Water arobics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water arobics?

Has anyone tried water arobics? I've done a class twice now and each time I end up feeling beat up and my chest is fluttery.

Any input?
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Dear Marti,
    I do water aerobics and a water workout everyday. It helps every aspect of my living with MS: movement control and strength, spasticity relief, less pain, more energy, and emotional uplift.

Nevertheless, aerobic exercise, in or out of the water, can expose heart trouble. My pool is in a health club run by a hospital and medical center, so the trainers are very heart-health conscious. I had to have a heart test before I started aerobic workouts.

Have you had your heart functions tested by your primary care physician? Has a trainer helped you find the appropriate heart rate (considering your age, weight, goals) for aerobic work? I know the classes can seem like fun, but the exercise is real exercise. I don't think a "fluttery" chest is a sign that should be ignored.

Good luck, and take care.

Stay lifted,
    Mermaid Susan
    "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."

-Henri Amiel

Comment

Originally posted by Mermaid Susan View Post
      Dear Marti,
      I do water aerobics and a water workout everyday. It helps every aspect of my living with MS: movement control and strength, spasticity relief, less pain, more energy, and emotional uplift.

Nevertheless, aerobic exercise, in or out of the water, can expose heart trouble. My pool is in a health club run by a hospital and medical center, so the trainers are very heart-health conscious. I had to have a heart test before I started aerobic workouts.

Have you had your heart functions tested by your primary care physician? Has a trainer helped you find the appropriate heart rate (considering your age, weight, goals) for aerobic work? I know the classes can seem like fun, but the exercise is real exercise. I don't think a "fluttery" chest is a sign that should be ignored.

Good luck, and take care.

Stay lifted,
      Mermaid Susan

Thanks for the great answer. By the time I got home my h/r was up in the 90's. I've had stress testing and echocardiograms and holters. I do get some palpitations at times. Anyway, all my tests are good. I am 63 and it's hot outside which could account for some of this. I took half a propranolol and it seems to be better now. My Physical Therapist and my Pain doc both recommended water aerobics. Maybe I need to make another call to the cardio doc.
      Marti

Comment

I do water aerobics every other day at the 'YMCA'. I think it is the best exercise I can get. Sometimes, I feel pretty beat after the routine. I am careful not to 'overdo' it. Good luck

Comment

Ok I sent a message to my neuro about today's aerobic class. This was her reply. Very good advice. This class was 45 minutes long.

Thank you for sending your e-Visit request. I have reviewed your information. Please review my response that follows.

Most aerobics classes run for about 30 minutes - is that true for yours?. I think this may be too big of a change for you all at once based on your fatigue afterwards. Recommend that you cut back the time you spend in the aerobics class to only 10 minutes for one week, then increase it by 5 minutes each week to slowly build your tolerance and not wipe you out completely for the day. I'm not concerned about the heart rate being 90 while you are up and moving around. I would recommend that you check it after you have been able to sit and relax for at least 10-15 minutes before checking it.

I'm proud of you for taking these first steps here and getting started with the aerobics - hang in there and it will get better!

Jodi

Original Message:

TO: Jodi Flynn MS PAC
          DATE: 9/4/2013 3:17:14 PM
          SUBJECT: water aerobics

Jodi Ive been to the aerobics class twice. Each time I came out feeling like I had been beaten. It does help, but absolutely exhausts me. And by the time I got home my heart rate was in the 90s. Uncomfortable. Is this reasonable for a beginner and someone who is on the weak side? That groin is very painful and I keep thinking these classes will help. But the h/r increase worries me. Could be the heat and the activity of grocery shopping after. I cant carry anything much over 10 pounds. It all wears me out. Please let me know if you think I need to have Dr. Kuehn look into this. Thanks again and again.
          Marti

Comment

Marti, I don't take a water aerobics class, but I do have a pt routine I do in the pool that takes 40 minutes. It doesn't tire me at all, and I find it really helpful. I swim a couple laps when I'm done. It always amazes me what I can do in the pool that I can no longer do on land.

Comment

Working...
            X