Ever practice falling with a PT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever practice falling with a PT?

After my fall in the bathroom this morning (tripped on a rug I should really get rid of!), I wonder if a PT can help me learn more about falling. I've had my share and thankfully haven't broken anything...yet. This prompted me to do an internet search on how to avoid falls and came up with this - http://www.fivestarseniorliving.com/...not-friend.php

Even though many of you aren't seniors yet, I thought it was somewhat helpful.

Has anyone gone to a PT to gain practice on falling and getting back up the correct way? Was it helpful?
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

No, but I did practice how to get up from a fall. We did it over and over again. It was the best thing I have learned from PT!

Comment

no, but yes

I myself have not gone, but, I have seen others at PT for that. I have sent people to Dr to ask for that order. They can teach you safety techniques of falling.
      God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

I also did a lot of floor transfers. It was incredibly useful.

Comment

Hit submit too fast!

Thank you for the link. I will ask my PT about this too.

Comment

My youngest didn't walk until she was almost 6 and she at one point was afraid of falling. Her PT taught us how to fall and she had to be taught how to get up after she fell. She couldn't get from sit to stand without help.

Comment

Seasha,
              I'm sorry you fell and glad you were not seriously injured. Your primary care physician is a good place to start for arranging PT, and scheduling fall prevention and safe fall training. During my physical therapy, our goal was to avoid a fall. We went through the house to look for hazards, went over proper footwear, etc. We did cover "getting up" and that was beneficial.

My PT did not go over "safe falling," but I practiced falling during airborne school (about 392 years ago) and it really does help prevent serious injury. Two weeks ago, my legs gave out I fell backwards on the stairs. I got bumps and bruises, but avoided hitting my head. Our next home will definitely not have stairs. My next dog will be a service/balance dog. Like these here: http://www.servicedogproject.org.

I hope you can find a good resource in your area(after throwing out that rug). Blessings to you and yours ........

Comment

Thank you all for your feedback. I found another site that talked about falling safely:

like folding your body like an accordian while you fall,
                slapping your palms on the floor if you fall forward,
                keeping your head up by putting one hand on the back of your head when falling backwards,
                remembering that rolling helps distribute the blow when you hit.

But, sometimes the fall comes on so abruptly, you don't have time to think about all these techniques!!

Yes, it's time for PT! I don't use a cane or walker in the house very often, preferring to hold onto walls or furniture. I walk most often bare foot to grip the floor better, but you're right Marco - time to get rid of those rugs!

I was lucky - only a few bruises and sore muscles.

P.S. Marco - you stay safe too! A Service dog for your future sounds like a wise and wonderful idea!
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                X