Loss of Taste

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss of Taste

I had what I think was my first relapse a few months ago. I was diagnosed with relapsing remitting MS in January 2012 when I had double vision.

This summer I got a really bad cold. While I was sick I again developed double vision and I lost my sense of taste on the left half of my tongue. At first I thought I was tasting something weird but then I started to think that my brain was trying to fill in the missing taste.

This lasted about two weeks after my cold went away. I did not have any other impairment, I didn't slur my words or loose any smell. I asked my neurologist about it and he just kind of shrugged and told me to check in if things did not go away. Both my taste and vision came back after about a month total.

I wanted to see if anyone else has had similar symptoms. For me it was harder to deal with then the double vision because I did not want to eat anything. I know I am incredibly lucky to have such mild symptoms, but I am constantly trying to read the tea leaves as I move through the first few years of this.

Originally posted by Selsia View Post
    I had what I think was my first relapse a few months ago. I was diagnosed with relapsing remitting MS in January 2012 when I had double vision.

This summer I got a really bad cold. While I was sick I again developed double vision and I lost my sense of taste on the left half of my tongue. At first I thought I was tasting something weird but then I started to think that my brain was trying to fill in the missing taste.

This lasted about two weeks after my cold went away. I did not have any other impairment, I didn't slur my words or loose any smell. I asked my neurologist about it and he just kind of shrugged and told me to check in if things did not go away. Both my taste and vision came back after about a month total.

I wanted to see if anyone else has had similar symptoms. For me it was harder to deal with then the double vision because I did not want to eat anything. I know I am incredibly lucky to have such mild symptoms, but I am constantly trying to read the tea leaves as I move through the first few years of this.
    Hi,

I've had loss of taste on one side of my tongue for quite awhile now. I have issues with that side of my face and tongue, and it's due to a lesion affecting the lower cranial nerves.

There are older threads where it seems to be "not unusual" for folks to get numb tongues, loss of taste, etc...and in most cases it's a come and go type of thing. Here are links to a couple of older threads about loss of taste:

https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...ighlight=taste

https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...ighlight=taste

The taste issue would sometimes manifest itself as everything was tasting sweet, or everything would taste salty, or metallic. Weird. Now, even though one half of my tongue has no taste (if I were to just put food on that side I wouldn't taste it)...good news is, we have lots of taste buds in all areas of our mouth/tongue and they take up the slack for the ones that aren't working right. So as far as I can tell, I'm getting accurate taste.

As far as the not eating, that happens to me in a flare, but you just have to force yourself to eat. And when the flare passes so does the lack of appetite, at least that's how it worked for me.

Glad you're back to "normal."

Comment

I lost my taste during a relapse in the summer of 2011. My face and tongue became numb. I didn't have taste at all for months. My face is still numb but my taste comes and goes. There are times when I lose my appetite but like RDMC said, I force myself to eat. I have to be very careful with very hot foods and beverages.

Take good care!
      "Irrespective of what happened yesterday or last year, and what may or may not happen tomorrow, the present moment is where you are-always!"
      Richard Carlson, PH.D.

Comment

Working...
      X