Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Relapse seems very bad, 2 new active lesions, no steroids, severe pain--need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relapse seems very bad, 2 new active lesions, no steroids, severe pain--need help

Seasha, thank you with all my heart for saying I could start a new thread. To all, this is a very long post with history included. I don’t want to take up your time unnecessarily, so please, if you think you can help, skip down to my questions in bold.

I am very worried. The last day I was in the hospital the doctor there said that since August 2012 of last year I had 3 new lesions in my temporal lobe, and 2 were active (this was on Sept. 4, just about a week ago). He said his diagnosis was a “relapse with the UTI as an inciting event,” and he had the hospital schedule a follow-up with my neurologist on September 24th!!!

I was extremely concerned because this seemed far too long to wait. I also was in a lot of pain when I left the hospital, and I have been in a lot of pain since.

So I called my neurologist’s office and it turned out he had not looked at the MRI. I explained to the nurse what it said and they fit me in on Friday Sept. 6.

I feel like I have to explain what this relapse feels like. Please bear with me. I don’t know when it started. I was on morphine and the IV antibiotics for the UTI for those 7 days in the hospital, and all I know is when they took me off the morphine I had new pain.

My two biggest problems are 1. severe clenching from the abdomen down and 2. feeling like my stomach is being eaten from the inside out.

1. The clenching starts just below my ribs and stretches around my back, and it continues down to my abdomen, lower back, bottom, and tops of my thighs. I also get seizing foot cramps in both feet, and I have to keep kicking them out.

This clenching is so bad that I can’t sit still. When I sit, I’ll find I am lifting my bottom off the seat and crossing my legs as hard and tight as I can without meaning to. I can walk, but I walk very stiffly and slowly because of the clenching and the pain.

The clenching is constant, and has been since I left the hospital.

I told my neurologist about the clenching, and he put me back on Percocet every four hours for pain. He also has me continuing to take Neurontin, 100 mg 3 times a day, which is a new drug for me. He also raised my Baclofen. I used to just take 20 at night for spasticity, and now he has me take 20 in the morning and 20 at night.

Unfortunately, none of this seems to be working very well. The Percocet seems to be losing its efficacy. I can get about 2 hours out of one. It’s not that it stops the clenching so much as it keeps it at a distance enough so I can think straight (relatively ) and unstiffen enough to sit still and walk better.

I don’t think the Neurontin is helping, but it is hard to know, because in the day I am on Percocet, too.

20 mg of Baclofen does not cut it at all, in the day or at night. What I have been doing is taking 40 mg at night. If I take that along with 2 Clonazepam and my 3rd Neurontin I can get 8 hours of sleep, but only every other night, which I know is very strange.

So, for example, on Sept. 8th I took that and slept 8 hours, but last night (Sept. 9th) I took the same thing at the same time and for 5 hours I was up clenching and twisting around. Then I broke down and took 10 more Baclofen and finally fell asleep at 5 am.

All I can do at these times is watch back to back Law and Order: Special Victims Units on hulu. I know it’s ridiculous, but I can’t read or write or think or clean the house, which really, really needs to be cleaned. . The TV just distracts me from the pain enough so I feel like I’m not going crazy. Last night I watched 5 episodes. Who knew SVU would be an effective pain reliever? Thank you, Mariska Hargitay!!!

2. I also feel at least a few times a day like my stomach is being eaten from the inside out, especially after I have eaten. The Percocet helps with that, but it is pretty severe and scary. The bouts of the pain last about an hour or so. I do wonder if maybe it could be from all those antibiotics?

A couple days after I left the hospital my tongue turned black and I looked it up on google and apparently there is a condition called Hairy Black Tongue (which is actually kind of funny, when you think about it. What would they call MS if they just followed the same rules. Messed Up Brain and Spine? ) that can be caused by prolonged use of antibiotics. I started taking probiotics and it’s getting better. Now my husband calls it fuzzy brown tongue.

