Is this TN or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this TN or something else?

New problem lately. I've been having pain under my chin and jawline.. usually on one side. I have a light case of TN and usually feel it on the right side of my face in the cheek and temple. Now I get this new pain. Does anyone else with TN feel it under the jaw.. kind of like where the glands are??
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Hi,

I have TN...I have felt it right on my jawline...but never below where the glands are...I don't think the 3rd branch(mandibular) goes that low...

I'd double check with docs!

Minnie76

Comment

For TN -- the pain should be sudden, 10/10, shocky and 30 seconds to a couple of minutes max. There will also be triggers that bring it on (I had spots under my jaw, on my face, and my temple -- i.e. in the shower).

Is the pain constant? Throbbing? As above? Pain in the trigeminal area that lasts three hours at a time could be cluster headaches instead.

Like Minnie, I don't think the lowest trigeminal nerve goes that far down, and also suggest asking your doctor.

Comment

Like the others said, definitely, the trigeminal nerve stops before the bottom of the jawline. It runs just below the teeth. Even the seventh cranial nerve (facial nerve), stops before the bottom of the jawline. You may be having muscle pain as no nerves run under the jaw and all the way up to the forehead (on one side.)

I have never had referred pain under my jaw with my TN. I guess it is possible. You may want to consult your neurologist about it and see what he/she thinks.

Good luck! TN sucks I hope you don't have it!

Lisa
        Moderation Team
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

There is a neuralgia that isn't very common in MS, but can present in MS. I don't have it, but since I have problems with my tongue, lower face/jaw and throat on one side, the docs, early on, mentioned the possibility of glossopharyngeal neuralgia.

Google it, the pain is like TN, sharp and hard jabs, but not as painful as TN and in a different area. It can be in the throat area, or tongue or tonsil area because it's a neuralgia caused by a lower cranial nerve (can't remember which one, and too lazy to go google it right now ) but google it and I'm sure you'll get the details.

Comment

My pain is like yours... sudden, sharp and short-lived. The jaw thing is more along my jaw and chin, but just below the jaw too. Of course, I still get the cheek and eye pain. All kinds of weird head pains at times.

I'm not looking for any meds to help, just wanted to run it by all of you to see if anyone feels anything similar. Thanks so much.
            Marti

Comment

You're kidding, right?

Can't imagine anyone having to ask, " Is it TN?". If you truly have TN, no need to ask...It is incapacitating paroxsysmal pain!!

Comment

Originally posted by skeptik View Post
                Can't imagine anyone having to ask, " Is it TN?". If you truly have TN, no need to ask...It is incapacitating paroxsysmal pain!!

Well, my neuro tells me I have a mild case and this pain is just a little different. It's moved from one side to the other. Gonna see the PCP Wednesday to see what she says.
                Marti

Comment

Originally posted by skeptik View Post
                  Do you have any semblance of civility at all. Or are you like this all the time. Poster asked a legitimate question and deserves a respectable answer.
                  Katie
                  "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                  "My MS is a Journey for One."
                  Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Skeptik, I wondered the same thing. I was told mild and TN were oxymorons. It is completely debilitating when it's occurring, and makes even the most emotionally steady person live in FEAR waiting for the next event. (At least I THOUGHT I was emotionally steady!)

Comment

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
                      Do you have any semblance of civility at all. Or are you like this all the time. Poster asked a legitimate question and deserves a respectable answer.
                      Thank you. I felt like an *** asking this. But my neuro keeps telling me my case is mild. For which I am grateful. I know it can be awful for some people and I truly hope they find some relief. I count my blessings every day that I can still get up and walk and that some of my syndromes are not as bad as they could be.
                      Marti

Comment

Marti - please, please never feel like your (or anyone's) questions here at MSW are invalid, silly, or whatever! We are a patient helping patient forum and we all have questions that are important to each one of us! I hope you can get some sort of relief and soon! ~Seasha~

And to all of us, please remember our important guideline - our first guideline here of showing respect towards others. We all want support while we navigate through MS!!
                        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                          Marti - please, please never feel like your (or anyone's) questions here at MSW are invalid, silly, or whatever! We are a patient helping patient forum and we all have questions that are important to each one of us! I hope you can get some sort of relief and soon! ~Seasha~

And to all of us, please remember our important guideline - our first guideline here of showing respect towards others. We all want support while we navigate through MS!!

Not to worry Seasha... I've been on this board for 12 years and have met all kinds. Sometimes people answer questions or posts dictated by the way they are feeling at the time. Some are just outspoken. Others (most) are wonderful, helpful people. By the way, I saw my doctor today and she confirmed that my new pain is TN.. just starting to manifest itself in a new place on my head. I'm just thankful it's not as bad as I've heard it can be. Some people really suffer a lot with this.
                          Marti

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
                            Not to worry Seasha... I've been on this board for 12 years and have met all kinds. Sometimes people answer questions or posts dictated by the way they are feeling at the time. Some are just outspoken. Others (most) are wonderful, helpful people. By the way, I saw my doctor today and she confirmed that my new pain is TN.. just starting to manifest itself in a new place on my head. I'm just thankful it's not as bad as I've heard it can be. Some people really suffer a lot with this.
                            Marti, there is what's called Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia. Don't know how it ties into the MS, I thought MS TN was in a class of it's own. I guess I'll have to do some googling

I'm like you, been around here for awhile, don't take anything too personally, and have had to do my share of apologizing when something I posted sounded harsher than I meant it.

There is a tendency to play "illness poker" sometimes and we have to guard against that. I don't think it's what people mean to do, but it just comes across that way sometimes.

Bottom line is: if your doc says you have TN, you have TN.

Comment

Working...
                            X