Got cognitive problems? New study is v. hopeful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got cognitive problems? New study is v. hopeful

I read this study http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...uhTcw.facebook the other day.

Aerobic exercise, 3 times a week, results in a 53.7% benefit in memory.

WOW!

If this was a drug it would be marketed to the hilt. This is very motivating to keep going with my exercise.

thank you Guzzy, this is very interesting. when i am doing my yoga i noticed a difference, but i could not put my finger on it. (besides being more limber)
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Interesting that in the study those doing non-aerobic stretching did not show a benefit in the hippocampus functioning.....(I'm paraphrasing here).

Then on the same page there is a study of brain volume and Tai Chai showing that this is the first study showing a benefit from a non-aerobic exercise 3 X per week.

A little confusing, but one thing is clear, if I didn't exercise in some way I would be stupider

Comment

Mmmm. Logic says if you can't do aerobic exercise, then things may have slipped overall.
        Whether A leads to B, or A is a sign of B, dunno. I'm thinking the maybe the latter.

Comment

This is a great study because they measured hip...hippo...hippocampal volume and saw an increase. There are numerous studies which show aerobic exercise is good for everything.

Job - there are assisted machines, which help spin your legs as you move your hands on a sit-down version of an elliptical. The trick is whether you can find some way to get aerobic exercise. My MS clinic has a specialized exercise room.

Comment

I have said this elsewhere, but you CAN get aerobic exercise using your arms. Flail them, do air punches, flap them, etc. and get your heart rate up.

You might look silly, but it is still an aerobic exercise.

Comment

Working...
            X