Red, dry skin around eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red, dry skin around eyes

Hello. I have MS and I'm having some new symptoms. I have red, dry and sometimes itcy skin on my eyelids and under my eye. Went to dr today and they don't know if it's a reaction to meds or something else. I have not made any changes recently. They did some blood work and gave me a steroid shot. Has anyone else had this problem?
    I'm also losing hair and the roof of my mouth bleeds very easily which may be a whole different thing all together.

Eyes

I've had the eye problem. I don't think it's ms-related for me but could just be some autoimmune thing (I guess)
    I put Vaseline around my eyes every night. If I miss even one night, it comes back. It would get so bad the lid would crack in the crease (it hurt) so I'm glad I found something that works. Good luck!

Comment

I renewed my Contact Lens rx recently. I'm not even sure the one I now wear are extended ware or not, but I've used the extended ware forEVER prior to this new rx.

I'm having lots of problems with the skin around my eyes since the new CL rx, flaking skin on lids, CL don't 'fit' confortably either.

I'm trying to reduce cost of CLs by not buying bi-focal lens which are much more expensive. Using only one CL to correct near sightedness.

Reading eye is the one without the corrected lense, and the correction is so minor I have read without correction for years. DK if this is helpful, but thought I'd contribute.

Take care.

Comment

kryptonite your new symptoms sound miserable. None of them are caused by MS. I'm wondering if maybe your doctors should check you for Sjogren's syndrome?

You didn't say that you have the 2 most common symptoms of dry eyes and dry mouth but Sjogren's can also cause dry skin and hair loss. It might be a long shot but the bleeding mouth along with the other things kind of sounds like Sjogren's could be a possibility. it might not hurt for your PCP to run your new symptoms by a rheumatologist or even refer you to one.

For dry flaky skin I use an ointment made by Eucerin called Aquaphor Healing Ointment. It's basically petroleum jelly with a few other things in it. It was recommended to me by one of my ophthalmologists who is also an oculoplastic surgeon and gives it to his patients after eyelid surgery. The label says not to use in your eyes but it's OK to use on your eyelids and the skin around your eyes. That's what the ophthalmologist/surgeon uses it for so it must be OK. It works for dry skin anywhere.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I don't have the test results yet. I'm not sure if they are testing for Sjogren's, I hope so. They just gave me some prednisone tablets to take if it persists. Think I'll try the Vaseline trick, everything else burns. They are a flaky hot mess right now. Really don't want to be seen but have to go to church tonight.

Comment

Working...
          X