Fear of a wheelchair and overcoming it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fear of a wheelchair and overcoming it

A month or so ago several people helped guide me to the Creative Center with my "stream of conscientious" after being confined to a wheelchair. Writing about it was very cathartic for me and hopefully it might help someone here think about their fears in a different way. It is in Creative Essays now, called Wheelchair Bound. Thanks again to those who encouraged me.

Hi Cher! Great news. I'll be sure to look for it
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thank you for the story, it was great to read. While I am not in a chair (yet...), I do use a cane and walker and occassionally a transport chair, I know exactly how you felt/feel.

Comment

Thanks for submitting your story. I could relate to so much of it! I loved your sense of humor, too. Will probably be thinking of your dog sniffing remark the next time I'm on an elevator! lol
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Wheelchair bound

Thanks for the nice comments. I haven't logged in for a little bit as we've been busy ....the latest news is my husband has prostate cancer for which he is scheduled for surgery next Tuesday. We live in an over-55 community and the good news is there are a bunch of friends who share stories like ours and we know we are in the best hands. The surprise is that I'm sometimes the healthiest one in the room!!! LOL. An upside to everything, right?

Comment

I love the way you look at things. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband. Take care
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. Hope his surgery goes well!

Comment

Surgery follow-up

The robotic surgery to remove my husband's prostate due to a positive biopsy went well but the pathology report post surgery revealed cancer just outside the prostate. We haven't gotten the final word from the surgeon but it looks like they are just going to monitor his PSA and hope that further treatment can be postponed indefinitely. A rise in his PSA would force a different direction. Funny how a day can change everything. For the old farts out ther like us, Groucho's word of the day is HOPE...FOLLOWED CLOSELY BY GRATITUDE.

Comment

Good news about your husband.

My fear of being in a wheelchair is rapidly being overcome by the potential pleasure of being able to sit comfortably, without having to exhaust myself, staggering about like an extra on the Walking Dead.
                  Then they never seem to fall over.

"Oh, you're walking so much better'", heard this, heard it a hundred times this week. Well, slight exaggeration. maybe ten.

Compared to what? A three-legged dog?

Comment

To thinkimjob

Thanks! By the way, my best friend is a three- legged dog!
                    See? It could be worse😁

Comment

Working...
                    X