Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desperately Need Help.

I need help, advice anything.

I am her sister-in-law, have been for 15+ years. She was diagnosed 16 years ago RRMS. No idea how much background info is needed - so just ask if needed.

Her episodes have been cognitive for a very long time. Although for the most part I knew that better than anyone else. She is an intelligent and artistic person and has been able to fool most people (including her parents) for a very long time.

Three years ago she went through a very ugly divorce. Subsequently a major episode, lost her job, etc. She just kept going down hill. Then came the constant drinking and some drugs too. So with this mix she became extremely bitter and incredibly cruel to her youngest child who now lives with ex.

Her decisions are becoming more and more self destructive. She's barely in her 40s, beautiful and a perfect target for the idiots she meets on the web. I love her and I am in fear for her - and quite honestly angry at her too.

How do I and should I take action to protect her? This is a truly heart breaking situation. She won't take any medicine , wont listen to her doctors. She will go in to the doctor only as demanded by disability insurance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

hersisterinlaw: It is hard to do anything with an adult unless you have their consent. If her cognitive issues are that bad, you could talk with her doctor about having her subjected to social services for help. They will have someone come into the home everyday and do the things that are determined that she cannot safety do on her own. They may just appoint an attorney to oversee her expenses. They could probably also force her into treatment. Something you cannot do. That would be something your would have to discuss with her doctor if you have permission to speak with him/her.

If not, you may just have to write a letter to the physician telling them your worries. She may have never had a neuropsychiatric examination.

Good luck and I sure hope she gets better. You are a good sister in law to try and help.

Take care and let us know how it goes

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

I agree you are a very nice sister in law!

Unless her behavior really becomes a danger to herself or others there isn't much you can do except attempt to be there for her should she want help at some point.

If she is really out of control you could call 911 and have her emergency petitioned to a local hospital for a psych evaluation but unless she is placing self or others at imminent danger she won't be held against her will.

Maybe give her this website address?
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Thank you!

For being so understanding. I was worried I would be railed for asking.

Those were both good suggestions. I don't think I can talk to her doctor, but I will try to write a letter. I think if I can get the rest of the family on board my chances are better. So far they just want to ignore, its so much easier that way.

I just keep praying for a cure.

Comment

Working...
        X