Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to go from here?

Hi,
    I have been diagnosed with MS for over 5 years and have been on Copaxone between my 2 pregnancies. My symptoms are fairly stable and I have learned to deal with them all the while working hard on eating well, keeping weight off, and keeping active.

However. I seem to go through these cycles in which the fatigue and cognitive dysfunction seem to consume me. It is incredibly frustrating which can leads me to be short tempered and slightly depressed (definitely not a part of my personality). I find this unacceptable.

I have talked to my neuro about this. He first asked if it was around my time of the month. It is not. And then seem to think I should just live with it. I don't really want to go on more medications but I will if I need to and if other techniques fail.

I feel just a bit loss. I so badly want to correct this but I don't know who (or what resources) to reach out to for help.

Any advice?

Noodlebug: You may want to try some Amantidine or Provigil as needed to keep you awake and sharpen your mind. You don't have to take them all of the time, but for someone like you they may for for the time being. I have those cyclical exhaustion days with cog fog, and have tried both. Provigil works better for me, but I have tried Amantidine too.

I hope you can find something that will work for you because that tired foggy feeling is miserable. Talk with your neurologist and see what you can come up with. Just be honest with him and tell him you can't take it anymore without something to help out.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes, OK?

Take care
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Have you ever tried a SSRI?
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
        Noodlebug: You may want to try some Amantidine or Provigil as needed to keep you awake and sharpen your mind. You don't have to take them all of the time, but for someone like you they may for for the time being. I have those cyclical exhaustion days with cog fog, and have tried both. Provigil works better for me, but I have tried Amantidine too.

I hope you can find something that will work for you because that tired foggy feeling is miserable. Talk with your neurologist and see what you can come up with. Just be honest with him and tell him you can't take it anymore without something to help out.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes, OK?

Take care
        Lisa
        Moderation Team
        I had forgotten about Provigil. I was on it a while back and it did help. I will definitely add that to my options list. I remember Concerta helped quite a bit too but I don't know if he would give me a rx for that unless I get my cog fxn testing redone.

I know this sounds silly but I always kind of hope there are some techniques I could use to help me get through these spells (similar to what ADHD patients might use in trying to get off medications).

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
          Have you ever tried a SSRI?
          Good suggestion but I was on an SSRI for 10 years and I hated it. It kept me from feeling anything. So that is def something I want to avoid at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by noodlebug View Post
            Good suggestion but I was on an SSRI for 10 years and I hated it. It kept me from feeling anything. So that is def something I want to avoid at this point.
            I wouldn't rule it out because there are many different ones and even though in the same class can have different reactions.

Looking at the possibility of a depression diagnosis and treating with antidepressant would be a much preferred over starting a stimulant medication, imo.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Hi,
              I seem to go through these cycles in which the fatigue and cognitive dysfunction seem to consume me. It is incredibly frustrating which can leads me to be short tempered and slightly depressed (definitely not a part of my personality).
              You have a few options. I am tired 24/7 despite how much I sleep so take a stimulant medication. There are a few different kind you can take, I'm on 10 mg of generic Adderall twice a day.

Also, an antidepressant is something to consider. I take 10 mg of Lexapro. It's not a lot, but it helps keep me sane.

If you don't want to take more medication, have you considered talking to a therapist? I saw a therapist for about 6 months while I was pregnant and taking no medications. The benefit is that a professional can give you the tools to help you deal with some of the issues you are having.
              Lori
              Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

Originally posted by lorib View Post
                You have a few options. I am tired 24/7 despite how much I sleep so take a stimulant medication. There are a few different kind you can take, I'm on 10 mg of generic Adderall twice a day.

Also, an antidepressant is something to consider. I take 10 mg of Lexapro. It's not a lot, but it helps keep me sane.

If you don't want to take more medication, have you considered talking to a therapist? I saw a therapist for about 6 months while I was pregnant and taking no medications. The benefit is that a professional can give you the tools to help you deal with some of the issues you are having.
                Did the therapist suggest anything interesting? (that you would be willing to share.). I found that keeping lots of lists on my white board helps with my focus and helps motivate me to get things done.

Comment

Did the therapist suggest anything interesting? (that you would be willing to share.)
                  The biggest benefit, for me, was having a neutral person I could talk to about what was going on. A lot of it was related to my relationship with my husband. I would tell her about situations that made me mad/upset/frustrated with him and she helped me to see it in a different way. A lot of my problem was that I was very defensive so I needed to stop being defensive for no reason.

We made lists together. One of them was how I could get myself in a good mood when I was feeling grouchy. I don't remember what I had on my list but it was silly stuff like singing along to the radio in the car and dancing with my kids. You can probably "Google" something generic like "How to get out of a bad mood" or "How to be happy" and you'll find some ideas. I'm sorry I can't offer any one thing that will work but basically it's a matter of choosing to be happy instead of grouchy. It's tough to do that when you're dealing with issues brought on by MS but the times you can do it you'll remember and knowing you've done it before might be enough to get you out of a future slump you may find yourself in.
                  Lori
                  Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

Working...
                  X