exercise helps with side effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exercise helps with side effects

I saw on here that so many take ibuprofen or other like drugs to combat there "flu like symptoms" I started to get hesitant of taking them so often and started to do Yoga and even just walking around the block. It helps immensely. Even just stretching my neck can make a difference. Does anyone else do anything other than take more drugs? I would love to expand my options.
    Don't forget to use the good china for Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches.

You by your post tell me you have much less disability than I do. A walk?? I think I woukd give an arm to do that again!!!

But, I just completed a round of PT that first focused on different stretches...I was BLOWN away on what a immediate difference it made with my spasticity! My right foot drag went away...my walking speed increased dramatically...but it's something you must do everyday.

It didn't change my meds...take less...but i found I could get more errands done in one day!

Enjoy your walks, they used to be my retreat!

Keep well and keep fighting!

Annie
    Disabled RN, Cardiac Intensive Care
    Dx'd 11/03/2005, Sx's for 15+ years prior
    STOPPED DM's 10/15/2010, last one, Tysabri

Don't ask for a better life, ask to be a stronger person!

Comment

Originally posted by haikitay View Post
      I saw on here that so many take ibuprofen or other like drugs to combat there "flu like symptoms" I started to get hesitant of taking them so often and started to do Yoga and even just walking around the block. It helps immensely. Even just stretching my neck can make a difference. Does anyone else do anything other than take more drugs? I would love to expand my options.
      Are you talking about the flu like symptoms from interferon? If so, from my experience, no. Hydration was key for me and interferon. I also made sure I was getting the proper nutrition. I had to take a NSAID with interferon. A lot of people eventually get use to it and can discontinue the NSAID. I was never able to do that.
      Katie
      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
      "My MS is a Journey for One."
      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi haikitay,

I am glad you have found exercise beneficial for whatever side effect you are having.

Exercise, in general, is helpful for some MS symptoms (spasticity, fatigue, mobility, cognitive dysfunction and pain).
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
          Are you talking about the flu like symptoms from interferon?
          Not sure, I take rebif sorry I should have clarified. Even if you can't walk try to just stretch and not necessarily just the area that you did the shot in, stretch your whole body. Who knows it might work for you. KatieAgain the PT would really help good for you.

Comment

Not sure, I take rebif sorry I should have clarified. Even if you can't walk try to just stretch and not necessarily just the area that you did the shot in, stretch your whole body. Who knows it might work for you. KatieAgain the PT would really help good for you.
            I agree with both you and Snoopy. Exercise is extremely important.

I thought about this a little today and in the military I had to get series of Typhoid shots. Oh Boy, they had the flu like symptoms like the interferons...except worse. I found out I could run the symptoms off...we were all literally having workout sessions after shots and it indeed lessened the flu like side effects. So you actually might have something there. Wish I would have thought of it when I was first on interferon.

I am going to be going back to PT. I have always been lucky with PT, but right now I'm in a pretty bad flare...so I have to wait.
            Katie
            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
            "My MS is a Journey for One."
            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Listen to your body, and good luck.

Comment

I can only speak to what I have experienced but, I have found exercise to be vital for me. I have lost about 60 pounds and that coupled with Gilenya, has done wonders for my MS. I rarely have any symptoms any more and, when I do, they're not usually that bad.

Comment

Exercise is my #1 treatment option. Not only do I think it has help with my symptoms but it's empowering and does wonders for my mind. I recently started doing Cross-Fit (yes, I realize I am very fortunate to be able to work out to this degree) and it's amazing how great my legs feel. I do have heavy leg feeling for about 15 minutes following my workout and my cool downs. I'm going to continue to work out like this for as long as I can. For all I know, it could be the thing to keep my MS from progressing much. I also do yoga a few times a week and have desk stretches that I do.

This is all in addition to Copaxone. I also take Vitamin D supplements, magnesium and a multi-vitamin. Oh, and B+ Complex during my TOM.

I'm not sure if it's all concidence but almost a year ago I had sever visual problems, horrible spasticilty, face tremors and complete numbness of the left side of my body. Today I have no symptoms and only a few mild ones when I am over tired, over heated or stressed.

Comment

grudgingly ... yes!

I don't like purposeful exercise, but have to admit it is helpful. I haven't tried yoga yet, but might soon.

I think massage would help also, even for those who can't walk or are limited. Anything that keeps the muscles and joints moving helps.

I have a severe itch on my right foot. It is nerve damage so none of the creams, gels or other magic potions help. When it is intense (once to a few times a day, I walk). I do this inside though if I have an arm to lean on, I walk outside. I have a home through which I can make a circuit; non stop. Great room to kitchen, kitchen to library, through foyer and into great room again. Slow but steady. I even do this at night with my trusty flashlight!

I told my doc it might not be the best or fastest (cardio) but it is something.

I do see an 'Upper Cervical' chiropractor. She's a sweet, kind person and just the good vibes help.

I'm trying to adjust my diet; my downfall is bread! Sweets come next, though I am satisfying that by sucking on Tootsie Roll pops. My doc has organic suckers I might try.

Can't get rid of all my pleasures.

Diane

BTW: I do not live in a castle; nice house, but 'library' is actually what most might use as the dining room :-) We are only two, do don't need the dining room.
                    You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Drink a ton of water

I got this tip from a girl in chat, to drink a lot of water before shot and some after. Drink like you have to pee every 10 minutes lol just kidding, just drink a lot of water, haven't had a flu ache since, and before for 4 years I suffered and this was all I needed to do. Wow! It at least works for me, hope it does for you to if you try it. I stqart drinking about 7-8 take shot at 9 have one more glass and crash at 10. Good luck!
                      RIP Jenna's Beloved Momma
                      Best MS Support System Ever
                      7/42 - 12/12

Comment

Exercise helped me

Drinking a lot of water has only moderately helped with the Rebif side effects (body aches and headaches). I just started Rebif three weeks ago. Yesterday was the day after an injection, and my body aches were even worse than previous days. I forced myself to do my dumbbell routine anyways, and by the time I was done, the aches were much less and remained that way for the remainder of the day.

So, yes, exercise did help lessen the side effects for me.

--Greg
                        RRMS since July 2010.

Comment

Does anyone else do anything other than take more drugs? I would love to expand my options.
                          DIET!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Changing the food I put into my body made a huge improvement for me.

Gluten free, as natural as possible, high protein low fat... it is a pain but it seems to help and it is something I can actively do to take some control over my future health.

If you can talk to a nutritionist that would probably be very helpful.

Diet and exercise have helped me very much. The only side effects so far have been feeling and looking better.

Comment

I like Tai Chi.
                            It allows me to stretch and calms me.

It is easier for me to do than yoga.

Comment

Working...
                            X