Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needy neighbors??

Hello
    I have lived in my apt community for many years and have gotten to know a lady across the st casually. I dont see her often just passing in driveway or a rare yard sit down visit.
    I helped her w/ her pc once years ago.

She always was nice and I know she does a lot for people.
    But she is getting very needy and clingy to anyone around her and I feel bad for her, but I cant deal with it.

She has tons of friends they are there a lot, she is either on the phone or has company all the time.

Retiree late sixties but was a very young sixties lady with two tone funky hair, fancy jewelry, fancy dressy clothes and tattoos (pot leaf). She appears to have it all together. I tell you this about her so you see I never thought she'd be this type. Id think she'd be casual cool.

She freely tells you she was an alcoholic and is now a pill popper and is dependent on it.

She runs after the mail man to talk.

Okay.....she now has zoned in on me telling neighbors I never visit her, Im avoiding her etc..

Ive told her many times of my MS and heat is a killer and I have very little energy, what I have goes to my hubby and my chores.

Its not enough...she is mad at me and nasty that I dont come talk and visit etc...She even got ticked when I told her I couldnt take care of her dog when she was away, that requires many visits back and forth in heat to let it out when I cant know how I will be feeling.

Its weird as heck because I hardly ever visited anyway, nothing has changed for me.

She is stressing me out and lives in my window shot right across the st and sees me every time I go out.

Im at odds how to get around this. I wanted to be kind but its just draining me. I cant even poke my nose outside without running into her.

Ugh. I may have to be rude and tell her I cant handle friendships Im just too exhausted physically, but Ive really told her this in the past.

Anyone else have this issue? She thinks I need more action in life and friends and am depressed. Im not, Im fine just want her out of my hair!!

needy neighbor

I suggest you set bounderies for her and yourself...decide how much time you can give her (an hour once or twice a week?) and stick with that...tell her you've felt bad you haven't been able to spend any time with her and set your limits..

Other than that I say 'forget about it!' Doesn't matter what other's think...remember they have to 'deal' with her neediness also..

If you have a particular day you're giving her time and you aren't feeling up to it...call her and tell her you'll visit by phone today because ______. Set your boundaries and don't worry about how others think.

Take care
    Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Well we have enough to deal with and if you have a dh and kids you are busy enough. Set those boundries.

I have a "friend" that is like that. I finally quit answering my phone, e-mails or text. I figured she'd get the message eventually. I told her I love her but I needed me time to figure all this out on my own with my family. Nothing against her but either she gets or she doesn't.

Be nice and if that doesn't work put your put down. Definately do not worry about others say they are not in your shoes. Seems she like attention. Don't hide in your home if she's out side do your own thing and tell her you don't have the energy or time to deal with her. I would be rude if I had to but that's me.

Good luck!!
      DIAGNOSED=2012
      ISSUES LONG BEFORE
      REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

She is an active addict so it will be impossible to figure out her motivations. I would distance myself completely and not feel bad about it.

If and when she is able to find sobriety again she will likely be a different person and at that point you can consider if it would be pleasant to interact with her again.

I personally feel that the amount of prescription drug addiction in our society today is criminal and wish more providers had better insight into its insidiousness.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Thank you both for insightful and on target replies

Youre both right I just have to stand my ground and take care of my health, I cant really do anything else if I did push myself too far that would be dumb.

Heck I dont even see my ext' family as much as this woman wants attention!

Well as far as being rude, I prob' should, because this woman is very giving but with a blunt mouth and biting edge if she cant take what she dishes then oh well.

Also Camsue youre right LOL Id not thought of it but I do see the other neigbors reactions to her too. Im not alone in this feeling Im sure.

To be frank I suppose Im not really willing anymore to give any time to her, she is too mouthy and i walk away feeling bad about myself, which is not good for stress and ms.

I will bite the bullet and back off and tell her if I must. She has so much company I really doubt she will miss me, just will be hard when she is outside when I am.

Thank you

Comment

I wish I could lend you "the look". I seem to produce a look on my face, when needed, that shuts annoying people down real quick. It worked great for drunks on the airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Windwalker View Post
              I wish I could lend you "the look". I seem to produce a look on my face, when needed, that shuts annoying people down real quick. It worked great for drunks on the airplanes.
              lol. love it. I seem to have that look as well, but it works. I think it started when I became a mom. the kids know the look very well.
              DIAGNOSED=2012
              ISSUES LONG BEFORE
              REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

Originally posted by Windwalker View Post
                That would be fabulous, email it to me Im told I look mad all the time (how my face hangs when I dont constantly smile) But I guess its just not enough .

Comment

Working...
                X