I need help....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help....

I feel like I don't have any control over my life....I mean having MS is one thing but when you live at home because of my MS and I feel like my parents are now control my life and that really upsets me any suggestion would be greatly appr. thank you

You could cook a couple of nights per week and ask a friend over to eat with your parents. You can come and go as you please, you are an adult. You should also share in the house responsibilities like cleaning, and shopping, washing clothes. You should ask your mom which chores she would like for you to pick up for her when you are feeling well. These will make you feel more like a room mate than a child living at home. Do what you can. If you are already doing this then don't feel like you are trapped. You are simply sharing a household. If your mother or father cross the line and don't want you to do something, then it is up to you to say "I am an adult". You can also pay them a small amount from your disability if that is what you get. It is symbolic rather than numeric. No matter, it gives you more freedom.

I hope you work it out for your sake. No need to have that baggage over your head. MS is plenty enough!

Take care
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

I've been in assisted living, in the past. It is "Their" home and their rules.

If given a choice, I think your parents would be more flexible.

It may be possible you are struggling more with your losing control of your body and trying to control your environment?

It is doubtful they are trying to do anything to harm you and are doing what they think is 'good' for you.

How about an example of a few of the issues with your parents, you are having a problem with?
      fed

Comment

Oh, I understand. Everywhere I stagger, people ask, "Are you living with your parents yet?", and I want to scream.
        And they're nice parents, and they're worried to death, but dear Lord, not yet.

It's MS. I want so badly to be all right, and I am clinging to independence, but I fear 'tis but a dream.

I suppose we all get used to everything in the end.

Comment

Maybe they know how you feel and don't know how to help ; or maybe they don't know how you feel??

Have you sat down as an adult and had a conversation with them about your lives

It is hard as an adult to live with parents. I never did it successfully. But surely they love you.

That counts for a lot.
          Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Working...
          X