Reactions from a CAT scan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reactions from a CAT scan?

Has anyone had a negative reaction from a CAT scan?

Yesterday I was at the ER for what turned out to be two ovarian cysts (one on each ovary). In the process of diagnosing what was causing my abdominal pain, I had a CAT scan for which I had to drink a solution and then they also put a contrast in the IV when I had the CAT scan.

By the time they released me with some pain meds a few hours later, my belly was starting to make noises that continue through today. On the way home, I started to get nausea and figured it was just that I needed to drink/eat something.

I was a bit dehydrated when I went to the ER and the only liquid I had in the 8 hours I was there was the liquid for the CAT scan and one glass of ice water, so I started drinking water when I got home. Hubby made me some mac n cheese which I thought would be mild and I slept.

I woke up later in the evening with mild diarrhea that I still have. I kept drinking water and munching on saltines from time to time. At 3 am, I woke up with a horrible backache that I fixed with a tylenol.

Now at noon, my belly is still making all kinds of noises. Every time I visit the restroom, I have mild diarrhea. I have nausea off and on. And, my backache appeared suddenly again around 10 am, though it's calmed down a bit with pain pill and laying on the bed.

Anyone else have this kind of a reaction with a CAT scan? I have calls into the nurse on call at both the doctor and the ob/gyn, but haven't heard from them in the last 3 hours.

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad. It sounds like your reaction isn't to the CAT scan but to the contrast medium you drank. Those are knownside effects of the solution. It sounds like they didn't tell you that.

There's a radiology website that says:

You should tell your doctor if these mild side effects of barium-sulfate contrast materials become severe or do not go away:
    stomach cramps
    diarrhea
    nausea
    vomiting
    constipation

http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/safe...=sfty_contrast

It has only been about 24 hours and your side effects have been mild so maybe that's why nobody you have called has been in a hurry to call you back? I hope you hear from them before too long so you can get some advice and start feeling better soon.

Comment

Finally received a call back from the ob/gyn's office. They scheduled me for an appt for Monday, but weren't really helpful with the other sx I've been having. My regular doctor's office called and agreed that this sounds like a reaction to the contrast.

I've been keeping hydrated with water, but all I ate yesterday was a bowl of chicken noodle soup hubby brought home from Friendly's. It stayed down. Today, I feel better, but my stomach is still making horrible noises, I still have a bit of diarrhea left, but I was able to eat a biscuit for breakfast without getting nauseaus. Still, I'm absolutely exhausted and all I've done is sit in bed the past two days.

Comment

I'm glad your feeling a bit better. Have you tried something like Zantac for your stomach and Immodium for your diarrhea? They usually work pretty well for me.

Comment

Working...
        X