Primrose Oil??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primrose Oil??

I have had MS for almost 3 years, my main symptoms are migraines and fatigue when I am stressed or over do it. The majority of the time I am ok, I have learned how to avoid over doing it and decreasing my stress level. But I keep seeing things saying to try primrose oil for MS.

Has anyone tried or is currently taking Primrose oil supplements? If so, why do you take it? What did it help with? Will it help with my fatigue?

Any info is helpful.. Thanks..

Evening primrose oil is supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties so it has been used for all kinds of inflammatory and auto-immune conditions. It was popular for MS about 15 to 20 years ago. That was back before there were any medications for MS so I think people took whatever supplements they could take just in case they helped.

I took it for a while right after my diagnosis. I can't say that it did anything special for me so I stopped taking it years ago. The same for OPC's (oligomeric proanthocyanidins) and pine bark extract. You can look those up. I don't think there's anything particularly special about them. I think people take them for what they might help in theory rather than what they actually do help.

It and OPC's, pine bark extract and borage oil don't seem to be as popular for MS anymore. I'm guessing that it's because there are now many medications for MS that have proven effectiveness.

It might help with your fatigue, it might not. I don't remember reading anything that said it was especially good for fatigue. My fatigue got much better when I got my vitamin D level up over 60 ng/ml. If your level isn't up there I think you may do better to get your vitamin D level up there before you try evening primrose oil or one of the other similar supplements. Vitamin D is already known to be beneficial in many ways.

Some people say that acetyl L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid help their fatigue. And of course there are the prescription medicines for fatigue, too. Maybe all better than evening primrose oil for fatigue.

Comment

I'm actually on the Alpha Lipoic acid and Acetyl l Carnitine, have been on that for fatigue for over a year. It's worked the best for me. I tried all those script meds but nothing helped. Thanks for the information on the primrose oil. Haven't had my vit D checked in awhile. I will do that. Thanks for your help

Comment

Hi ttmont416,

I used EPO for several years, went off of it for a couple of years and then tried it again. I never felt or saw any differences on or off of it.

I started using EPO to try and help with perimenopause symptoms, not for MS. Regardless, MS or perimenopause, I didn't see any difference.

Information on EPO:
        http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...ural/1006.html
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I have never heard of primrose oil for fatigue.

I take ALA and ALC as msr102 examined in the previous post @ 1000 mg ea per day. I know they work for me for fatigue.
          Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Working...
          X