Relapses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relapses

Can anyone describe your relapses? I'm never sure if I'm in the middle of one or if I'm just.. sick.

Do you have a lot of odd symptoms all at once? More than usual? Different kinds of things?

So far I haven't ever called the neuro when I think I'm relapsing. I just tough it out. But lately everything hurts, burns, tires me out etc.

So I'd just like to compare notes with those who have had definite relapses. Thanks
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

A relapse for me (because this is what my doc requires for a relapse) includes weakness of some kind. I really don't count parasthesias, although it may start that way, I only call when I get weakness of a limb or my face, trouble swallowing, or the like. This will result in the need for IVSM. If I don't want IVSM, I will just try to stick it out. However, with new weakness, I always try to call since it may mean a new lesion has formed, and I need an MRI especially since I am on Tysabri.

This is my relapse experience. Everyone is different.

Take care
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

I know I need steriods when...

For me a relaspe is a new or worsening symptom that lasts for at least three days. So far I haven't had a new symptom that was so bad I had to go in right away, thank god. I wait three days because sometimes it's hard to tell right of the bat. Yesterday, for example, was a bad day for me. When I woke up this morning I was feeling better (relatively speaking of course). So I don't think it was a flare, just probably a psuedo brought on by the heat and humidity.

The last time I had a flare, I was extremely fatiqued for about 3 days. Then my walking was bad for three days in addition to the tiredness. I went and got some steriods and was back to normal in no time flat.
      You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

Wondering the same thing?

Martin- I have been wondering the samething. It seems like some have them frequently and some have only had one or two.

I have been diagnosed with MS for 6 months after an unmistakable flare that lasted almost a month and I am still not 100% recovered from. I have been on rebif for 5 months but often wonder if its working.

I haven't had anything like the original flare but I have had a few occasions where it seemed like maybe a flare because it lasted at least a week but they were always associated with either a UTI or lack of sleep. It's so confusing to me because both lack of sleep and UTI's can cause a psyuedo flare or an actual flare. How do I really know which it is? I guess when I get my next MRI I will have a better idea.

Comment

Oops

Sorry Marti, autocorrect added the N.

Comment

I have been diagnosed for 9 months and I get confused too. If I think it's a flare, I get scared that the Aubagio isn't working. If I feel bad for many days at a time I am scared that I have advanced to progressive. I have bad days now and worse days but I am trying to convince myself that it is just the heat. (It is in the 90's everyday where I live).

I haven't been bad enough to call the doc yet so I think it is just a matter of not knowing how not to be scared. I hope to get over it in time.

Comment

Here's a link that explains an exacerbation and pseudo exacerbation:
              http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ons/index.aspx I hope this helps!

A notable change of weakness in my limbs has always prompted me to call my neuro. A few times I've needed to contact him because of dizziness, double-vision, or swallowing problems. If I have a fever or the external temp. above 85 F, I will have a pseudo flare.

I need to stay more aware of changes because I'm also on Tysabri. I've learned there's not much that can be done for a lot of symptoms, anyway, so just ride them out and hope they just aren't part of my new 'normal'.

Good luck to all of you!
              Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
              X