Is PT the answer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is PT the answer?

I know I have read about difficulty with spasticity after stair climbing,however I can't find it. maybe others have my experience. Among some of my symptoms is the extreme tightness my calves get after just going up stairs from the basement to the 2nd floor.
    Well, in an hour I will begin PT and will ask if ,in their opinion, this symptom is treatable through exercise.Do I need to strengthen my legs, or is this the result of demyelination?
    Anyone out there have any experience or thoughts on this? Thank you.

GiGi

Stretching helps spasticity. A lot of folks use anti spasticity meds as well.

Spasticity happens when the signal gets through to contract, but not to relax. Thus your muscle tone is increased.

Spasticity can make your calves look like you're a gym rat, without ever setting foot inside a gym

I used meds, and stretching...eventually graduated to a pump, but I still stretch as well.

It's just that stretching is a temporary fix, it works, but the results aren't permanent, it's something that has to be done on a regular basis.

Hope you get some relief.

Comment

Rdmc

Thanks for the reply, and the explanation of how spasticity operates...I did not know that.
      Well, I just returned from the PT and wow am I sore.He massaged my calves, stretched them, and did some strengthening exercises. We are going to do a wait and see approach to ascertain if the PT is making an impact.
      I sure hope so.

GiGi

Comment

I did a couple months of PT at the beginning of the year and my walking greatly improved.
        I did notice the night tightness and bouncing got worse before it got better, I think it was the muscles getting used to actually working.

Good luck and stick with it!
        1995-symptoms with no cause
        2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
        2000/1-started Avonex
        2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
        Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

Working...
        X