The other problems I have I don’t know whether to chalk up to the relapse or the lack of sleep or the new meds (the raised Percocet, the Neurontin).
    --I have severe hand tremors on and off throughout the day.
    --My face doesn’t look right. My mouth is always drawn in and turned down, and my eyes are always at half-mast.
    --My vision is sometimes blurry.
    --My cognition is slow and my sense of time seems to be very off. Sometimes it will feel like an hour has passed and it’s been ten minutes, but more often it will seem like at most a half an hour has passed and it’s been two. I am having a hard time prioritizing or making sense of things.

The good things are that I can still pee normally since the cystoscopy. And the probiotics and stool softener have gotten things moving again! And I persuaded my neurologist to stop prescribing Bentyl, thank goodness. He is having me take Pyrideum and Flomax for my bladder.

All of this has been going on since September 4th, the day I left the hospital. When I saw my neurologist on the 6th he wrote these prescriptions. He did a clinical exam and I did well, but I had taken a leftover Percocet to get through the car ride down. He said my lesions did not match my symptoms and that he thought that we should “watch and wait.”

He said he did want to get an MRI of my T-spine and I just got ahold of the nurse today and got it scheduled for Friday the 13th at noon. I told the nurse that the pain was still severe and I asked if I could schedule a follow-up appointment after the results from the MRI were in and she said he’d probably just give me a call. I also told her I needed more Percocet for the pain. When I saw the neurologist on Friday he said just to call him when I ran out of my old Percocet, but it turns out the prescription has to be written, which is why my husband had to drive to Colorado today.

So my questions are:

1. Is it normal to have this much pain with an MS relapse? I have had pain with relapses before, and with just day-to-day MS symptoms, in the past 8 years since my diagnosis. But this pain is beyond anything. I live from Percocet to Percocet. I count myself lucky if I can sleep 5 hours. Maybe it would be different if I hadn’t had so much pain with the UTI and cystitis for a month before the dr. said I was having the relapse because of the UTI?

2. Why aren’t the meds working? I have heard good things about Neurontin but it hasn’t seemed to help yet???

3. What does my neurologist mean when he says my symptoms don’t match my lesions and we should watch and wait? Watch and wait for what? I do not mean to be impatient but we watched and waited with my UTI and I ended up in the hospital for a week after almost a month of escalating pain and MS symptoms, and now I’m having a relapse beyond anything I have ever experienced.

4. Am I just being a brat, as my Mom would say? I know there are so many people who have so much more severe MS issues than I do. You can be honest with me and tell me. It’s just for me—I’ve been lucky. I have only had two severe relapses in 8 years, and neither one has been anywhere near as bad as this one. And for the most part I’ve been able to keep working full-time and be there for my family.

So I guess what I am saying is I am ready to accept that this is what is happening, that it’s inevitable. But I just want to know what the plan is. How long am I supposed to live with this kind of pain and this lack of sleep without going crazy? If it’s normal for my neurologist not to have a plan, then that is OK, too. I just need to know if any of this is normal.

I also keep thinking about something Kimba22 said, about not being near a Trauma 1 hospital? My MS was so stable for so many years I guess I just didn’t think about it before, but now it seems like being in a rural area is really hurting me (nothing against rural areas—I grew up in rural Michigan). But maybe my husband and I need to go to Denver?

In the end, I guess all these questions above lead to that final question: I am feeling like I am not getting the right kind of care. But I worry lack of sleep and the constant pain meds are making me paranoid. So if you can give me a reality check, please do.

I just got on the site and saw Brothrgoose, you posted that you’d emailed. My husband is sleeping now. With the Percocet, I was able to take care of my little girl tonight!!! I took extra. I do not feel comfortable with that and I am going to try not to do it, but I got to hear all about her first grade class.

I am about to go to sleep too, if I can, and I’ll ask my husband for help with the email in the morning. If I can’t sleep, there’s always Law and Order: SVU! And me knowing you all are there. Just saying that makes me start to cry with gratitude and this fear I keep trying to tamp down in my day to day life.

I haven’t been so scared in all my life, even when I was diagnosed, and I don’t think back to back Law and Order SVUs would keep on keeping me on without knowing you are there and you care. Bless this board, and all of you.

Emily

PS. And Kimba, I just also saw what you asked about the IV steroids. He did not mention steroids at all. I have been on oral Prednisone for my first and second relapse. It helped both times, though the side effects were unpleasant—nothing near what I’ve been through lately, though, at all. I’ve never been on IV steroids. Is this something we should look into?

