Acomplishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acomplishments

Hi, Could some of you tell us what you have acomplished since you were diagnosed with the MonSter. I have a young person that thinks their life will be over and useless and I am SP and in very bad shape both physically and financially so I am a very bad example. Thanks. PEACE
    Tortis

Tortis, I doubt you are a bad example as far as life accomplishments go.

I was married young, had children (2) young, and went to nursing school. My husband went to medical school. He is now a surgeon. I later got my Phd. in nursing, but it took me a while, I already had MS at that point. I kept working as long as I could. I worked in many aspects of the hospital and clinics. I ended up being a supervisor in the Pediatric ICU. When I stopped, I knew it was time. I was right. I still keep up with the gossip through my husband.

MS is so variable, especially RRMS, it can let you do a million things, and keep you from a million others. You just have to roll with the punches and try to not get too caught up with the expectations of yourself and others. Remind yourself that you can do whatever you want to do, and you probably can. Just be kind to yourself in the midst of it. Give yourself time.
    Don't beat yourself up over what you cannot do at the time.

Best of luck. You will get through this feeling.

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
      Tortis, I doubt you are a bad example as far as life accomplishments go.

MS is so variable, especially RRMS, it can let you do a million things, and keep you from a million others. You just have to roll with the punches and try to not get too caught up with the expectations of yourself and others. Remind yourself that you can do whatever you want to do, and you probably can. Just be kind to yourself in the midst of it. Give yourself time. Don't beat yourself up over what you cannot do at the time.
      I agree wholeheartedly and couldn't have said it better!

My MS story began over 24 years ago. Since then I've raised and help/raised 5 children through college, helped build a house, climbed many mountain trails, worked full time, kayaked, and have gardened all my life (and still do!) These are some of the things I worried about not being able to do when I first had sx, but I did.

Tortis - why not invite your young friend to MSW? We have a chat time just special for them! http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=125131

I'm sure you'll hear lots from others and thank you for taking interest in your friend!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I've had RRMS since I was 24 years old and in grad school, which was 38 years ago; I was devastated about this awful "crippler of young adults." Since then, I finished school, married, and we raised 3 kids who have all graduated college and have good jobs in their fields.

I'm still married to the same husband (he is a wonderful man, and an RN, which is helpful!), and I still work full-time in my profession, though I have moderated my role over the years so it is less physically demanding.

I have had problems with fatigue, but those have responded well to Provigil, which enables me to continue work full time. I have bladder "issues," which also respond well to medication. For the most part, I am one of those who "look so good" and no one can tell I have MS except me, my husband and my doctors.

I have been very fortunate in that my MS has not imposed many limits on my life; I don't tolerate heat so I don't take beach vacations or hang out outside when it is hot. My right leg is a little weak so I do not walk very far (and a lot of other 62 years olds who do not have MS also can't walk far because of bad knees or whatever). Overall, my life has continued "normal."

No one can predict the future with MS. Now there are MS treatments available and I think going forward we will see a cure. Please tell your young friend that it is quite possible to live a life of achievement despite MS.

Comment

I have had MS for 13 years and while it has affected me the most the last 4 years I am still able to pass as 'normal' and do a lot of the things I like. Last year my wife and I hiked 7 miles in Bryce Canyon with our hiking poles and I still go bike riding almost daily for 5 miles. Our kids were 7when I diagnosed and I still work in the office for an architectural firm. Sometimes I have 'off' days as I call them where mowing the lawn could be a challenge or I find help. I still plan things for the future like I always have.

Comment

I was DX'd 10.5 years ago and since then I've gone to graduate school, traveled lots, moved country 3 times, gotten married and had two kids.

Over the next decade I plan to get a PhD and get at least one book published.

Aim high, that's my motto!
            Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

It's impossible to know how this disease is going to affect a person's life. When I was diagnosed 8 years ago I was fresh out of college with my bachelor's degree. Although it's taken me a little longer than others in my program I will be receiving my doctorate this winter (YAY!!). This has been no small task, especially considering the MS, but persistence usually pays off!

I also have two beautiful children who are 4 years old and 15 months. It hasn't been easy, but it's not impossible either. I deal with fatigue daily, a left hand that tingles constantly, slight foot drop with my left foot, and spasticity on my left side when I get too tired. When I was diagnosed I felt as if I had two choices. I could roll over and figuratively die or I could try to achieve my goals and see where life took me.

It was my decision as to whether my life was going to be pointless or not; I choose to not give up. The best thing you can do is surround yourself with good people who will be there to help and support you when things are tough.
              Lori
              Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

Wow I am totally impressed with the stories, thanks for sharing!

