Diagnosed by accident...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diagnosed by accident...

After a bad cold I had lost sense of taste and smell...ENT sent me for Mri looking for sinus issues...surprise...5 lesions...lots of blood work...5 obands...and I have MS...after 4 months my sense of smell is better now and I am able to taste the first few bites of food before it disappears....has this happened to anyone else?? No other real symptoms that would make me question something wasn't right...

My taste has sort of "deadend" but that happened after my tonsillectomy so I don't think it was due to my MS.
    Diagnosed: May 2013
    Device: Cane
    MEDS: Tecfidera

Comment

Me too. Not the sense of smell/taste thing, but was being worked up for migraine headaches. After trying all the usual migraine treatments with only moderate success, my local neuro sent me for an MRI and voila, multiple small lesions and a couple larger ones.
      After all the testing was inconclusive, positive evoked potentials, negative O banding, was sent to USC for second opinion. The neuro at USC thinks the smaller ones are migraine (20 year history) related, but the larger ones are in "classical MS" locations. Apparently she saw enough in the test results, MRI and physical history (extreme fatigue and nerve pain) to give the diagnosis.

I can't specifically recall an actual exacerbation, but the physical neuro workup was not stellar on my part. I was caught very early in the process. No spinal cord lesions. Techinically they are calling it Clinically Isolated Syndrome.
      So yeah, I was diagnosed by accident too.
      Dx CIS 8/20/13. Started Copaxone 8/28/13.

Comment

I lost my sense of taste completely for about six weeks February - April this year. I've also had a bunch of other things going on; am still in limbo because my lesions are too tiny, but my neurologist feels that the loss of taste was probably neurogenic.

The three day period where taste came back was like my mouth throwing a party!!! Just sayin'.

Comment

Mike- hopefully you can still enjoy a cup of coffee "full blast" once in awhile!

Msmethers. - they told me C.I.S at first too!!! I was so excited and thought they made a mistake!! Truth is..I
          knew it was going to be "ms"... I still wonder how long I could have gone before "obvious" ms symptoms would have made be see a doctor...

Aspen- a party for sure!!! Going out for dinner seems like such a waste of money! Lol...every so often I almost feel normal!!!

Comment

Working...
          X