Emily.

Emily,
    I am so glad that you wanted to reach out to me....however, I still can't seem to connect with you.

I now have even more questions after reading this new thresd.

I work for and have been trained at a top tier trauma hospital, renowned for its level of service to adults and especially, children.
    Out of the 5 hospitals w/in our "system", we are the only to have "magnet" status for excellence in nursing...why not the others? I dont know. I dont think they even tried.

I have many issues with your plight or I wouldn't have made such an issue out of trying to contact you,
    Disabled RN, Cardiac Intensive Care
    Dx'd 11/03/2005, Sx's for 15+ years prior
    STOPPED DM's 10/15/2010, last one, Tysabri

Don't ask for a better life, ask to be a stronger person!

Comment

Hi Emily,

I am sorry you are dealing with such a horrible relapse

It seems to me steroids would probably be a good idea, they just might calm everything down.

1. Is it normal to have this much pain with an MS relapse? I have had pain with relapses before, and with just day-to-day MS symptoms, in the past 8 years since my diagnosis. But this pain is beyond anything. I live from Percocet to Percocet. I count myself lucky if I can sleep 5 hours. Maybe it would be different if I hadn’t had so much pain with the UTI and cystitis for a month before the dr. said I was having the relapse because of the UTI?
      Unfortunately yes, it is possible to have some very extreme pain with some exacerbations.

I have not had the type of pain you are describing but I have dealt with extreme pain with 3 of my exacerbations.

The pain was bad enough that anything touching me (clothes, socks, shoes, blankets, sheets, a gentle hug) brought me to tears. It was a type of pain that is hard to explain and is something I could not imagine trying to live with...it was unbearable.

I am so very sorry you are in so much pain

Usually an infection (UTI), virus, or flu can cause a Pseudo-exacerbation and once the infection, virus, flu resolves so does the temporary increase of MS symptoms. Sometimes the infection, flu, virus can trigger an exacerbation such as suspected in your case.

2. Why aren’t the meds working? I have heard good things about Neurontin but it hasn’t seemed to help yet???

It is possible Symptom Management medications are not enough and steroids are needed You are showing active (inflammation) lesions on MRI.

3. What does my neurologist mean when he says my symptoms don’t match my lesions and we should watch and wait? Watch and wait for what? I do not mean to be impatient but we watched and waited with my UTI and I ended up in the hospital for a week after almost a month of escalating pain and MS symptoms, and now I’m having a relapse beyond anything I have ever experienced.

It means you need a new neuro. He is treating the MRI and not you. A good neuro will treat the patient not the MRI.

4. Am I just being a brat, as my Mom would say?

No Emily. You need help and your neuro is not providing it.

He did not mention steroids at all.
      You have the right to ask for steroids if that is your choice. I am not real big on steroids but from what you have been going through I feel steroids would be a very good option right now.

Take care, Emily
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

You poor thing!

Ditto what Snoopy said.

Originally posted by Emily74 View Post

PS. And Kimba, I just also saw what you asked about the IV steroids. He did not mention steroids at all. I have been on oral Prednisone for my first and second relapse. It helped both times, though the side effects were unpleasant—nothing near what I’ve been through lately, though, at all. I’ve never been on IV steroids. Is this something we should look into?

Emily.
        Some of your pain, maybe not all, is from your relapse! I still don't understand why your neuro hasn't prescribed steroids ... yet is prescribing Percocet. (Another thing that sounds odd to me. Neuros usually won't prescribe narcotics.) Whatever, you still need whatever relief steroids might provide from your relapse!

IV steroids work the fastest. Usually they are prescribed for 3-5 days. I've had them given at home, besides in the hospital. Considering you've never had the high dose IV Steroids, I'd think it's safer to have them administered under the supervision of a dr.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ids/index.aspx

http://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclero...ng-iv-steroids

I don't know if Denver is too far for you, but you might want to check out the Rocky Mountain MS Center. (I can't help but think you need a new neuro!)

I wish there was more I could tell you that could help. You do have legitimate issues going on, so you should be complaining!

