Need Advice!!!! I hope I am doing the right thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Advice!!!! I hope I am doing the right thing

I have RRMS and by lookign at me you cant tell but I do get some bouts of ON but my biggest thing is the fatigue. I told me boss after 6 months of working where I am at and since then and even before then he is a total nut job he badgers all of us and never has anything nice to say. The only good is we all can come and go as we please.

Well after he yelled at me over 20.00 that was his error and left me in tears I got the nerve to look for another job. I went on the interview its with a bigger firm and the benefits are really good. I don't plan on disclosing that I have MS. Lat week they offered me the job and that is all well.

I feel like the way I have been treated in the office of 8 where I am at now my boss doesn't deserve the dog poop of a shoe. I know if I gave notice things would have gotten even worse and I need the money.

I woke up today feeling guilty and am having second thoughts about taking this job. I know it would be better. What would you guys do and why do I feel like MS makes people feel more guilty? I have to decide what to do today so I can either go back to the crap hole tomorrow or just quit and move on to better things.. Sorry to rant it has just been a long few months.

You need to do what is best for you. Stress is a big trigger for MS. Your current job seems to be full of stress. Since you said the new one had better benefits it seems like that would be a better fit for you. Be sure that the insurance is the same so you don't get caught with a preexisting condition. That white lie seems to be a hard one, and will be even harder to back up if you get caught. If you do not though, the new job seems to be better.

You have to weigh the benefits versus the risks. Make a lists of pros and cons, which ever is longer, do that one.

Good luck
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Pre-existing

I thought the ACA took care of pre-existing problems with health insurance.

Comment

Your work place sounds very stressful and that is the last thing you need! Only worry about yourself and do what's best for your health!! Best of luck!
        dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

I believe the pre-existing condition exclusion for group health insurance is limited to one year.

During the one year the exclusion for pre-existing condition/s applies, you are covered for health care that is not pre-existing.

After the one year limit for pre-existing condition/s has been met, I believe all medical care is covered regardless of pre-ex status.

It's a good idea to know what the pre-existing condition exclusions are for other coverage such as Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, number of sick leave days, FMLA, etc.

Comment

Pre Existing

I read that as long has you have had continuous group coverage and you dont lapse more than 63 days then they have to cover you as long as you show proof that you did have coverage.. My new insurance would kick in on Sept 1st so I should be ok. I don't feel you should disclose any medical condition to a new employer especially if they can not tell by looking at someone.

Comment

I agree with you - I am in favor of non-disclosure, so I would not say anything in a new job about my pre-existing health conditions, though I would read the fine print on the new and old policy descriptions to be sure of the details of continuous coverage and pre-ex.

Until ACA is fully implemented there may be some state regulations that vary depending on the size of the group and how long you need to be employed before your new coverage takes effect.

You may want or need to look into COBRA coverage to fill in any gaps.

Comment

Originally posted by michele1205 View Post
                I have to decide what to do today so I can either go back to the crap hole tomorrow or just quit and move on to better things.
                I think you answered your own question! In this case, I think "the devil you know" is unhealthier than "the devil you don't". You may not get another job offer in the near future and you could be stuck with your jerk of a boss.

I don't live in the US so I'm unfamiliar with your benefits but if they are better where you are now, that would be my main consideration in moving jobs. MS is an expensive disease.

Please let us know what you decide. Good luck!

Jen
                RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I have faced your situation

It sounds like you're going to a better place but you're nervous because it's new territory. No one should work for a bully. I put up with one for a year, crying at home and berating myself because I knew I'd get fired if I stood up to him. That was a wasted year. I found a much better job and--oh hey--my self esteem, too! Let us know how the new job goes! (oh, and if someone asks about my cane, I blame arthritis, which is accurate but not completely so).

Comment

If you're sure you've got the other job, then take it. I know having MS makes it a huge decision to quit, and the whole do I tell, don't I tell disclosure thing makes it so much harder, but, you've got to think about what's best for you.
                    Don't feel bad about leaving. He's lucky you stayed this long.

Comment

You do need to be careful about quitting a job without giving two weeks notice. It looks very poor in your work history to new prospective employers if they know you left one with no notice before.

Comment

Originally posted by kidkaos2 View Post
                        You do need to be careful about quitting a job without giving two weeks notice. It looks very poor in your work history to new prospective employers if they know you left one with no notice before.
                        I think this is good advice. I make it a point never to burn bridges and if I'm not happy at a job I make other plans before it becomes unbearable.
                        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                        Anonymous

Comment

Update?

Good Lord, I can't believe whatI just read.

Current boss demeans you and co-workers, yells at you all, blames you for his mistakes, and makes you miserable.

New job offer= non-yelling jerk boss and better benefits.

What's the dilemna? Does not compute.

Comment

Working...
                          X