Does this sound like I could have MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this sound like I could have MS?

I am a 51 year old male. Birthday is today by the way. I noticed a couple of years ago that I had footdrop and went to a neurologist that couldn't find anything wrong with my nerve path and said to come back if it didn't get better in a few months. It didn't but I've learned to live with it. I am not the kind of person to go to the doctor a lot and I put up with a lot. I sometimes have migraines with visual auras. I had them a few times as a teenager and didn't have them again until a couple of years ago then they stopped and only had 1 in the last year.

Sometimes the vision in my right eye is blurry or double. I wear contacts and always just thought it was eye fatigue from the contacts but beginning to wonder. I sometimes feel dizzy. I feel depressed sometimes. I am forgetful at times.

I've had the electrical shock pain down my spine maybe a handful of times in my life. Sometimes I'll have a sharp pain at random parts of my body for no reason.

Like I said, I rarely go to a doctor and I'm kind of afraid to know if this is MS. I did ask the neurologist when having the dropfoot test and he said it would be an unusual first manifestation of MS.

So I thought I would ask people that know. What do you think?

So I thought I would ask people that know. What do you think?

I do not know what a "normal" first symptom of ms is. Did you see an eye doc about your eyes? I would start there and perhaps get a referral to another neuro.

Comment

No need to be afraid. It is what it is. Perhaps it is peripheral neuropathy. Perhaps it is not. Have you had any testing at all?
      I agree with TSspalding's answer...go find another neuro. However, if you like the neuro you had, go back and tell him you still have foot drop plus all of these other symptoms. My guess is that he will do more testing.

Does it sound like MS? Hard to say. MS has 400 mimickers and they all sound alike, so it could be 1 in 400 diseases or it could be nothing. You have to have testing to find out. So go back to the neurologist and get the ball rolling if you really are having symptoms, and they are bothering you.

Let us know how it goes, OK?

Take care
      Lisa
      Moderation Team
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

I agree with all the above posters but wanted to add that foot drop was one of the first things that happened to me almost twenty years before I was diagnosed. It took me years to find a good neurologist who connected all the dots.

Good luck to you. I hope you get your answers.

Comment

First of all, I am truly sorry you are struggling with changes in you life. Glad you stopped to check in.

Yes, you need to be further evaluated, so don't allow yourself to freak out or avoid as knowledge=power!

Your vision is nothing to fool around with. Yes, some symptoms come and go, other signs have lingering effects. Hopefully you'll get answers and treatment after thorough evaluations.

I am a firm believer we must be an advocate of our own health. See more than one doc if you need to, get second opinions and make informed decisions about YOUR health.

And lastly, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!! It just may be the start of a truly new life!!

Warmly, Jan
          I believe in miracles~!
          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
          X