From one Michigander to another (who's also watched more than her fair share of Law & Order) ... wishing you well!
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

OH, hun, my heart breaks for you~ I am so sorry this is going on. What this tells me is how much docs DEPEND on meds to stop any and all symptoms.

I would think your systems are so malnourished if not toxic and you sound like you are having myoclonic spasms. At least my new MS doc knows about needing potassium and magnesium which really helps with spasms.

Just know that not ONE doc can know it all or do all for you. YOU unfortunately have to do much of the leg work and ASK them for help in certain areas as you learn more.

MEDS-toxins in our bodies. We NEED them, but they are also man-make and high doses, esp with an infection throws off the much need homeostasis our bodies NEED to function.

If I were you, I would be detoxing all those toxins as your liver/kidneys are probably so compromised at this time. I have seen a specialized nutritionist thank goodness. My MS doc was amazed at how well he helped. He gently detoxed my system as I was near organ failure. He gently built up my system at same time. He never touched my meds, but could evaluate how they were affecting my body systems.

Continue to ask for spiritual guidance so you can find the RIGHT person(s) ASAP to help you get to the bottom of this.

I will cont to pray for you.. as you need DIVINE intervention as I see this.

Gentle Hugs, Jan
          I believe in miracles~!
          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

thank you all--we have a new plan, I think

Jan, thank you so much for your prayers and hugs. And what foods could I eat that would be gentle on my stomach but high in potassium and magnesium? I used to eat a banana every day but I am trying to stay away from anything that could be constipating because that was such a huge issue when I got out of the hospital. So I am trying to get fiber but also I can't eat much without getting the "stomach eating itself" pain. Any recommendations you have would help if you have time!

Brothrgoose, I am so sorry it took me so long to get back. My husband wrote me instructions to get into the email but I had the password wrong. I just sent you an email, and I am so, so grateful for your help--please don't give up on me! If I am slow to respond it is just because I am having trouble finding "good times" of day to write.

I have to on enough pain meds to sit still and sit up, but I also have to be at the stage in the pain med where it's working but I'm not too loopy to think. The only way I've been able to do posts to the board since I got back from the hospital is to type them in a word document in my computer for about 20 minutes at a time before the loopys starts or the pain starts. I will start a document like that for you and that will let me keep writing.

Kimba22, another Michigander! And SVU fan. Thank you so much for the links and explanations about steroids.

I am feeling like an idiot for not asking about them at the neuro appointment. He'd only fit me in for a half an hour and we had the MRI and the clinical and I just managed to blurt out all my worries about pain management. I do not know why he has me on Percocet except that when I went to the ER the first time in mid-August they gave it to me and I told him that it relieved the pain. I am so grateful to have it because it's the only thing that's kept me going, but I am worried I am building a tolerance.

I wanted to ask you about IV steroids in the hospital. Would I have to go back to Colorado and be re-admitted? I am totally willing to do that if it will stop this--it is getting worse, not better, but I wondered if there is any way to do it outpatient? We have a hospital in town but no neurologist. I just do not want to leave my family again, which is selfish of me. If I have to go back to Colorado to get better, than that is what is best for my family, not me here and sick and getting sicker.

Snoopy, thank you so much for your kindness and careful detail in your post. I am relieved to know that it does happen, this much pain in a relapse, although I am so sorry you went through what you did. It makes the pain so much more bearable to know that it's something that happens, and something that passes.

And what you said about my neurologist treating the MRI and not me makes so much sense. I showed it to my husband. And thank you for saying I am not a brat.

And Snoopy, I had one more question--you wrote you were not real big on steroids. May I ask why? I just want to know if there is anything I should be worried about? No need to answer if you don't feel comfortable.

So based on the advice you have given me, my husband and I have tried to make a plan. We have the t-spine MRI on Friday the 13th at noon. We thought that on Monday the 16th we would call my neurologist and ask to get in ASAP--say whatever we need to--so we can get the results and then ask about steroids--unless I get better between now and then, which is unlikely. That will be 12 days since I got out of the hospital and 10 since I saw him and so I will have given his "watch and wait" advice time and I will have done the procedure he ordered.

I have been called a "non-compliant" patient before (long and icky story) and so my husband and I are now fearful of making a neurologist mad. But I think if I have followed his advice and I am still in this excruciating pain we just have to push back.

