What do you all think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you all think?

Epstein-Barr virus might cause multiple sclerosis, study confirms.

If you go on the web and search "is Multiple Sclerosis caused by a virus?" More and more studies are starting to come up with that conclusion.

All I know is that I did have mono when I was 23. They say, from the studies I have read, that epstein-barr causes mono.The only way I knew that I had mono is because my job would not pay me unless I went to the Doctor. I thought I had the flew, but the Doctor confirmed I had mono.

Anyway, I am just curious if the rest of you are thinking this way. I know I am.

This has been tossed around the boards before. Here is a link to what others have said in the past. http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...highlight=mono
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

The Epstein-Barr theory has actually been around for a long time. The virus theory has been around for a long time too - since the technology was available to understand what viruses do. Viruses are such sneaky little buggers that they could be responsible for a lot of things that go whacky in the immune system.

I tested positive for EB antibodies so we know I was exposed to the virus. But since I wasn't tested before my MS diagnosis we have no idea when that happened. I never had mono. My neurological symptoms started after I had a cold but the EB virus could have been involved at the time too. Based on what's known about EB, it's a major suspect for what the environmental trigger was for my MS.

Comment

Thank you, Seasha

Comment

Never had mono but I did have strep throat when I was 16 or 17. Btw, diagnosed with MS in 1989 age 29.
          Karen

Comment

Working...
          X