to work or not that is the ? HELP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to work or not that is the ? HELP!!!!

Been on disability since 1991. DX with MS in 2000. Have numerous health issues. Due to hubby's loss of income from 2008 back to work for short time in 2010 off again until last year, we have used all our 401k to stay afloat.

Pain during standing and severe heat issues are the most difficult ones to deal with regarding working and GETTING things done just around the house.

Due to financial issues, I feel I really need to go back to work to help build our 401k back. Problems are the following: am currently 65 & can no longer do work I once did, hubby is 56. He fears my disability will be stopped if I try to work and worries about that and prefers I not try.

I can tell my cog function is dipping (quite irritating just saying). When I say heat issues I mean ANYTHING over 70 degrees IS a problem. So other than working in an ice house what would I apply for these days?

Clearly I have a computer and could use spell ck and I can use the phone and work from home. I used to be a telecommunications engineer and also drove for UPS 30 yrs ago. Am dismayed to say I am unable to perform at the level required for either one of those employers.

Thus the reason for my ? Does anyone have any idea what I could do a few days a week or from home (no scams please) that would provide some cash flow? Am open to most any idea. Am a people person, have some creative abilities just slower and can't take the heat. Am I doomed to revisit the I FEEL WORTHLESS ROOM like "I've fallen and can't get up" mode or is there something I could achieve to contribute financially to our future? Thoughts anyone anyone??????

You state that you are currently 65, so I am putting your birth around 1947? If so, aren't to going to be reverted to full social security benefits vs. disability by your 66th birthday?

Before I would start looking for a job prior to age 66, I would probably pose this question to the Attorney here on MSWorld.

However, some possible jobs for you would be a receptionist, a arts and crafts assistant at a senior center, assisted living or nursing home, or their are some jobs at the non profits such as being a scheduler for volunteers, and other light admin type duties. If you want one of these jobs, it is best to get with your Local County Recruiting Job Bank...they usually have insight as to which positions are open.

Good Luck
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Your thread really caught my eye. I have never seen someone with M.S. leave the workforce and return later. Since MS is progressive and getting put on SSDI is such a horrific journey, many fear trying "the ticket back to work".

The financial toll this disease takes on us in our prime is one of my top 5 list for why MS is the worst disease in the world!

So sorry. Let us know what you decide. You could help many of us who are dealing with very similar problems.
      Tawanda

Comment

The other poster raised a good point. Your situation is different than most of the people on disability. Once you turn 66 you will have reached full retirement age. At 66 you will be transferred to regular retirement and there will no longer be any income restrictions. You can earn as much money as you want to or can without affecting your monthly retirement benefit. You can confirm this by going to the social security website (www.ssa.gov) or calling them.

There might not be very much you can do from home working for somebody else that will make you much money. Anything you can do from home on your computer can be done by someone else outside the US for a few dollars a day rather than a few dollars an hour. You might have to get hired somewhere that might then be able to have you do some of your work from home. There might be some customer service phone jobs or phone receptionist jobs that you can do from home.

If you own your home you might want to look into a reverse mortgage that could help your cash flow.

Comment

thanks so much for insight

I was not aware that at 66 I would go OFF disability and onto regular SS. I HAVE been reading and trying to figure out when this would occur, why, how, who, what, etc etc only to be totally confused with the government speak they use. lol

I am not real excited to try and go back as you mentioned due to the getting onto disability issues in the first place. However, $$ is really needed at this time as NO 401 left with me at 66 in a few months and dh at 56 currently. We have to get some flow in from somewhere. I have all that I can on Craigslist which isn't much.

Thought of making jewelry, crafts, etc. to sell at flea market however that entails much business issues to jump through hoops. Duh I know I am wanting this to be easy as the dealing with the MS is totally enough fun for me. lol

However, you have provided SEVERAL types of employment I had not thought of and could possibly pursue and might even enjoy. (now that would be amazing right???

I will ck with attorney to clear up my confusion (imagine having cognitive issues with MS say it ain't so!!! he he ) I appreciate the insight it has been most helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by jkforrest View Post
            I was not aware that at 66 I would go OFF disability and onto regular SS. I HAVE been reading and trying to figure out when this would occur, why, how, who, what, etc etc only to be totally confused with the government speak they use. lol

I am not real excited to try and go back as you mentioned due to the getting onto disability issues in the first place. However, $$ is really needed at this time as NO 401 left with me at 66 in a few months and dh at 56 currently. We have to get some flow in from somewhere. I have all that I can on Craigslist which isn't much.

Thought of making jewelry, crafts, etc. to sell at flea market however that entails much business issues to jump through hoops. Duh I know I am wanting this to be easy as the dealing with the MS is totally enough fun for me. lol

However, you have provided SEVERAL types of employment I had not thought of and could possibly pursue and might even enjoy. (now that would be amazing right???