If you have time, will you tell me what you think of this plan? And thank you again, for everything.

Emily

Comment

Emily I can't figure out either why your doctors didn't put you on high dose steroids for your relapse.

Steroids can have some pretty awful side effects but they're the only thing that's left. People who haven't had great success with steroids might not appreciate them. It's that old thing that if something doesn't work for somebody or they've had a bad result they see mostly the negative things. But the people like me who have had very good results from steroids will recommend them. Especially when nothing else has worked. And a couple of time the only thing that helped the pain was steroids taking the inflammation down. Even strong pain killers didn't work a couple of times.

Normally high dose IV steroids can be done outpatient. Except for the very first time I have always done them at a clinic or at home. (My veins are shot so now I just take really high dose prednisone orally.) But the side effects can be awful and you have been SO sick that I wouldn't recommend that you try that.

I think that you are already having so much trouble that it won't be possible for you to handle the side effects of the steroids on top of everything else without being in the hospital. You'll probably need a medication to help your stomach and another one to fight agitation and help you sleep. The IV steroid never even touches you stomach but it can cause terrible stomach upset and diarrhea and you don't want to try that on your own!

So I would like to put in my vote for a stay in the hospital for you for high dose IV steroids. I hope you can get some more help and that you feel better soon.

Comment

Potassium rich foods;

Avocado
                Potato
                (tomato-acidic)
                Oranges/ or juice
                Mango
                Spinach
                Apricot
                Butternut & Acorn Squash
                Dates
                Prune juice
                Soybeans
                Strawberry
                Pistaschios
                Papaya
                Peach
                Cantaloupe
                Apple
                Raisins
                Pomegranate
                Pear
                Nectarines
                Honeydew
                Grapefruit
                WHITE CHOCOLATE

Tons of foods have it, mostly FRESH fruit and veges..those are my GO TO foods for it, though.

I cheat, I buy the Naked juiced veges with the high K+; Because my K+ drops 0.6 in 4 hours, generally. I also take prescript K+ and never get enough! The positive side for me is--I am asymptomatic with a K+ of 3.0 (which is pretty low). fed

Comment

I am feeling like an idiot for not asking about them at the neuro appointment.
                  Emily,

You shouldn't feel that way. It was your neuros job to tell you how or if he thought he should treat your flare. And then explain why or why not. You've hired him for answers, not the other way around.

The only reason I can think of why he may have dismissed prescribing steroids is because you said you did well on his clinical exam. But you mentioned symptoms such as tremors, facial drooping, blurry vision, cognition difficulties, (not to mention your increased spasticity and pain). Was all of that going on when you saw him on the 6th? If not, I'd let him know ASAP. These symptoms might be resolved with the steroids.

The steroids should be started soon. I found an old thread where a poster named Redwings gave an explanation why: http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101883

And yes, I also think the safest place for you to get IV Steroids would be as an in-patient.

I do hope your pain starts to subside so you can stop taking the Percocet. Building up a tolerance isn't a good thing. The last thing I'd want for you is to end up in detox as well. Unfortunately, it happens.

I hope you find doctors who are partners in your care. Not ones who you fear making mad. You deserve better than that.

I wish you the best.
                  Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

And Snoopy, I had one more question--you wrote you were not real big on steroids. May I ask why? I just want to know if there is anything I should be worried about? No need to answer if you don't feel comfortable.
                    Emily,

I should have clarified my answer better. My comment is based on my personal experience for my MS.

I used steroids for my first 2 exacerbations (1985, 1986). With my 3rd exacerbation (1994) I did not use steroids and the exacerbation resolved in the same amount of time. My last 2 exacerbations (2001, 2002) I also did not use steroids.

Steroids can have long term and short term side effects. One of those side effects are steroid induced cataracts. I have congenital cataracts and was informed steroids could possibly make them active. That did not happen, thank goodness.

I get very spacey, for lack of a better word, on steroids. I can be driving and not remember were I am going or why. I went for a walk in my neighborhood and got confused about were I was and had a hard time remembering were my house was.

It is those experiences that I am not real big on steroids for myself.

