NASCAR driver has MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NASCAR driver has MS

NASCAR driver Trevor Bayne said Tuesday that he has multiple sclerosis and he does not expect it to impact his racing career.

Bayne, who in 2011 became the youngest winner in Daytona 500 history, will still compete as scheduled at Homestead-Miami Speedway this weekend in the Nationwide and Sprint Cup Series finales. Bayne's younger sister, Sarah, also has multiple sclerosis.

I'm a NASCAR fan and found out about this from a breaking news alert from my NASCAR app. I'm familar with Trevor, but haven't followed him that closely. I don't know why, but I had to stop and cry for a few minutes.

I have tickets to next year's Daytona 500. I can't wait to be there to cheer him on.
    Optic Neuritis in 2004, Dx with RRMS in 2012. Copaxone, Sept. 2012 - September 2013. Gilenya, February 2014 -

Comment

There is an NHL goalie for the Minnesota Wild who has MS. He is having a great year! Just saw him play as they were playing in our arena (Carolina Hurricanes). We lost in a shoot out to him. I was secretly pulling for him. I am amazed because do you know how much leg strength and mobility it takes to be a goalie in the NHL? I don't know how they manage his spasticity but he plays great.

Cool to see these professional athletes keep playing despite their MS. Gives me hope and more drive to exercise and do what I can.

Thanks for starting this tread!

Lisa
      Moderation Team
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Trevor Bayne has a very strong Christian faith and is quite an optimistic young man.

He is not unfamiliar with MS, his sister also has the Disease.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/stor...iagnosis-11121
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

bayne is my new driver to cheer for!
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I'm always curious to hear about what meds these celebs are on....does that intrigue anyone else? Like Jack Osborne, this NASCAR driver, etc... No articles ever mention meds.

Comment

Jack Osbourne is on Copaxone I think. At least when he was on the Dr. Oz show he mentioned giving himself a daily shot.

Comment

Originally posted by jlk9498 View Post
                I'm always curious to hear about what meds these celebs are on....does that intrigue anyone else? Like Jack Osborne, this NASCAR driver, etc... No articles ever mention meds.
                I don't believe there are any "super-secret" medications reserved for the rich and famous. I've worked where billionaires were treated and they used the identical medications that medicare patients did. I believe medications are never mentioned because the general population doesn't care and it may be seen as a product endorsement.

Being rich may get a patient aggressive testing, an indoor therapy pool, have a personal chef, have full access to alternative therapies (i.e. acupuncture, massage, etc) without concern for costs. You may even be able to arrange for a neurologist to make a home visit or have a MRI after closing hours. Remember the HUGE deal some media outlets made of Ann Romney using equine therapy.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                  I don't believe there are any "super-secret" medications reserved for the rich and famous. I've worked where billionaires were treated and they used the identical medications that medicare patients did. I believe medications are never mentioned because the general population doesn't care and it may be seen as a product endorsement.
                  Or as a weakness.

I'm sad to hear of someone else being diagnosed. Two children from the same family is especially sad - I know my own parents struggle with my diagnosis, but I can only imagine what they are going through having this happen twice.

I hope his right, that it will not affect his career.

Comment

I heard on ABC's World New this morning that Trevor isn't on any DMDs at this point in time.

Comment

Trevor? Oh no that's terrible, I didn't know about that

Comment

Oh, I didn't mean they, the celebs, were on super secret meds......just curious what they are one. New ones, old ones, injections, pills, etc.

Comment

Oh, I didn't mean they, the celebs, were on super secret meds......just curious what they are one. New ones, old ones, injections, pills, etc.
                          I barely thought about the decision of taking a DMD. I was practically begging my doctor to put me on one ASAP. I knew they were not going to be a magic bullet, but I was in pure panic mode and if not a DMD than what can be done about MS? I still take a DMD, but would I be doing the same, better or worse without one? Who knows!

I am sorry for anyone diagnosed with MS, but especially someone so young. I also feel for MS parents, every MS parent.
                          Tawanda

Comment

Just in case anyone is interested:

Clay Walker-Takes Copaxone and is a celebrity ambassador for Copaxone.

Montel Williams-Initially held the opinion that he should not disclose his DMD, then thought better of it. He did finally reveal he was on Copaxone. He was also filmed giving himself a shot at his home on the Dr. Oz show. He also volunteered to go under CCSVI, which did not help in the long run.

Ann Romney-Has admitted to Copaxone and Equine Therapy. In one interview, she was quoted as looking at BG-12, upon FDA approval. Have not heard anything since...but I am assuming she is on Tecfidera.

Jack Osbourne- Currently on Copaxone. He also went to Germany for a stem cell transplant.

Terri Garr-Was a paid spokesperson for MS Lifelines. She has and is still possibly taking Rebif.
                            Katie
                            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                            "My MS is a Journey for One."
                            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks Katie. interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X