Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo

I mentioned before that my new neuro had me going to a Balance and Gait Center. Best PT I've ever had, as it addresses specifically the issues I'm dealing with, and just doesn't run me through a PT routine.

So I went in yesterday and had been having dizzy spells all morning, and was nauseated. My PT decided this would be a great day to test for the BPPV (which she had planned to do at some point in the therapy.)

My dizzy spells have been chalked up to MS, by neuros in the past, and I was told to take a benzo when it hit. I have grab bars all over the bathrooms...because when it hits, all I can do is say "Whoa" and hold onto something until it passes. When she mentioned it could be positional, that made sense because I'm always up and moving when it happens.

So we did the test...so cool, they put you in a position to trigger the dizziness (then they take a video of your eyes during the dizziness phase, you get nystagmus.) Then she taught me the maneuvers used to calm it down...and it worked like a charm. After doing the maneuvers about 3 times, the dizziness had completely subsided to the point I could do the original dizziness inducing position with no dizziness..

Now I might have to do this often, or sometimes the maneuvers can keep everything "status quo" for a long time. Finally something that's not related to MS. I really
    like my new neuro and appreciate him sending me places to explore other options rather than just RX a med.

Note: only a therapist can determine if your dizziness is BPPV or CNS vertigo. But don't let them write it off as CNS vertigo, see if they'll prescribe the test especially since if that's what you have, it's correctable, you can't cure it, but you can treat it and correct it. From what I gathered CNS vertigo is much harder to treat, and usually you are prescribed meds for that.

The new neuro also sent me for a sleep study, I'm embarrassed to know how much I snore an hour. But it showed lapses in respiration and low O2 levels. Tried another sleep study with the CPAP and everything improvedl So that's another positive...maybe some of the
    fatigue is coming from the lack of sleep (although if you had asked me before the test, I would have told you that I sleep well and don't snore)...but this test proved my husband was right

This is a great post and I am so glad you have the peripheral type of dizziness and vertigo. I keep telling folks there are two types and one is more common, the BPPV, than CNS.

Since this was my presenting symptom, I had to go to an ENT who did the tests, he then referred me to the neuro and that is when we found the lesions. CNS Dizziness and Vertigo is a lot less common and it is unfortunate that it can not be controlled by Vestibular Therapy exercises.

Again, I am happy that it is BPPV! That is a great win!
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

This is great information to share. For any Canadians wishing to look into this, physiotherapists in Canada will refer to a treatment called Vestibular Rehabilitation. It is described as:

Vestibular Rehabilitation has been shown to be a highly effective tool in the management of vertigo caused by an insult to the vestibular system. Certified Vestibular Physiotherapists are trained to assist clients through a systematic approach of assessment and progression of vestibular rehabilitation exercises.

Thank you for sharing this and I'm glad you having good results

Comment

I get BPPV every spring if I'm not on antihistamines--even if I have no other symptoms of allergies. My PCP taught me how to do the Epley maneuver at home, and it really helped. It's nice to know something that's broken isn't MS!

Comment

I read this post a couple of times because I was diagnosed with BPPV last week. I was given Brandt-Daroff exercises to do. Next week I am scheduled for a videonystagmography test. I am glad to know that if it is BPPV, it is correctable.
          Thanks for the info.

Take good care!
          "Irrespective of what happened yesterday or last year, and what may or may not happen tomorrow, the present moment is where you are-always!"
          Richard Carlson, PH.D.

Comment

Originally posted by apple19 View Post
            I read this post a couple of times because I was diagnosed with BPPV last week. I was given Brandt-Daroff exercises to do. Next week I am scheduled for a videonystagmography test. I am glad to know that if it is BPPV, it is correctable.
            Thanks for the info.

Take good care!
            I, too, am grateful there is a treatment

I was taught the Eppley maneuver to use if I'm having an acute flair, i.e. dizzy. Then they taught me those exercises you mentioned, 2x a day in order to keep everything in check.

Comment

Working...
            X