Steroids have their place and sometimes are necessary. From what you have written I believe steroids may be necessary for you.
                    Diagnosed 1984
                    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Emily,
                      I have been following your threads for the past few days and am so upset FOR you!! My heart is breaking and I've been praying for you.

I think the thing that upsets me the most is that the doctors aren't listening to you. This is NOT all in your mind, and if you are going crazy, it's because you're incredible pain and there doesn't seem to be any relief or end in sight. Someone told me once that we can endure quite a lot, as long as we know how much longer we have to endure it!

I agree with the others, you NEED treatment that you are not getting. I am new to MS, in fact am still in the waiting game of having only had one episode so am sitting with a CIS (pre-MS/probable MS) diagnosis, so I don't know all the treatment options like the others do.

But you mentioned going to Denver and another suggested getting a new neuro. DO IT! But don't do it blind. Find an MS specialist if possible in Denver. Call his office, beg, plead and cry to be seen SOON! Tell them your situation, that you are far away and not receiving the care needed in the middle of your flare. That you NEED help.

It also sounds like you need some type of advocate to fight this for you. Is there anyone you know who is tenacious and will fight tooth and nail for you? (other than your husband--he's too close to this and as you mentioned earlier is more of a "yes doctor") You yourself are in too much pain and in a medicine induced fog to effectively stand up for yourself right now.

Get your medical records from your PCP, neurologist, your MRI scans, copies of your hospital medical charts, anything and everything from the start of this UTI business. Send them ahead of time to a neuro in Denver. Let him see your history as written by the doctors or have them send you a medical records release and have them sent to him.

You are NOT being a brat. You are NOT making this up or going crazy or being a wimp.

You NEED help! You know this, any one who has read your posts knows this...now you just need to find a GOOD doctor who knows this and will HELP you!

Hang in there...continue to fight---not with who you have already been fighting with, but fighting to see someone who can see this for what it is and will help you!

Comment

Highway closed—no MRI today, pain management questions, responses to your thoughtful

Hi everyone,

No MRI today: This is a bit unbelievable—but true. My husband and I woke up this morning and heard on the radio that the highway to Colorado was closed because of massive flooding.

I called the hospital and they said it was so bad that they thought that it would probably be closed tomorrow, too.

So we cannot get there!!! And I could not get the MRI scheduled again til Tuesday the 17th at 2.

So this destroys our plan to get the MRI today and then try and crash my neurologist’s office on Monday for an emergency appointment.

Still Emergency Appointment with Neurologist on Monday, even without MRI?: I still think that we should do everything we can to get in to see him on Monday.

Clinical Question: Kimba22, Thank you for your point about the clinical. I was reading what you said and when I think about it I was not tremoring like this when I saw him—but those tremors come and go. My weakness and spasticity have definitely increased in the past week because of the pain and lack of sleep and inactivity.

And every day I look in the mirror I look more scary sick. The eyes half closed all the time thing is just awful to see, but I can see out of them. It’s just that the lids are puffy and drooping. It could be fatigue, but last night I noticed my right eyelid is drooping more than my left one? So maybe if he saw me again it would “click.” I know it’s scaring me!

Help with Pain: I also remember him saying it was important while we “watched and waited” for me to have my pain managed and for me to rest. But my pain is not being managed and I only slept 3 and a half hours last night. Now that is 3 nights straight that the 40 Baclofen and 2 Clonazepam have not been enough.

Do you think he will listen if I explain I don’t know how I can heal in this pain, without sleep? Sleep has always been so healing to my MS—from the relapses I’ve had to just living with it day to day. When I was working full-time and I had a tough week—tons of papers to grade, or something—I would know that I would need to schedule a “sleep day” for Saturday afternoon, and I’d just conk out from 12:00 to 5:00, and then I’d sleep another full night, and then Sunday I’d be back up and feel renewed.

I remember now how I hated to have a sleep day because I’d want to be with Ellie and to be using the time to clean and run errands, but now I think my body isn’t even sleeping at night, really—and now more than ever it would need sleep days. And that’s just not possible.

