Paxil (paroxetine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paxil (paroxetine)

This question is not MS-related. But, we are often good at sharing experiences and information with each other. So, I decided to seek knowledge from our wise message board members.

My 22 y.o. son (who does not have MS) recently started on Paxil. He has probably experienced chronic low-grade depression ever since he was in middle school. He is introverted and identifies experiencing some social anxiety. He also has a history of being an under-achiever (very bright kid that simply does not apply himself) and has some computer addiction issues.

Anyways, after dropping out of college for the second time in his young-adult life (following lots of part-time college and being pretty motivated, this fall, to start FT), he was fairly receptive to my suggestion to consider anti-depressants.

He started paroxetine on Monday.

He is not open to therapy (counseling) even though I have also encouraged that.

I've done just a little bit of reading about anti-depressants. I'd been under the impression that they can often change brain chemistry when there is a chemical depression going on; and, that sometimes, anti-depressants might be a fairly effective way to treat that. But, I've read some things about anti-depressants not being any more effective than a placebo. Given all the possible side effects, and the need to withdraw slowly and taper off when discontinuing the med, I'm having second thoughts about my encouragement to go on A/D's.

I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences with A/D's, especially paxil (paroxetine).

~ Faith
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

My SO has major depressive disorder and is on Paxil. Definitely helps and there is definitely a chemical component at work.

I know your son isn't open to therapy, but will consider going to a psychiatrist for a real diagnosis?

Comment

My hubby (does not has MS) has been taking Paxil - oh - probably close to 10 yrs now. It has (and continues) to help him. He has always had some level of anxiety and it just got worse and worse as he got older. We have known each other since teen-agers.

He has been off it during this time and he definitely notices a difference in how he feels, and I see a difference in how he acts/reacts to things.

For him, it has been a positive thing.
      Karen

Comment

paroxetine

I have being taking paxil for 11 years now 40 mgs started with 60 mgs have had days with some depression as days with no depression also im going to counseling

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of paxil as a first line med mostly because it can result in nasty withdrawal if they miss doses or want to stop taking it without a taper.

That aside in general I'm a huge fan of SSRIs for depression and anxiety. Prozac in particular has a long 1/2 life which means it takes a while longer to work than some but is unlikely to cause withdrawal if someone stops abruptly. It has been around for a long time, there have been numerous studies and it is FDA approved for some indications in children.

FWIW for most conditions the research supports both medication and therapy together for optimal results but I would certainly encourage someone to try either medication or therapy by its self first if they have a strong preference.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Working...
          X