First 5K since DX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First 5K since DX

So I just wrapped my first 5K race since my DX last March. I hadn't really been training for it due to other commitments, so I was apprehensive. I'm not in great shape in general, but the race was for charity so I thought I should just take a stab at it. It was also 85 degrees when we started the race, another MS no no. But I started strong and even jogged a bit (intended to walk it). Halfway through, though, my leg was shot in the heat. I was limping visibly, and my foot kept dropping.

I limped, drug, pushed myself through that last 1.5 miles. It hurt. It was embarrassing. But I did it. And I even beat last year's time. It wasn't an enviable time, but I made it under an hour.

It was happy and sad. I am sad that my body can't keep up with my will in this area. I was happy that I managed to make it anyway. I hope that science manages to remyelinate these nerves soon.

Just know that one MSer won her race today. And I know that all of you will too.

Congrats, abeautifullife!!! You did it and that's all that matters. You sent out a powerful message here and thank you for sharing this!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Congrat's!

I couldn't have even done that pre MS.

sue

Comment

That is so awesome! and especially because it was for a charity.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Does not matter how you got there. Does not matter how long it took. Point is......you did it! Nothing embarrassing about that...what you did is inspirational. Congrats!
          Katie
          "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
          "My MS is a Journey for One."
          Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Huge congrats! You should be very proud of yourself, thanks for sharing your success. For the record, I couldn't have done this BEFORE MS!!
            Jen
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
            X