In the meantime, pain management questions for over the weekend:
                        I am concerned about the Percocet, as you know. And I am feeling sort of helpless about the Neurontin, 100 mg 3 times a day. My PCP told me he thought it was too low a dose? I also keep thinking about this clenching. It is so severe it reminds me of when I was in labor with Ellie (17 hours). It was also something Hsmaldo said, about enduring anything as long as you know how long. I knew once she was born it would be over. The clenching is like one long contraction. And this makes me think of spasticity, and makes me wonder about my Baclofen dose?

I mentioned before—forgive me for repeating myself!—that he has me on 20 mg in the day and 20 at night, but in desperation for sleep at night I started taking 40 before bed and none during the day. But would it make sense for me to be on a higher dose of Baclofen? Is anyone else on a higher dose, or does anyone else know of another anti-spasticity med that is effective for you?

And does anyone know of any pain med that might work better/and not be so worrisome as the Percocet?

Steroids: I have been listening and I know the consensus is that I should be on IV steroids, in-patient, and if I can get him to see me and listen I am going to push for that. But if he won’t do it until the MRI comes back, I am trying to think of what I might ask him for in the meantime to do something about this terrible pain.

Fedup, thank you for that great list of potassium rich foods. Tonight we are having potatoes!!!

Snoopy, thanks for clarifying about steroids. What you said makes perfect sense.

Hsmaldo, thank you, thank you for your post, and for all you said about believing in me. And I agree with you, I need to get to an MS specialist in Denver—once this flare is resolved I hope never to see this neurologist again. I will try what you said—to beg and plead. In the past, I have had to wait up to a month or two to see a new neurologist. Even when I was first diagnosed in the hospital the neurologist who took over my case there couldn’t see me for two weeks—and I knew nothing about MS!!! So that was a long two weeks.

Has anyone else been able to get in to see a new neurologist stat without a referral? If so, how did you do it?

And thank you too, Hsmaldo, for saying I needed an advocate. I know I do. My mom would fight tooth and nail, but my parents are in Michigan and it would be a huge financial hardship for them to come here (they are retired and on a fixed income). Our income has been cut in half now, and I talked to my husband about the possibility of getting them a plane ticket on the credit card, but we also are worried because we never know if we can get in to see anyone. I just don’t know what to do—it is hard to think. We have a small house and I am just imagining me in this pain and my husband and my parents sort of indefinitely together in this tiny space—and my husband and my parents get along, but they are not a good fit in terms of living together. I guess I’m afraid it would just make matters worse, in terms of stress.

Thank you to all of you. I’m hitting a pain threshold and god, want to sleep—nothing can be done now until Monday, anyway, when the roads are back open, but it means everything to be able to talk to you.

Emily

Comment

Oh, Emily ...... of all times, why now??? The images I've seen from the flooding are devastating. And it's still raining ...

The only other thing I was thinking of before the massive flooding occurred was going to the ER at Colorado University Hospital.

I hate that you weren't prescribed IV steroids already. That's really the only thing that I hoped might help you. (Oral would be too hard on your stomach, which is already in so much pain!) To be most effective for a flare, they need to be offered to you soon, though.

40 mg of oral Baclofen at one dose is A LOT. Oral Baclofen can be hard on your stomach. There is another drug called Tizanidine that could be used for spasticity instead of, or in conjunction with, oral Baclofen. I know one of the side effects can be drowsiness, so taking it before bed might help you sleep. Gabapentin can also help with spasticity (which is most likely why your your neuro also prescribed it). I doubt even doubling or tripling your dose of it is going to help you that much, though.

I take a pretty high dose of Gabapentin (it helps make some of the " sensations" I get more tolerable, but doesn't do much for my spasticity or pain).

I have had to go another route for spasticity, since maximum doses of oral medications weren't enough to control it (I have had something called a Baclofen pump surgically implanted several years ago - the liquid form of the medicine gets delivered directly to your spinal fluid). Last year, when I was in the hospital, they added oral baclofen and increased my gabapentin to try lower my temporarily increased spasticity.

I don't know of any other other drug you could use for pain. There are other narcotics that might work better for you, but maybe they won't. I have had to use opiates in the past, and have been seeing a pain management specialist for several years.

I really don't know how you can get in for an appt. with another neuro stat. What I do know is some people have gotten in much sooner than their originally scheduled appt. because they got in due to a cancellation. I remember a poster on this board who got into a neuro at U of M within weeks, instead of months that way.

