Fear of a wheelchair ...then I was in one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fear of a wheelchair ...then I was in one

The day after I was dx'd with MS in 1993 my first words to a friend were "I don't want to be in a wheelchair." When it finally happened many years later due to a simple and unrelated accident, I was so overwhelmed by all my feeling after just thinking about it (and, i admit, being petrified at the thought) for so many years that I came home and wrote a "stream of consciousness" to describe my experience. Well, it was an eye-opener!!! Many people who have read it thought it might help others but I never did anything about sharing it publicly until now. So it is a few paragraphs long and the question is: how and where do I go to do that? I would email it - not sounding very modest now - but I'd rather just put it somewhere and hope it helps. Any ideas?

I'd love to read it!

Maybe just in the introduce yourself forum?

Comment

There is a Creative Center on the site. If you submit it, I'd love to read it as well!
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Hi Cher~ I think we can all benefit from hearing your voice, whether we're in a wheelchair full time or part time or will be in the future. Why not submit it here AND in the creative center? That way it will be broadcast out to more

Can't wait to read it!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Re posting my wheelchair essay

Thank you for responding so quickly. Since I am brand new here I haven't come across the Creative room. I'll look for it but if you can save me some time, Can someone pls tell me how to find it? I have to retype it
          So give me a couple of days. And thanks for the little shove to have me share it. Cher

Comment

Cher - if you look to the top of this page, underneath the MSWorld logo, you will see a gray bar running across the page. From the left is Home, Who we are, Donate, Creative Center, etc. Click on Creative Center!

Hope this helps

Comment

If you look at the top of this page, you'll see the logo for MS World ("Patients Helping Patients"), to the right you'll see chat rooms/message boards, under that is another bar with these categories: Home, Who We Are, Donate, Creative Center, Conference Center, resources, Events ...

Click on Creative Center!

Hope this helps
              Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Seasha,

LOL ... Great minds think alike

Cher,

Will you let us know once you've submitted your story so we know when to look for it? I'm anxiously waiting to read it
                Kimba

Comment

Kimba - lol! I thought I was reading my same post over again! Am anxious to read your essay too, Cher

Comment

My biggest fear.....

I was Dx about 18 months ago and have full use of my legs so far. Just a little weak and wobbly at this point.

Losing my legs and being in a wheel chair is my greatest fear! It petrifies me. I think it has something to do with taking care of my wheel chair bound parents for the last few years.

Please, please leave your essay in the creative center for others to read.
                    Dx 3/4/12. Tec X 2 as of 7/7/13
                    Weebles wobble and occasionally they DO fall down!

Comment

Wheelchair bound article in creative

Thanks for y'all telling me how to post in creative. My article contained an incident which involved another person and although she and I were giggling about what happened at the time, the moderator here thought it violated a provision of not making someone else look, i guess for lack of a better word, foolish. Though i strongly disagree - I think her interpretation was stretching a fine point - but she wouldn't print it even though the woman unidentified would not have minded, i'm sure. anyway, that is the rule and I asked if I could resubmit it without that part but she didn't respond. Later today or tomorrow I will just go ahead and resubmit it with the omission/change and hopefully it will go through. If it doesn't I'll try to find another site or maybe someone put there knows of one. Here's an email address for me. If you want to respond with yours I would be honored to send it.

**Email address removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

**Moderators note: I am sure your submission will be approved the second time**

Comment

Essay finally made it into Creative.

I lost track of my original thread but my essay is called Wheelchair Bound for anyone who wants to read it. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Cher I just read your essay and loved it! I think it's interesting and also funny. Thank you for sharing it

Comment

Wheelchair bound

Thank you, Nela!

Comment

My current job requires me to stand all day for sales. I was a bit scared when I accepted the job because of MS. Now my legs are weaker and walking across a room can be questionable.

I had to submit a form for the use of a chair at work. I was the most vain person when it came to my mobility. I am still, I have a cane but I rarely take it out unless I am really hurting. Now my employer knows about my MS and that it is a permanent condition. I am also applying for a disability placard for my car. I will be allowed to sit down at my workstation when needed.

Our society puts labels on those who use assistive devices. I hope we will get past that someday collectively because there are many who might need a wheelchair or cane or walker but who are also productive in an organization. And for those who are retired or on disability, we should have full respect even when using an assistive device.
                              Take care, Wiz
                              RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Working...
                              X