Weak Arm/Hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weak Arm/Hand

It's been a little over a year since I've been diagnosed, and barely have use of my right arm/hand now. One finger on my right hand is bended, as I no longer have the muscle strength in my hand to keep it straight. I can no longer write, can hardly type, washing my hair is hard, brushing my teeth, etc. I've learned to rely on my left hand for many things. Does anyone else experience the same thing?

Both hand and arms are weak. I just started physical therapy. Part of my issue is numbness, but the last 6 months weakness is progressing.
    My right hand tends to curl and is difficult to straighten.

The PT is focused on endurance and stretching. After we have some success with this, they will work on strength.

Have you tried PT and/or OT?

I do feel for you( no pun intended ). It is no fun trying to use opposite hand as dominant one.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

In May, overnight, my hand went weak and numb with the forearm- thankfully it got better over the summer. So, hold on to hope that it can improve.
      I wonder if doing some yoga with putting your palms flat on the mat might help stretch out the fingers.

Comment

Yep, same here. Weakness and spasticity in my right arm and hand (I'm right handed too).

The best thing you can do is go see an OT who can show you good stretching exercises and help with suitable exercises.

Comment

So sorry you're going through that. I'm undiagnosed but have weakness...need to take brakes when folding laundry, brushing daughters hair...pretty much anything that elevates my hand above my shoulder.

I've tried physio...but to be honest acupuncture helped me more.

Not sure if that would help but maybe give it a try.

I hate needles but was sold on it when my arms would fall asleep at night and be weak for 7 days, and it was the only thing that made it "come back to life"

All the best,
          Minnie76

Comment

I have a weak left arm and hand...both dominant. So sometimes I type some crazy things and have to go back and edit them. My spasticity is outrageous! My fingers permanently form a semi-fist, so my PT works very hard bi-weekly to stretch them out. I do stretches too and sleep with hand guards...so attractive, to try and stretch them out as well. I agree, you have to learn to things with the other hand, that is where an OT comes in. If you have a lot of tremor in that hand, the OT will also show you how to get weighted silverware, plates, and glasses to mitigate the shaking.

Hope things get better for you guys. It can improve for some!

Take care
            Lisa
            Moderation Team
            Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
            SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
            Tysabri

Comment

Working...
            X