I wish I could offer more helpful suggestions. The only other thing I can think of would a sleeping medication. But you'd be in some real serious trouble if you took extra doses of that. You just can't go on trying to self-medicate, but I know how desperate you are for relief. I've been there ...

You are in my prayers, Emily. It's heartbreaking to hear you are facing another obstacle ~ Mother Nature.

(((Hugs))),
                          Kimba

Comment

Pain, pain, pain--is there any way to get help?

Hi,

I feel so selfish when I know the floods have been devastating--and I'm here whining about not being able to get to my MRI or neuro.

Kimba, thank you so much for writing back.

The pain is getting worse. Or maybe it isn't--maybe it's just gone on too long and I haven't been able to sleep a full night for so long.

But I am just reaching my limit. Tomorrow is Monday. The MRI is Tuesday, if we can get to CO. I looked at the journal I've been keeping and saw that last Sunday Sept. 8 I wrote, "pain, pain, pain."

I am starting to be afraid to go to sleep at night. It's only two to three hours at a time now and I wake up with the clenching and my feet seizing and I rock. I am so tired when this is happening that I have vertigo when I turn my head and I feel almost like I'm hallucinating--probably lack of sleep--I hear songs I used to sing to my little girl when she was a baby, I remember things from college.

And daytimes are just surreal, this blur of "when can I take Percocet, OK, when will it kick in, OK, it's kicked in but now I am fuzzy and hazy and can't think well, OK it's wearing off and now I can think but the pain will start soon, I may have 45 minutes, OK, it's starting again, I need to take the Percocet, but it's not time," etc. I am exhausted but the pain keeps me from sleeping. I try to hide it from my daughter.

I said to my husband today that I wanted to call my neuro tomorrow since the floods prevented me from reaching him and ask him for anything stronger to relieve the pain, anything. My husband said he didn't think my neuro would prescribe anything stronger, and the conversation ended there. I tried to explain: I can't keep going this way.

I am starting to feel less than human.

Is there anything stronger for pain management than Percocet or for spasticity than Baclofen or both? I am going to keep trying to get to my neuro, keep trying to find another neuro, go do my MRI on Tuesday, all of it, but I am starting to have lots of trouble imagining another day or another night, even just one more, in this kind of pain.

I want to just cry and cry, just fall into a ball and cry and cry, but I have to go in and have dinner with my husband and daughter, though I have no appetite. I eat watermelon.

Please, do you know anything that might help with the pain that my current neuro or PCP might prescribe me, stat? I feel like if just had a couple good nights' sleep, a few pain free days, I could start over, be stronger, but I can't think straight any more.

I'm not talking long-term here; I'm just talking as a person who is really broken down and scared of the next minute. I know you've all gone out of your way to give every suggestion you could, and I don't want to tax you, but with the flooding it will be at least 3 more days before I can get to see my neuro. If you know of any way I can get out of pain enough to sleep and maintain my sanity for those days, please tell me.

Emily

Comment

Your Dr does know of medications to prescribe for your pain and percocet is a good start, if it works.

If not, report to your M.D. first thing in the A.M. and ask for stronger pain medication, asap. If that helps, but doesn't allow for sleep...well, that is another phone call.

You are absolutely correct, you are getting 'worn' down with the pain and less tolerant. But, it sounds like it is worse, even with the current plan. It would be hopeful, to get this relapse treated asap, instead of 'blinding' the docs vision with the pain medications.

If I were that close to CO, well--I am sure you are aware of your options. And do hope you get the prescriptions and relief you deserve..SOON.

You can go to an ER for pain shots, as well, if the pain is intolerable and the pills aren't helping. Your M.D. can prescribe that in the ER, for you, as well. There are plenty of options, the problem is 'getting' proper orders from you M.D.'s. Suggesting pain medication to her/him is a bad idea. M.S. meds--is a different thing.

If the pain meds aren't helping, you need to be on the phone the same day, asking for something else or an increase in dose. For the future, remember that with all new prescriptions that are prn.

No one should be in the pain you are! I sure hope you can get some action with your M.D.s tomorrow. fed

Comment

Working...
                              X