I will ck with attorney to clear up my confusion (imagine having cognitive issues with MS say it ain't so!!! he he ) I appreciate the insight it has been most helpful.
            Thank YOU for the insight! Do you have any kids who still factor in to your life in a major energy draining way? I don't know if my DD is keeping me going or totally draining my energy. It seems if you take the kid factor out and put the SS factor in, there may be some employment options. Who knows though. M.S. is so tough. It totally amazes me some with M.S. are still employed and not on SSDI.
            Tawanda

Comment

reply to Tawanda ?'s

I have two adult daughters. I am currently reconnecting with the oldest after a 7 yr exile. She is in therapy and I just this evening sent a text telling her if she can be honest & allow for cognitive issues perhaps we can repair the relationship. If she is not up for that I can't start only to be slapped down again as my heart can't take it.

She does not speak to her sister for the last two years and has no idea why. We are dealing with the same situation with her. I was babysitting my two grandchildren and then not allowed to see them for 8 yrs. Last yr we were asked and allowed to start watching grandson play baseball. We went for 7 times then she imploded why we still don't know.

Husband sent letter which was refused and returned to try and find out what we could have done. She refuses to speak or allow children to even look at us when we finally decided to go to his games anyway.

Recently grandson 11 does look to see if we are there and did take water from hubby when his mother wasn't watching and said thank you twice. Clearly he has no issue. His sister will be 14 in Sept. She went from extremely shy last yr to this: during the last 4=8 games has said the following to me 1. I don't like you because your ugly. 2. told her in bathroom where we were alone we loved her and always would her reply-we are not related and you are a b- - - -!! My reply that is unbecoming language for a young lady as yourself.

The games will be over in two weeks and we will not be allowed to see them until he plays again next March. Yes the stress is HUGE and we still have no idea what we have done. Her sister doesn't know what she did either. This is actually MUCH worse than any symptoms, pain or the 17 surgeries I've had. It is devastating to me and cause much heart ache!!!

Comment

I am sorry to pry, but why don't you just ask her?
                Not is an accusatory way, but honestly and sweetly.
                You may be surprised at her answer. You have to be alone together to do this. Meet her after work, or ask to speak with her on a mother daughter lunch date. When she tells you, accept that that is how she feels and make a change if you can or repair the damage. If she is "nuts," then you don't need the madness, she needs help.

Family issues and problems are rarely easy. We have the same problem in our family. My brothers (all 3) will not speak to my mother. Sadly, I understand why they won't.
                She doesn't "get it," and probably never will. She won't apologize. I think that is very shortsighted. She is truly tormented by their absence, and wants to be a part of their full lives. I want this for her too, but she is too proud to reach out. She is 88, and this problem has been ongoing for about 10 years.

Our situations our very different, but it happens. I would continue to try to reach out to my daughter, as you have the grandchildren to consider.

Comment

As far as work, I would not go back yet.
                  I would keep on with your disability, as you are disabled.
                  When you turn 66, you can work from home.
                  Maybe you can be a "coder."
                  This is a person that codes medical procedures and tests so that the doctors and the hospitals get paid.
                  Maybe there is someone on this website that knows how to get a job doing this after some training.
                  It is a computer job, so you can sit somewhere and do it.

Good for you, that you can work a little. Some of the people here can't, and my heart aches for them.

I pray that doctors will find a cure.

Good Luck to you.
                  Hugs.
                  I miss my family, the way it used to be, too.

Comment

susqu38

I sent a letter to her before saying: I am sorry for anything I did that caused you hurt or pain. I'm sorry how can we work things out. No reply. Husband tried to give her a letter last yr. She refused to take it even though he just helped her and 3 others take down tent/awning to keep out sun/rain.

Last two games: 1. after lst game she moved into dug out to keep scored after asking ref.my hubby told me. 2. after I came to 2nd game was there 4-5 min. she moved her folding chair from middle of 6-8 people to way past third base in the outfield area away from everyone all alone and stayed the rest of the game.

She is a grown woman. I have been told/ask by several if she has mental issues. She may need RX or therapy. I have no idea. I can't make her talk, admit she needs help, take RX or speak to me. Clearly she has told her daughter something or she would not have been so hateful and rude. What that could be I have no idea.

She won't talk to her sister and tell her what their problems is either. Her sister and I do NOT discuss this other than what I just stated. I feel that is between them and none of my business. Does it hurt me that they don't speak yes truly it does. However, I can't make her speak to her sister or me.

At this point, I can only pray about it as she will not receive any information unless of course I were to hand it to her children and tell THEM to give it to her. She for sure would take it and read it then however would be FURIOUS that I had involved them even though they are involved as she is keeping them from their grandparents that love them dearly. I prefer not to go through the children as this is an adult issue and I have been trying to take the high road and be the adult in this situation.

BTW she did work for her father however, according to what I learned she got mad and left him a note and didn't go back!!! This seems to be a pattern for her. I have no clue as to what is wrong. Neither does anyone else. I can't fix anything unless one is willing to have an adult conversation.

If you have any other thoughts or ideas I welcome them. Yes I totally agree with you as speaking nicely would be great, however we have attempted that.

Comment

Working...
                    X