L'hermitte's on one side?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L'hermitte's on one side?

Has anyone had this only on one side? Last night I was trying to go to sleep and started getting this shock sensation down half of my body and in half of my face. All my left side felt like it was getting zapped! I moved my head since my neck was bent a little funny and it stopped. Moved my head again to where it was and it came back. Moved it normal and it went away. And I tried it again and the same thing.

I didn't bend my neck down though, just to the side a bit as I was sleeping on my side. Is this the same thing as the L'hermitte's sign?

Had it once

I've had l'hermettes once before during a flare, and it was just in my head, not throughout my body.

It felt like elastics were being snapped inside my head. If I bent my head downwards, I would get electrical shocks.

I was on a course of prednisone for that flare, and it eventually went away.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Dx May 2002 RRMS
    Rebif Sept 2002 to June 2011
    Gilenya June 2011 - present
    EDSS 0.0

Comment

Every once in a while when I turn my head to the right I get an electric shock down the left side of my head and neck and down my spine. It is tremendously painful. My tongue goes numb. I am stopped dead in my tracks for a few seconds till it subsides.

I told my neuro about it and he said it was l'hermettes.

The strange thing is it has happened nearly all my life. Have I had MS that long? I was dx'd 3 years ago.

J
      Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Yes, I have had it just on one side. This was during a flare. I did not know what was going one. I waited over a week to tell my Neuro. I thought I was going nuts. By the time I got to the Neuro I was crying all the time because of the electrical shocks.
        Call your Neuro and let him/her know about it.
        Best wishes coming your way.
        SgrammieD

Comment

wendya432,

Since you do not have a diagnosis you should discuss this with your Doctor.

If this is only happening when you lay down in a certain position, then in my opinion, it is not L'hermitte's sign.

L'hermitte's happens when ever you bend your head down (as noted by others there can be some variations). The sensations (buzzing/vibrations, electrical shocks) will only last seconds but can be repeated each time you bend your head down.

L'Hermittes sign is not exclusive to MS and has other causes. When related to MS, L'Hermittes is caused by lesions on the cervical spine.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
          X