Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions for trigeminal neuralgia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any suggestions for trigeminal neuralgia?

This is the 2nd time I have experienced an attack of trigeminal neuralgia anyone else out there? Wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I am now on prednisone for it. I have used prednisone in the past and a nerve block. both helped but only about 10 weeks. i didnt like the side effects of the nerve block so I dont think that I would do that again. Any suggestions would be a great help.

thanks Puglover

I'm so sorry. SO painful.

Weird question ... are you taking a statin? Reason I'm asking -- while I was in my 6 week flare of TN, I read that statins can cause neuropathy. I figured, why not (TN makes you desperate!) and stopped the statin. The pain in the attacks went from 10 to 3-4 and eventually disappeared. It was very likely resolving on it's own, I'm sure. But I occasionally still wonder ...

Other than that, the only help I found; after the shocky attack, I was able to minimize the lingering pain afterwards using visualization. It sounds weird ... but seemed to help calm me AND the nerves which also reduced the pain.

Sorry you're going through this.

Comment

Oh man. TN gives me nightmares - I am so afraid mine will return!!!! I'm sorry you're dealing with this. The only thing that helped me was a high dose of prednisone and gabapentin.

Comment

I have it bilaterally. I have tried just about everything because I have had it for a little over 10 years. The IVSM helps, but only lasts 4-6 weeks. I do the nerve blocks now with steroids in them, I get them every month. They help, but I still take a boat load of medication. I take Tegretol, Neurontin, and the one that helps the most lately is Topamax. I take 200mg twice a day. Sure the Baclofen helps too. but good grief!!! I still can't brush my teeth or go outside in the cold without almost screaming!

Perhaps try the blocks closer together. They wear off pretty quickly...they are just steroids. Like the rest of them, about 4 weeks and thats it.

I am sorry you are hurting. It is an awful pain. I had 4 root canals looking for where that pain was coming from in the beginning...all in a row. Finally someone said "You should see a neurologist". Now when a new dentist sees an X-Ray of me they say "Wow, were you in an accident?"...I say "Yeah, well kinda".

Good luck. When you find something that works let us know!

Lisa
        Moderation Team
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

Working...
        X