Heat during MRI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat during MRI

I have had many MRI's during the course of MS. This past April was very unusual. After scanning the brain and the cervical regions the technician told me that I would feel some warmth during the thoracic scan. They removed the blanket and stated the scan.

At the beginning I did feel warmth but comfortable. As the scan continued it became very warm and dry. My mouth,lips and eyes became very dry and it was difficult to breathe.

The usual presence of a fan was not there. I finally squeezed the call button which they ignored. At that point I decided to move to get their attention. They finished scanning and brought me out.

They were not very nice. I did complain to the hospital but still not sure what went wrong. Scheduled for another scan this month. Obviously going somewhere else. I welcome any feedback.

Did you have contrast injected? Maybe that caused the sensation of warmth and other symptoms.

I remember having a warm sensation from the contrast dye when I had a CT scan for something other than MS.

Comment

Heat during MRI

I did have the contrast dye but I have always had the dye and never had a problem. It was just like a sauna in there. Very unusual. I think the fan was broken.

Comment

May need a sedative??

I too had a lengthy MRI this last spring... It did get warm in there, and I also questioned the fan working in my case too... Thankfully I was knocked out and asleep for most of it, but I do recall it was getting uncomfortable just when they finished, and the sedative they gave me was just starting to wear off. You might consider asking the Dr that ordered the MRI to also order something to knock you out for a while.

Comment

Heat during MRI

Not sure I want to be sedated. I guess I'd like to know what is going on so that I could press the call ball. I had the entire scan in 2012 and it was perfectly comfortable. I actually don't mind the scan. It just seemed like something was not working properly......like the fan.

Comment

My MRI's in November, I became very symptomatic with syncopy--from teh heat of the machine. It was a full spinal scan and the longer the scan the hotter it gets; with or without dye.

Last week, I had a lumbar spine MRI and warned the tech that if I get hot and squeeze the call button...pull me OUT!

One thing for sure, when I told the last guy of my syncopy and the heat inside the machine, he 'checked' on me frequently and paid attention.

They can STOP an MRI and let you out for air. Being more observant during my MRI last week, I DEFINITELY FELT A FAN ON. And as you suspect, theirs was probably broken and they need to address that issue

or the tech..in watching for the call light and to let you get some cooler air. Unless, they give you certain notification that they have 'fixed' the problem, surely follow your desire and go elsewhere.

Surely, you are not the only person that has had a problem with the heat; yet with M.S--heat is an issue and the owner of the machine needs to address the Machine or the Technician and FIX the problem!

It can get hot, but they should NOT ignore the call light!
            THERE IS DEFINITELY A PROBLEM HERE! fed

Comment

I've had everything scanned with and without contrast but was always freezing. It definitely sounds like their fan was broken.

Comment

Heat during MRI

Glad I asked this question. I really agree......Something was not working properly. Thanks to all her responded. This is a great forum. Really feel connected.

Comment

Working...
                X