Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Red Cell Count in CSF means what?

Dear Wise, Experienced Club Members,

I am in the Testing Stage of things. I picked up my spinal tap results today from the lab. All is within range except for Red Cell Count which is 1 when it's supposed to be 0.
    If it helps make sense, the Nucleaded Cell Count is 3, which is within range. My fluid was clear - nothing funky about it.
    Protein was at the top of the range, 45 (15-45)
    Oligo Bands were fine at 911 (768-1632)

Do you all think this means I am not in the club? I know that some small % just don't show in the CSF, right?

Already had an MRI w/o contrast, and lots of white lesions in my white matter - odd since i am only 47...looks like an old person brain to my untrained eye.

Had nerve conduction tests today up the tibular nerve and it took a long while for her to get a twitch out of me.

Looked at my optic nerve as well, but they wouldn't say anything.

MRI with contrast of head and neck is next to rule out active disease process or a bleed, doctor says.

What wise words would you all have for me?

Thanks in advance for your time and sharing.

shakenandstirred: you may have had a somewhat traumatic tap and that is why your RBC number is high, but not really not that high. It could just mean some blood got into the sample. Your OCB number should be from 0-through. I am not sure what number you are reading. 0 O-bands is still possible to have MS. You are still collecting information. Your neurologist will see what else he comes up with. Your protein is normal.

Good luck.

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

OOPS!

Thanks for your reply. It is the IgG serum that I saw was 911 with a ref. range for 768 - 1632. Above that descriptor it says Oligo Bands CSF - my bad.

If there wasn't blood in my tubes of CSF - if they were clear, colorless, could it still be a traumatic puncture to cause the red blood cells?

The bottom of the labwork says 5% who have clinically definitive MS will have a negative result. Do doctors consider MS very much if it doesn' show in your CSF? Enquiring Minds want to know....

Comment

Well, you only had a 1 on your RBC, so that is not an astounding number, it will not discolor your CSF. The blood could have gotten in there upon pricking you. Its like when you have blood in your urine but you can't see it. A small amount can still show up on testing. No big deal.

As far as a negative tap goes, doctors do take that seriously in diagnosing MS if your other testing comes back as pointing towards MS. Not everyone has 0-bands as you pointed out. You may get them at some point, or you may not if you are diagnosed. It all depends on what the other testing shows.

Good luck.

Lisa
        Moderation Team
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

Working...
        X