YIKES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YIKES

I will follow up by posting some useful things I learned from this, but here is what occurred: Last Friday, I, suddenly, could not say more that one word at a time. It did not make sense either. My S.O. took me to ER, where this "ability to say one word only" continued. They performed a CT and it showed no stroke. I was then admitted to the hospitals Neuro Unit. It became SCAREY from there.

Every time I awoke, I did not know where I was, why I was there or what day/time of year it was. I USUALLY do not get frightened but THIS really scared me.

Fortunately I had my watch (I ALWAYS wear a watch) and had a TV I could turn on, to see what day it was. I also had a window so that helped with "time of day". Sheesh, I felt like I was "Jason Bourne" (insert laugh here).

EVENTUALLY, I was given a small notebook. I used that notebook to keep my sanity, by making the notebook "MY PERSONAL" Chart. I kept writing in it, so I could look up what was happening. I DO suggest this for anyone going into the hospital, as it helps you "keep up" with what is happening.
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

How terrifying, I'm so sorry this happened!! Thanks for sharing. What treatment did you getting the hospital, if any? How long did it take to go back to normal?
    Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

OMG my dear.. hugs!!!! Glad you got to hospital right away. Next time make sure you take aspirin right away ..just in case ok?

What did they think it was? MS related? TIA?

I have a history of such episodes where I am suddenly weak, then eventually stutter, then cannot comprehend then look unresponsive. Told it was TIAs.

First MS doc says no its not TIAs. Now my new MS neuro is taking a look at everything. I do have a rare kidney disease and these episodes can end up with paralysis, but not always.

When I come out of it, my speech and comprehension is
      S L O W..very slow hard to speak. I wonder if its inflammaion acutely felt on the speech areas of brain..

Didn't they do an MRI?

Hugs again, my dear sweet sista!!

Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Wow, so sorry you went through that. Sounds terrifying.

Did you get a dx or explanation attributed to your sx's?

Sounds beyond scarey. Hope you're feeling better and on the road to a speedy recovery. Keep us posted.

Comment

Thank you ALL for your kindness.

I was put on high dose, IV, steroids while in hospital. I was sent home with ORAL roids.

The CT scan ruled out a stroke. An MRI showed I had MANY areas of inflammation. I am not really sure what the heck happened, but am glad I am home.

My current issue is this: What now? I don't know what to do. I feel like I am "stuck", in an ending of a bad dream.

Comment

"YIKES" is right, fishead!

I'm sorry you had that scary experience. I'm glad you found something that helped you cope, and I hope you don't find yourself in that situation again. [fingers crossed] I hope you'll get through to the other side of the "ending of a bad dream" feeling soon!

I've had some sorta telegraphic speech, where I have to eliminate unnecessary words like, well, anything other than nouns or verbs. I've also had many "Porky Pig" times when I'm having trouble.

I've just now dubbed as "Porky Pig" times those times when I get stuck on trying to say a word, so if I can't get it out in 3–5 seconds, I try to find a close enough word I can say. I know what the word I want to say is, but I just can't get beyond the first motion of my mouth.

Last night, the word was "passionate" when I was trying to say something like "I feel passionate about…" I could only manage "I feel puh-, puh-, puh-…"; then I decided to settle for "strongly".

I appreciate you sharing about the notebook. I have recently been taking a little spiral-bound flip notebook around with me, because I've been forgetting way too much.

I try to write things down right away that I want to remember, like things I have to do, and it does help. Otherwise, a couple of hours later I'll just be sitting around with an uncomfortable feeling that I have something to get done, I just can't think of what. I'm pretty sure there are times that I don't even realize I've forgotten anything. Of course, I have to think to look at the notebook, but at least it's available!

For even longer, I've been using the "Notes" section on my cell phone for my shopping list(s). That way, I'm sure to have the list with me when I'm shopping. I am fairly diligent about typing a grocery item in at home as soon as I realize I'll want it on the next trip. I forgot too many things and got frustrated too many times (after getting home from the store and not having what I want) to continue putting off entering things until later.

As useful as the cell phone grocery list is, it's definitely not foolproof when my brain's being foolish.

I had dried cranberries on the list (fruit-juice-sweetened, not with cane sugar! ). Today I went to the area in my hippie/health-food store where I knew they would be, and I saw two different packages of dried raspberries.

I picked up the packages of raspberries to compare them and see which one I should get. My spouse came round the corner and said "You wanted to get cranberries, and they're over here."

I felt so stupid. I'm so grateful for my significant other…

Comment

Well wishes

My friends son has had MS for 7 years and he had a similar incident 4 years ago. He was also given a steroid IV for 3 days in the hospital. It has not happened again, so I hope you don't have to go through that ever again. Sounds very scary! Best wishes to you :-)

Comment

Now that would have scared the bejeebies out of me. I hope you are doing better on the steroids and thanks for sharing your story.
                Katie
                "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                "My MS is a Journey for One."
                Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
                  Now that would have scared the bejeebies out of me. I hope you are doing better on the steroids and thanks for sharing your story.
                  KatieAgain,

You are very welcome. HEY, we have to help each other and THAT is what I wanted to do with this post.

to ? (forgot who posted this) the CELL phone is a great idea. My home health nurse got me to program my cell phone to remind me to take my meds. It is a nice reminder, and I encourage others to use this as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X