Disability Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disability Question

Suppose you're doing ok, and suddenly - or fairly quickly - get to the point where you just can't work, and you haven't applied for SSDI... How is one to survive??
    No sir, I don't like it.
    Diagnosed August 30, 2013.

Check with your employer to see if you have a Short Term Disability or Long Term Disability Benefit. They will pay a portion of your salary while you cannot work. I would suggest calling the HR dept and see what your options are.

Good Luck and hope you are feeling better soon.

Comment

Thanks Kithop. I'm fortunately feeling ok right now, but I'm just trying to learn about what potential situations I'm gonna find myself in.

My job does have STD - I've been working p/t for 6 weeks and it's run it's course. My HR director mentioned LTD. Who pays that? I thought I saw that my insurance offer LTD - is that it? ANd is LTD No Working at all? I have been on 4 hours a day while collecting STD. Paid for 8 hours, even though I only worked 4.

I'm afraid to ask for details about LTD at work because I don't want them to think I won't be there. I'm going back on full time next week, and I'm a little nervous about it.
      No sir, I don't like it.
      Diagnosed August 30, 2013.

Comment

Ostrich

I had my head stuck in the sand! After missing a lot of work, one of my coworkers then ask me to consider disability. I was kidding myself when I said I'm not disabled.

I'm disabled, divorced and living in a nursing home at 48.

Ask questions. Find out all your options.

Best of luck?

Comment

I keep livin' the dream. I have the disability pension form filled out by doctor and neuro in the glovebox of my car.
          No trouble getting a DSP in Australia.

I know that once I gracefully retire from my job (before I'm pushed), that's it. Never have another job.
          Forty-three. Good Lord. That it should come to this.

Comment

Originally posted by JBWInColorado View Post
            Suppose you're doing ok, and suddenly - or fairly quickly - get to the point where you just can't work, and you haven't applied for SSDI... How is one to survive??
            Where I worked for 10 yrs they did offer LTD but that meant I could not work. Every job is different so u would need to check w/ HR.

I applied for SSDI at 35 and that took me 3 denials and about 3 yrs for a judge to ok me.

I would suggest you start the application process for SSDI early since it may take years or months, never know.

Good luck and hope your symptoms go away

Comment

Originally posted by JBWInColorado View Post
              It's helpful to have some savings built up if possible, or a spouse/partner who remains employed so there is some income to pay the bills. But that's not something you can set up right away, if it is not already your situation.

Meanwhile, the other posters are correct - use your STD and then LTD, if you have them available. It sounds like you are using STD now. Each employer's LTD is different, and some might be "can do no work at all" while others might allow part-time work.

There is no requirement in the US for employers to offer paid sick time, or STD or LTD, and many don't offer these benefits. And as pointed out here and in many other threads, it can take a long time to get Social Security, if you qualify.

I think your concerns about discussing this at work are justified, because some employers will discriminate if they think you have an illness that may cause you to be out sick a lot. Maybe you can read through some of that paperwork they gave you at the start of your job? Lots of small print in that employee handbook, or insurance policy papers, but now is a good time to look at it carefully to see if you can figure out what is covered, and how your employer might react to your illness.

Otherwise, discussions with HR are supposed to be confidential, and theoretically health issues you discuss with HR cannot be held against at work. This is also federal and state law - Americans with Disabilities Act.

I hope you recover quickly and fully, and don't have on going disability at all!

Comment

Working...
              X