After I was diagnosed I went back to college so I could secure a more MS friendly career. I ended up getting my MS, please note the irony isn't lost on me. I have a career that I love and make three times my former income.

The great news, so far, is that for the most part almost 9 years later I'm another one who no one would guess has anything wrong. I work a lot of hours in order to save money for my unpredictable future and am fit enough to work out several times a week. I have run three 5k races in the past two years. Like the others have said I I'm not symptom or progression free and do have a few issues like mild fatigue, some bowel/bladder stuff and plenty of paresthesia.

My plan is to keep moving forward and bank as much money as possible for if/when this disease does get worse. I hope we are all fortunate enough to keep meeting new goals.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

I have done a lot, but please note, I went into permanent retirement at age 46 and not real perky anymore.

- I have been to approximately 40 countries

- Seen 49 of the 50 states

- I have met four Presidents, one Vice President and numerous Distinguished Visitors and served as an Aide to a US Ambassador

- I have 9 years of College

- I spent most of my 20s and 30s living overseas, 15 moves total

- I inherited two children from my sister who passed young and have had a hand in raising an additional four

- I was married

- I spent 24 years in the military and got a retirement out of it with MS, at a time when MS was an automatic disqualifier.

- Avid runner and hiker

But at the age of 50, I am beat. I am broken and I am tired of trying to keep this disease at bay. My goals have been met, and my final goal is to never see the age of 60.

So, this is what I would say to your young friend. If you have RRMS, life is uncertain. You have absolutely no idea what the course of your disease holds for you, so why worry about it? So set goals, and start making them happen now. Don't wait for anyone or anything, just get out there and do it.
                  Katie
                  "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                  "My MS is a Journey for One."
                  Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

after my diagnosis (12 yrs ago), I worked full-time for 10 years before I retired. I am PPMS and in a wheelchair full-time. I still do some gardening, I still hunt a lot. I get into all kinds of trouble , I just had to make adaptions so I could still do what I wanted to. I even shovel snow while sitting in my wheelchair.
                    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                    volunteer
                    MS World
                    hunterd@msworld.org
                    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Thank you all!!!

Hi everyone, I just wanted to thank you all for the many responses,your M.S. stands for Multiple Saints. She is seeing the neurologist on wed. morning and I think I will save these for later wed. and also some more might come in before Wed. Hopefully the news will be good but we all know it can take a long time. I just hope and pray that its just something easily treatable.
                      PEACE
                      Tortis

Comment

Life is good

I was diagnosed in 1992, with the opening gambit of optic neuritis, horrible vertigo and tingling fingers. Started betaseron for 2 years, welts in all injection sites, some new symptoms, but still able to prevail athletically running in the Hood to Coast relay, for 7 years until unable to run any more.

Then Avonex for 10 years with intermittent full solumedrol pulses, ugh. Took to riding in the MS 150 bike tours for 8 years until balance problems caused several crashes. MRI started showing new lesions in cervical spine, so shifted to Tysabri for 4 years (PML sword of Damocles hanging over head at all times) and now on day 2 of Tecfidera.

No problems yet, yay! So, I'm 55 and although can't do as much as I used to, feel that as an RRMS person I'm very fortunate to have so many drug options. I also stay in shape with yoga (strength, balance and flexibility!) and walking. Also drink LOTS of water. I am a big fundraiser in the state of Oregon, now doing the walks, and hope for breakthroughs for the CPMS people. Reassure your young friend that life is good, look for the things that can be done, not those that cannot.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

re Acomplishments

Hi everyone, She saw the neurologist yesterday and as expected he ordered a M.R.I. so now we wait again til we know more. I will keep adding updates as I get them. I did not show her your letters just yet because right now i think they would do more harm than good, until we learn more. Once again, thanks!
                          PEACE
                          Tortis

Comment

Encouraging!

I was dxd 10 years ago but have had MS for much longer. I can honestly say that I do everything I have ever wanted to do when I was healthier--just a little more slowly. I realized early on that MS doesn't set my limits--I'm the only one that can. However, I do have to be wise. Her biggest challenges might be (1) fear and (2) patience!

When I was diagnosed, I was worried but the chat groups helped a LOT.

Comment

re Acomplishments

Hi everyone, Well the M.R.I. came back with nothing found. She thinks thats a bad thing while I think it is a great! thing as we all know something fixable would be the best. Her trials are just starting I am afraid. Thanks again for all your responses. I will let you all know if we find out any more.
                              PEACE
                              Tortis

Comment

Working...
                              X