                X