How long should I wait????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long should I wait????

Been on The Tecfidera for almost 5 mos. now. Had a relapse 4 wks ago and put on 3 day course of IV steroid. Was on 2 treatment was I was in auto accident. Completed steroid treatment and started taper of prednisone. On that for a week when all of a sudden could not walk and had horrible eye and head pain. Saw neuro and she suggested I switch to dexamathasone.

Ended up in ER due to adverse reaction from dex. Now, I have been off for 3 days completely and I'm still having walking issues and head and eye pain.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the steroid to rid the body? I just don't know if I'm still in flare and need to contact neuro or if I just need to be patient.

Any suggestions?

I had a health issue that caused me to go to the ER. WShen I was released from the ER, I was told to see my PCP. When I saw my PCP she told me to inform my neurologist. If the neurologist felt I should get in for a consult, he would have told me to get in. I would suggest that you should keep all of your medical team informed of your health issues.

Comment

I cannot answer any questions about steroids as I have never taken them. I would call your neurologist as soon as possible and relay everything that is going on, and also your questions and concerns.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

The worst of the short term steroid side effects are gone within about 2 weeks of the last dose. You've been on a long oral taper tho so it might take you a little longer. (That lengthening of the side effects is one reason a lot of people won't do an oral taper. I haven't done one in years and I like it that way.)

I did mention in a previous post that some people have reported trouble walking and bad headaches from Tecfidera. Have you discussed with your neurologist that it might be the Tecfidera that's causing your symptoms? If not, why not? Why are you letting yourself suffer?

Some people get headaches from steroids but you had the headaches before you started the steroids. And steroids can cause stiff painful joints but you were already having trouble walking before you started the steroids. And since the steroids didn't help to make those any better it's possible that your symptoms might not be from a flare and might be instead from Tecfidera side effects.

How familiar is your neuro with Tecfidera? And what did your neuro say about your headaches and walking trouble maybe being caused by Tecfidera?

I think you should contact your neuro NOW. The steroids didn't help so it sounds like it's time for your neuro to take another look at your symptoms. I've had many flares and many rounds of IV steroids and your symptoms don't sound like trouble with the steroids. I think your symptoms sound more like they might be a problem with Tecfidera and your neuro should know right away. Your doctor might even need to have you stop Tecfidera to see if that's the problem so you shouldn't wait any longer. The sooner you call the better.

Comment

Thanks for advice.

Mser102, I did mentioned to neuro in the beginning that I thought the Tec was the cause.
          Her exact words were.."No it's not Tec, you're in a flare".

I'm beginning to think the same thing as you.
          Going to call. Tks

Comment

Working...
          X