Is there a silver lining?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a silver lining?

I was wondering if MS seems to provide protection against some other illnesses. Are the rates for other diseases the same in people with MS as the general population?

Wouldn't it be nice if we could feel that there is one certain thing about our future health?

No unfortunately it doesn't appear there is any protection from other ailments.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Nope, no get out of jail free card.

My MS silver lining is in finding out who my friends really are, just how far my loved ones will really go for me and how far I will go for them.

Not to mention the fact that being a wheelchair user now allows me to wear heels as high as I want without worry...I'm not walking in them. Plus, they last forever since they see no wear.

Comment

I believe that because we have an "overactive" immune system, MS'ers are in better general health than the rest of the population.

Comment

I think in general, and this is just in Katieville so it is my opinion only, MSers normally are in better health than the general population.

Most of us tend to make better food choices, we get lots of rest, a good percentage of us are not drinking alcohol because we are on certain meds that prevent that, most MSers have given up cigarette smoking or are trying to quit, and I think a lot of us exercise to the best of our ability when we can and watch our weight.

I don't think MS has any properties that protect us against any other illness though. Sure would be a nice benefit though...I would like it to protect me from Shingles!
          Katie
          "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
          "My MS is a Journey for One."
          Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

My opinion only, although MS doesn't give us any health benefits, it does make colds/flu seem like a cake walk by comparison. Everything is relative.
            Jen
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Originally posted by golfore View Post
              I believe that because we have an "overactive" immune system, MS'ers are in better general health than the rest of the population.
              This is exactly how I feel. My whole family can be coughing and sneezing with a head cold, and I don't get them at all. I seem to have that super human immune system. I'd gladly trade it off.

I don't even get bitten by mosquitos!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsBones View Post
                Not to mention the fact that being a wheelchair user now allows me to wear heels as high as I want without worry...I'm not walking in them. Plus, they last forever since they see no wear.
                I'm normally not a fan of seeing the glass half full but I love this!

All my shoes right now suck because I need comfort and sensibility. Thank you for the only thing I have yet to find to possibly look forward to as this monster takes more and more from me.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
                  My opinion only, although MS doesn't give us any health benefits, it does make colds/flu seem like a cake walk by comparison. Everything is relative.
                  Jen
                  I agree! Since I feel like **** everyday, no telling how many colds/flus have come and gone since I got M.S.! No telling how much money I've saved on Nyquil and Theraflu as a result!
                  Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
                    I think in general, and this is just in Katieville so it is my opinion only, MSers normally are in better health than the general population.

Most of us tend to make better food choices, we get lots of rest, a good percentage of us are not drinking alcohol because we are on certain meds that prevent that, most MSers have given up cigarette smoking or are trying to quit, and I think a lot of us exercise to the best of our ability when we can and watch our weight.

I don't think MS has any properties that protect us against any other illness though. Sure would be a nice benefit though...I would like it to protect me from Shingles!
                    I think things in Katieville sound fine and dandy. Your points are valid. Personally I am taking much better care of myself since this M.S. thing hit! I we still had personal messaging, I could tell you how just how sordid things in Tawandaville used to be!
                    Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                      I'm normally not a fan of seeing the glass half full but I love this!

All my shoes right now suck because I need comfort and sensibility. Thank you for the only thing I have yet to find to possibly look forward to as this monster takes more and more from me.
                      Happy I gave you something to look forward to. I'm more of a glass 3/4 empty girl, myself. Still means the glass is 1/4 full. Just don't always see it.

The shoes are part of the 1/4, along with people being more willing to reach the top shelf in the supermarket. When I was just 4' 10" short, I'd get ignored or blown off, but very few are unwilling to help the short-because-she's-in-a-wheelchair chick. There's also skipping lines at Disney and having legit reasons to skip out of lousy parties or dates early.

Back on topic, personally, despite taking better care of myself, my immune system is the same as always. I still catch everything. My immune system isn't over active, it's just confused. It attacks me as well as all the stuff it did before. That's why I get every vaccine I can. I need the help.

Comment

Ha ha ha ha, ha ha, ha ha.

Comment

I have read that many people with MS seem to have been quite healthy before they got MS. It does seem likely this is because of a overactive immune response. Of course, having an overactive immune response isn't healthy either.

I've found the same thing as others when it comes to being in a wheelchair. I have been granted more 'social rope' and really like that. We should all be just as gracious to everyone in a chair or not. We never know what people are suffering silently.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiela View Post
                            I have read that many people with MS seem to have been quite healthy before they got MS. It does seem likely this is because of a overactive immune response. Of course, having an overactive immune response isn't healthy either.

I've found the same thing as others when it comes to being in a wheelchair. I have been granted more 'social rope' and really like that. We should all be just as gracious to everyone in a chair or not. We never know what people are suffering silently.
                            I have heard one theory that all these autoimmune problems could be a result of evolution and our immune systems
                            getting TOO good at their job!
                            Tawanda

Comment

So we are supper evolved humans. i like that.
                              Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
                              I have heard one theory that all these autoimmune problems could be a result of evolution and our immune systems
                              getting TOO good at their job!

Comment

Working...
                              X