Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Disability assistance on airlines

I plan to fly today.

Since MS, I experience more anxiety about things that did not used to stress me. Flying alone will be one of those.

I am considering requesting disability assistance. I don't "look" disabled. I could bring my cane (which I only use during a flare if I have mobility issues), but that seems somewhat dishonest.

Will I be questioned if I simply request disability assistance? I believe that my anxiety is related to my disability, and, for my, stress can trigger a flare.

~ Faith
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Faith -I would ask for assistance!
    You have 2 choices (scenarios):

Don't ask for assistance & don't bring your cane. Possible outcome from the stress = a flare w/out a cane while you are away.

Ask for assistance and bring along your cane (or not) - the outcome will bring you some sense of security and peace!

I have been traveling for years and always ask for wheelchair assistance. Never have I been judged or questioned.

Peaceful journey ahead!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Actually, Seasha -- I have more than 2 choices.

I could also request assistance without a cane. (And, there are other possible choices available to me too. )

I do plan to request assistance. And, I don't require a cane because, except for stamina issues if I have to walk long distances, I don't have mobility problems. And, a cane would not eliminate my stamina issues.

I'm mostly wondering if I can get by without being questioned if I simply ask for disability assistance when I don't "look disabled", if I don't have a cane.

Anxiety is one issue (being worried about finding my gate, getting there on time, not running out of energy, etc); a possible long walk in the Chicago airport is another.

~ Faith
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Definitely request wheelchair assistance and bring your cane whether you need one or not.

A few years ago, I struggled with my cane through the airport because of pride and almost fell several times and was near tears by the time I reached my gate. Last year I requested wheelchair assistance and it was SO much better. I wasn't exhausted or scared to fall from fatigue and TSA and everyone was SO nice to me.

Depending on the airport and country, the wheelchair assistance people make very little money and work so very hard. So please tip them well if they accept tips. For example, in the Philly airport, they made near minimum wage. I tipped the gentleman well and totally made his day. In the Toronto airport, it was done by well paid Air Canada staff who were not allowed to accept tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post

I'm mostly wondering if I can get by without being questioned if I simply ask for disability assistance when I don't "look disabled", if I don't have a cane.

Anxiety is one issue (being worried about finding my gate, getting there on time, not running out of energy, etc); a possible long walk in the Chicago airport is another.

~ Faith
          Faith - when you call the airlines, just say you have MS - period. You need to call ahead - like today! - to arrange ahead of time that wheelchair assistance is available for you at all airport destinations ( don't know if you have a direct flight or not)

If you get questioning looks by others, too bad That's their problem. Hold your head up high and just smile

And misslux is right on! I always give a tip.

Good luck!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I agree with those that recommend getting wheelchair assistance and bringing along mobility aids (cane, etc.) just in case.

I flew from Phoenix to Cleveland recently. Each leg had a plane change. I am totally disabled and require a lot of help. I had a lot of anxiety too. The airlines set the standard in dealing with the disabled. They are awesome and deal with 1000's like us everyday.

There are a lot of cheaters...those who request a wheelchair just to get priority boarding...but that's not you and you should feel no "guilt" about getting special treatment. I would advise anyone pondering this issue to ask for assistance. You will find the airlines are the "gold standard" in providing for those that need assistance and they do it so professionally and with a smile. I always tip as well.

Comment

Hi Faith-

I agree with all in saying ask for the assistance! And you don't have to tell them you have MS or anything, and they legally can't ask you about your disability.

I fly a dozen times a year or so and I ask for wheelchair assistance to and from the gate every single time. I long ago stopped feeling guilty or ashamed, it is what it is.

The airline I usually use has a button on their website when making an online reservation to click for "Service Request" with a little H/C symbol next to it. If anything, airport and airline personnel are only helpful to us.

Enjoy your trip and travel safe!
              Seattle, WA
              Dx 05/14/10, age 55, RRMS, Now PPMS
              Avonex 5/10-9/11; Copaxone 20, 9/11-4/13; Tecfidera 4/13-7/15; Copaxone 40, 9/15 -present

Comment

I walk just fine, but was worried about having time in a big airport to make a connecting flight. I called the airline and told them of my concern, and without hesitating they set up wheelchair assistance! Best thing ever. I will do it that way from now on.

Hint: Don't be forget to tip them. It is worth the extra $5 or $10.
                Brenda
                Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

Working...
                X